Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favorite nutrient rich foods. Best bang for your carb buck. page

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member

Your favorite nutrient rich foods. Best bang for your carb buck.

Shop Now
    I am trying to get the best nutrient rich foods that will give me the needed Potassium, magnesium, calcium, salt and water. I got the water part down but am having trouble with the rest, keeping in mind that I am trying to keep my carbohydrate level bellow 100. It seems very hard to keep up the nutrient level at under 100 carbohydrates per day.

My Favorites are:

Frozen spinach
    Frozen collard greens
    baby spinach i.e. salad greens
    yams
    tomato juice
    bananas

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    avocado
    eggs
    spinach
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    kale?

I love kale. I think it's better than collard greens (though I like them too)
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Tommy7 is offline Member
    This doesn't have anything to do with your question, but your question raised a question of my own. I see that you are staying under 100 g of carbs but include yams and banana in your list of foods. I am not trying to lose weight so don't stay that low on carbs personally. I'm more in the maintenance range of carbs or more. I usually average about 150g sometimes less sometimes more. But, the reason is because I eat a sweet potato every night with dinner and I have a banana at lunch. Those two things right there are already over 60 g. Add an avacado and I'm over 70. by the time I get my veggies in and another piece of fruit or two and 100 g is long gone. But the biggest carbs in my diet per day is the yam/sweet potato and the banana. Ok, the 8oz of milk doesn't help...but even without that....you get my point

Ok....back on topic

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    kale
    seaweed
    spinach
    organs
    tomato

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnarchoGrok View Post
    I am trying to get the best nutrient rich foods that will give me the needed Potassium, magnesium, calcium, salt and water. I got the water part down but am having trouble with the rest, keeping in mind that I am trying to keep my carbohydrate level bellow 100. It seems very hard to keep up the nutrient level at under 100 carbohydrates per day.
    chard
    kale
    purslane (grows wild just about everywhere and has a boatload of potassium)
    organ meats, bone marrow

If I stick with green leafy stuff...kale, collards, lettuce, etc etc. I can get 7/8 servings in at 50g carb.

Fish for magnesium...
    tomato sure does up the potassium but also the carbs iirc....

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy7 View Post
    This doesn't have anything to do with your question, but your question raised a question of my own. I see that you are staying under 100 g of carbs but include yams and banana in your list of foods. I am not trying to lose weight so don't stay that low on carbs personally. I'm more in the maintenance range of carbs or more. I usually average about 150g sometimes less sometimes more. But, the reason is because I eat a sweet potato every night with dinner and I have a banana at lunch. Those two things right there are already over 60 g. Add an avacado and I'm over 70. by the time I get my veggies in and another piece of fruit or two and 100 g is long gone. But the biggest carbs in my diet per day is the yam/sweet potato and the banana. Ok, the 8oz of milk doesn't help...but even without that....you get my point

Ok....back on topic
    I do get your point and your point is exactly mine as well. I want the nutrition plus keep myself in the so called weight loss sweet spot under 100 carbs per day. I am starting to wonder if given my size still 320lbs if I can up the carbs to say 120 or so and still lose fat if I keep those carbs nutrient rich. I my have to experiment a bit. At first I did not exercise, now I am hiking, walking and lifting some heavy things. Will it really matter if I eat over 100 carbs per day if those carbs are good complex carbs like yams, spinach and the like. Anyone with experience?

Tommy7 is offline Member
    I don't have that much experience in all this, but "for me" the reason I have the sweet potatoes is because I usually workout a lot and I like to support my training with a little more carbs as well as not lose weight after a workout. But if I were trying to lose weight I would probably drop the yams as well as the banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy7 View Post
    I don't have that much experience in all this, but "for me" the reason I have the sweet potatoes is because I usually workout a lot and I like to support my training with a little more carbs as well as not lose weight after a workout. But if I were trying to lose weight I would probably drop the yams as well as the banana.
    I am definitely trying to lose fat but there lies the rub. How do I get what nutrients I need and still stay under the 100g carbs per day. I need to either increase carbs, supplement and keep the carbs low or find good alternatives in other foods. I did not consider avocados and will add that to my diet on a more regular basis. I will look into what fish offers nutrients as well. Anyone else have a suggestion for a fat or protein that has the electrolytes I am looking for?

it's funny when I have done CW diets I never cared. Now I see these fantastic results and am so excited that I keep looking how to make it even better. What a difference grok makes!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    What is the point of this post - are you trying to economize, or are you trying to raise your carb count for some other reason? Do you feel lethargic exercising on VLC? If that's the reason, just eat a banana before your longer workouts. If fat loss is your #1 priority though, you'll want to stick to nutrient-dense VLC foods.
    Your most nutritious foods are all very low in carbs - natural eggs, dark green veggies, liver, etc. Nutritious cheap carby foods = the sweet potato, bananas.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast