Thread: Not regular on primal page

PrimalRedhead is offline Junior Member

Not regular on primal

Primal Fuel
    So I am now on day 8 of my primal/paleo experiment, with the primary goal being to cure my chronic bloating and stomach distention. So far, I am really enjoying this--I find the plan easy to do, and I feel very energetic, my skin is smoother and softer, and while I haven't weighed myself, my clothes feel looser. As for my stomach, I've had some days that were ok and some days that were brutal (I keep a food journal and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this), but even on the "ok" days I did not feel the flat, empty, NORMAL sensation I am so desperate to achieve. Part of the reason, I believe, is that I have not been regular on this plan, the way I was when I was eating a huge bowl of oatmeal every morning. I am eating lots of veggies and taking coconut oil every day, so I'm not sure why this would be the case. Is this normal, and does it eventually work itself out? I figured that the change in eating habits probably threw off my system, but I'm wondering if there's something else I could be doing to improve the situation.
    Thanks!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    It took me three months for my gut to adjust. I also used to start my day with a huge bowl of oatmeal, and I think my body was trained to expect that. I'm not sure in the end if it was just the passage of time or the fact that I added magnesium supplements (which I've since stopped, without any negative effects).

I've also heard that probiotics can help repopulate the gut with the good bacteria that produces healthy poop. I didn't try that (other than through eating yogurt).

One other thought: I'm on day 6 or 7 of no dairy. That has upped my coconut milk/coconut oil intake, and for the first time since being on primal, I've actually had really loose poop. Was it the lack of constipating dairy? Or the additional coconut stuff? Not sure.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    you don't undo a lifetime of dietary indiscretions in 8 days, unfortunately. Give it time. You may want to consider a digestive supplement, I prefer the Now Foods Superenzyme (capsules! not tablets). A probiotic might not hurt either, though I've never taken one so nothing to recommend there. Magnesium supplement (Natural Calm) has also really helped me as well, though I originally started taking it for other reasons.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

christi@japan is offline Junior Member
    I am also a newbie and I have gone from a once a day poop to once ever 2 or 3 days. :/ I think if you think about it, a lot of this is lack of the grainy bulk. I was kinda worried, so had some coconut milk and that cleaned me out...and still not much there. Most of the food is being used and not 'wasted' like it is in a grain heavy diet. The quantity of it is so much less.

Stay away from the grain, maybe cut dairy and add some coconut milk or cook in some coconut oil. Also, Prunes are sooo sweet when you arent eating other stuff. One or two might help. But in total honesty, I bet there is just LESS waste. The tummy issues will take time as your body changes. I am a week ahead of you and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Mom of 4 awesome kids, wife to one great husband; all on our way to living PRIMAL.My Mantra: I am not a Number:weight, clothing size,etc. I am in it for the HEALTH!

kikibaba is offline Junior Member
    Alot of stomach acid is needed to break down protein. Betaine hydrochloride works like a charm......Probiotics,magnesium all great for a healthy digestive tract.