Thread: Wondering what percentage is considered low carb? page

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

Wondering what percentage is considered low carb?

I only found one site that even mentioned it. According to that site I eat VLC because only 10-20% of my calories come from carbohydrate.

Is there a 'rule' about this or is it more of a personal thing? I would consider 20% to be low carb and not VLC, what about you?
    http://www.everydiet.org/diet/low-carb-diets

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    The Primal Blueprint Carbohydrate Curve

Is the percentage even relevant?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Assuming a 2000 kcal daily intake, PB maintenance is 400-600 kcal or 20-30% calories from carbs, weight loss sweet spot is 200-400 kcal or 10-20%. A different caloric intake would change the percentages of course, and I get the feeling that Mark formulated the PB Carb Curve based on his own, circa-2500 kcal intake.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    The percentage is relevant for me. Overall for the PB I figure probably not. But, I have insulin resistance and hypothyroidism, so basically a messed up metabolism. If I go too high on the carb ratio I stall my weight loss. I don't count carbs. I eat to satisfy my hunger, but I do track my food at the end of the day a few times a week. If I find that I have not lost weight in a week or so I will track everyday and see what the problem is. It usually ends up being too many carbs, but sometimes it is too few carbs.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think there's an official "low-carb" designation, in terms of percentage or anything else.

It seems to me that on a practial level, "low-carb" is an individualized concept depending on metabolic health, activity level, and goals. For example, my "low carb" on active days may be 85g, while on less active days I'd consider 85 too high and back it down to around 65g.

(Gracious, that takes me back to the carb-counting days during my first few months of primal! )
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid