Thread: When it rains, I do Bad Things...but not THIS bad! page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

When it rains, I do Bad Things...but not THIS bad!

Shop Now
    Like popping into an acquaintance's chocolate and ice cream shop for a large mocha and a slice of her homemade dark choc & orange cake (well, I had to do something while I was waiting for the storm to pass - well that's MY excuse and I'm sticking to it! I did make myself walk the long way home - in the rain. I was drenched by the time I got back; it wasn't raining when I left, so I didn't take my waterproof - and then I got soaked every time a car drove through a puddle!).

Anyway, as I was enjoying my 20% treat, a woman comes in with a baby in a buggy and buys 2 500ml tubs of ice cream. Now, I thought she was going to whip out a coolbag and take them home, but no; she sits down at a table and proceeds to eat one herself - and then starts feeding her daughter from the other! She finishes hers - and the baby (I would say she was only a year - she can't walk yet, I've seen them at the park before now - but she's the size of a 2 year old) eats about 2/3s of the tub her mother bought for her!

When they left, I looked aghast at the girl working there and she told me that they come in and do this about 4 or 5 times A WEEK!!!

Now, I don't want to tell someone how to bring up their child - but feeding a baby ice-cream (even top- quality, premium, homemade ice-cream) that regularly isn't that rather cruel? They're not English (I believe they're Russian - maybe that's what they do in Russia; maybe ice-cream is a staple over there).

The assistant told me that she has a 2-year-old daughter and that baby is rather larger than her toddler! If it was me, I'd refuse to serve her if she came in for ice-cream for a baby that often (but of course you can't dictate how someone raises their child; I do worry about the state of her teeth; you hear about very young kids having to have some - or even all - of their milk teeth pulled because they were weaned on a very sugar-rich diet).

Right, talking of diets it's time for my tea!

Sarah
    La tristesse durera toujours...

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    So that's a bit more than a pint? That would be those Ben & Jerry containers. Hubby and I would regularly eat one of those at a time. Our kids could, too, if we let them. So glad we don't do that now. Saw a kid like that at the laundromat last week. Pudgy as heck. Kid ate cookies, yogurt, sugary drink, chips, etc. And they were only there like an hour. I get wanting your kids to be quiet, but to the point of shoveling food in them 24/7? Poor baby.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by LessofMimi View Post
    So that's a bit more than a pint? That would be those Ben & Jerry containers. Hubby and I would regularly eat one of those at a time. Our kids could, too, if we let them. So glad we don't do that now. Saw a kid like that at the laundromat last week. Pudgy as heck. Kid ate cookies, yogurt, sugary drink, chips, etc. And they were only there like an hour. I get wanting your kids to be quiet, but to the point of shoveling food in them 24/7? Poor baby.

You're about my age, aren't you...? Think Cabbage Patch Kid. Found my 'Preemie' in the loft the other day - complete with 'birth' certificate!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

splunky is offline Senior Member
    I have a friend who feeds her kids complete junk and can't figure out why they have eczema, allergies, are sick all the time, won't sleep well and have horrible behavior! She told me her 3 yo's diet for a wk and i was astonished!
    This is one day...........
    Bfast: choc milk, maple and brown sugar instaant oatmeal
    snack: (at preschool) pumpkin ice cream, bread, water
    lunch: grilled cheese (honey wheat bread, american cheese, smart balance)
    tomato soup made w/ water, grapes
    6pm-stouffers animal crackers
    6:30-8:30-corn dogs (turkey) sour cream and onion potato chips, grape juice
    sugar free fudgecicle
    mustard & ketchup

Is it just me or is this crazy!?

BTW, I LOVED Cabbage Patch Kids! I just gave mine to my daughter (who is only 4 and cant appreciate them yet-ohwell) because i just couldn't wait any longer! I told her to treat them special cause they were mama's special babies when i was little. lol She is super cute with them, although she plays more with stuffed animals than babies.

So, did you feel really gross after the ice cream?

gingergenocide is offline Junior Member
    Sorry, but that amount of ice cream is tantamount to child abuse. If you're raising a child there's no excuse for this sort of shameful ignorance, it's impossible to believe that this mother believes such an amount of ice cream is good for her child - so yes, child abuse.

dc