Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strength training without getting bulky? page

BoyPrimal is offline Senior Member

Strength training without getting bulky?

Primal Fuel
    I'm hoping someone can give me a better understanding of strength training without adding too much size? I don't have weight to lose anymore. I'm in great shape, but I've stabilized at around 165lbs which is already a thick build on a 5'7" guy; I don't want to get much thicker.

Right now I eat completely PB, I try to get 1g of protein per lb of body weight each day, and I keep the carbs below 100 most of the time.

2-3 days a week I either do strength training at the gym, or go to the park and use my own body weight, I go hiking once or twice a week, and I bike and swim for sprints when I get the impulse.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Try isometrics.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Keep the intensity up (weight) and keep the reps low, max of 6 though sometimes you can have higher rep days if you're doing lighter weight or bodyweight work. If you're not eating a lot don't worry about adding size.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    The simple answer is that you just need to eat maintenance levels of food while keeping a solid strength program. You won't become more "bulky" just because of the program you follow...
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    +1 on lifting heavy and keeping reps low.
    you won't get bulky unless you are eating more calories than you need. muscle won't just appear; it needs food to supply it. you can increase your strength while staying lean by eating at maintenance and working out correctly. i keep getting stronger and smaller just following the PB and mark's fitness book.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    Try isometrics.
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHA "This antipersonnel mine weighs eight pounds. Not much, but try holding it with an outstretched arm. Hell of a workout."
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Getting bulky has more to do with your genetics that what program you follow.

If you are already a muscular guy without having really tried you are more likely to gain muscle no matter what program you are on.

An Olympic lifter will never have a gymnast's body no matter how many time he rides the pommel horse.

High intensity plus low reps plus a ton of food is the recipe for bulk.

High intensity plus low reps plus a maintenance level of food is the recipe for burnout.

I would stick to body weight exercises. You will get stronger at those exercise and gain endurance with those exercises but lack of progressive overload should keep added bulk to a minimum (depending on how easy you add bulk of course).
    Last edited by chima_p; 11-12-2010 at 06:02 AM.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    You won't get big without trying, don't eat too much and so whatever exercises are fun for you.

BoyPrimal is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, what's eating too much? I've been really hungry lately; I'm probably taking in around 2500 a day.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I don't really think people get huge bulky muscles without actively trying to. I think to really get those bulging bodybuilder pecs you've got to actively try to get them, doing tons of high reps / low weight stuff plus very careful eating. Everyone is different of course, and I'm a hardgainer type so I'm not one to talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast