Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hunting page

jastclark is offline Junior Member

hunting

Shop Now
    So i am going out for deer season, this is the first year as a PB'er, what organ meats should I attempt to salvage and how should I prepare them? I have never dealt with organs in a way of intending to eat.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Organ meats can't be saved for later. You have to eat them where the deer falls. Pics.

Wow, no one called me out on that? lol

Coincidentally, I harvested a deer tonight. I kept the heart and liver. They're in the freezer now.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I was just gonna call you out on that- LOL!

Liver, heart and tongue are my favorites. I have recipes also for brains. Depending on where you live and how disease-free the deer population is (or isn't) you may not want the liver/brains.

I don't have stats for diseases in central SC and NC, but I generally freeze the meat/organs and not use them before at least two weeks have passed.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Here is a map with Chronic Wasting Disease distribtuion:

http://www.cwd-info.org/index.php/fuseaction/about.map

I don't think freezing will kill prions - so if you are worried about them, best to avoid brain, spinal cord, tonsils, and lymphatic tissue. Same website has info about how to avoid if you are interested.
    Last edited by jammies; 11-12-2010 at 06:43 PM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I do the freezing method with my other meats that are prone to rabies (especially coyote, fox and raccoon.) I give it 2 months in the freeze, but those things get cooked well anyways. Better safe than sorry. Deer, however, is much safer. One of my favorite pleasures is raw deer meat, but even that gets frozen first.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Generally you can save the heart, liver, kidneys, tongue and brains (as long as chronic wasting isn't an issue where you are hunting). If you plan on making sausages you may want to save some small intestine to use for casings! Also if you get a buck you can save the 'rocky mountain oysters!"

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Don't have much to add that hasn't been said already, but "rocky mtn oysters", no thanks, tried once, NEVER again!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
    Don't have much to add that hasn't been said already, but "rocky mtn oysters", no thanks, tried once, NEVER again!
    I'll admit that while I went ahead and saved the heart, liver and kidneys /I/ didn't save the oysters either. Or the tongue (cause it's damn hard to get out!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast