Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnesium supplements: what's the excuse? page

Hilary is online now Senior Member

Magnesium supplements: what's the excuse?

Shop Now
    OK, deliberately silly-provocative title, I admit it. But...

Vitamin D supplementation, because we're not running round outdoors naked on the savannah all day. Makes sense.

Fish oil supplementation, because the meat we eat nowadays has a messed-up ratio of Omega 6:3. Also makes sense.

Magnesium supplementation - which seems to be pretty common, with lots of people needing it to prevent night cramps - why?

Did Grok suffer from chronic night cramps for lack of magnesium pills? If not, why not?

(Are we getting mineral deficiencies because we're running scared of nuts and seeds?)

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Nope. Most of the soil veggies areis grown in now has been depleted of so many of those micronutrients like zinc, magnesium, manganese and others that there's only a small percentage in them compared to what Grok saw. In order to compensate for that, we'd have t eat much more organ meat, which now many people do. So, to compensate for both of those, I/ we supplement as necessary.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    One of the best ways to get magnesium is by swimming in mineral rich sea water. (Which is a major reason some folks like to supp w/ mag chloride oil, transdermally.) Swimming in mineral rich water, you will absorb lots of minerals through your skin. Most of us don't do this all that often though. This along w/ the (now lacking) minerals in soil mentioned by naiad are two big reasons to supplement.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I think I also heard that our water has less minerals than the water Grok would have been drinking out of streams and whatnot... but I don't remember the source so I have no idea if it's true.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Tommy7 is offline Member
    Lol....I just posted about this curiosity in another thread. I'll paste my post here:

"Since I stared browsing these forums and others like it I've seen the mention of magnesium many times. Then sooner or later it was suggested that I may need it. I was also told that everyone needs to supplement because most everyone is low due to the SAD. When I was last at my cardiologist I suggested we might check my magnesium and also thyroid (something else suggested might be a problem by forum members). He told me they don't normally check mag anymore because it is rare that they find anyone is low . He said we would check mine. It turned out it was fine, just like he said it would.....thyroid too. I was also told on forums that my potassium might be low.....that too was fine also. My doc is starting to think I'm nuts."

As one on the trade for water treatment for small towns, I can tell you that, in TX at least, that's actually true, Mayness. It usually filtered out to soften the water or to make it meet USDA/ FDA/ EPA/ state agency water quality requirements.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Ah - soil depletion - gotcha. Makes sense.

I'd still prefer to find it in food if I can. Hm. Is there any actual, direct evidence of people suffering bad effects from eating plenty of nuts and seeds? I know the theory about omega balance and phytic acid... I'm just wondering how it works out in practice with real food.

Im more concerned about the calories and carbs than o6's, just because they're such little macronurtient bombs.
    My Primal Battle Tome

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    OK, deliberately silly-provocative title, I admit it. But...

Vitamin D supplementation, because we're not running round outdoors naked on the savannah all day. Makes sense.

Fish oil supplementation, because the meat we eat nowadays has a messed-up ratio of Omega 6:3. Also makes sense.

Magnesium supplementation - which seems to be pretty common, with lots of people needing it to prevent night cramps - why?
    Because in an environment more closely resembling that in which we evolved, magnesium rich water was a significant source of said mineral - both orally, transdermally and via food caught from those waters.

Plus, grok didn't salt his food and got a *ton* more potassium than we do.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Im more concerned about the calories and carbs than o6's, just because they're such little macronurtient bombs.
    True - though so far I seem to be able to eat them without putting the weight back on.

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Because in an environment more closely resembling that in which we evolved, magnesium rich water was a significant source of said mineral - both orally, transdermally and via food caught from those waters.

Plus, grok didn't salt his food and got a *ton* more potassium than we do.

K
    Also makes sense. You often do .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast