Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perspective.... what is yours? page

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

Red face Perspective.... what is yours?

haha wow yall are putting a whole new perspective spin on paleo/primal...so on that note... seeing as to what is good or bad or paleo or not....

*what foods do YOU think have been most beneficial to us as humans? pork, chicken, beef, fish, seaweed?
    *how important are vegetables in relation to health? how much of what they 'offer' do we even absorb?
    *what foods that grok did not have, have turned out beneficial?
    *what are the odds grok ever got to eat nuts that other animals didnt get to first(id imagine animals were pretty much everywhere and doing the same thing grok was...searching for food)
    *what about fruit? LOTS of animals eat fruit and it spoils quickly after falling from trees. how much did grok ever get access to?
    * STARCHY TUBERS/root vegetable... easy to store, not very hard to 'dig up'...hard to eat w/o cooking...

to me... reenacting grok is ridiculous because we wont ever have any idea what it was really like.
    i still, i think ive said this before, think everything in relation to primal eating should be based on seasons and geographic location. even take it as far as the sun/moon location. far fetched maybe, but it makes more sense than gorging on fat which grok never did

Spring/Summer: has anyone ever locked themselves away for an entire winter?? no movement(besides sex)...i would imagine grok would be weak in the spring and absolutely happy due to an entire season of having sex, starving and looking for easy access to easy calories. fruit/fish...fructose works better in a body exposed to the sun. fruit should be eaten in summer in the sun then. theres something to O3's and fructose. omega 3's help insulin sensitivity, again....more fish in the first half the year. leptin is also upregulated as grok had more carbs this time of year, maybe to prep for a fertile winter?
    *my guess is the vitamin D from the sun grok got(which is known to enhance mood/food absorption) post hibernation balanced the mood enhancement and good stress(sex) grok got in the winter* maybe people with SAD should be fucking all winter???? haha just a thought

Summer: lots of produce in season, more sea-based water sources of food. maybe he fished all day long and at night climbed a coconut tree(which again if your ever seen someone do this it is really hard)?

Fall/Winter: grok knew how the seasons worked....start gathering and digging up starch for winter to put on fat for survival. as the sun power is lessened, grok has less vita d but more fruit which leads the way for hibernation mode body composition-wise...find somewhere to hibernate, find and store water?, gorge on the last of seasonal fruit.... maybe gather seaweed to dry? then, kill something big and fat(bear?) and drag it to the hibernation spot for winter(maybe make pemmican?)

i think people should focus on what is in season, and with the knowledge we have on its' vita/min and fat ratio relate it to how it is evolutionarily adapted to...which would mostly be based of fertility and seasons. i dunno i am just thinking out loud... i think the O6:O3 ratio obsession is way overrated as well because i doubt grok really had much of a ratio at all. based on all the other animals eating what grok was also eating he just ate with with the protein/fat/carbs he consumed his body produced the omega ratio it needed. i dont think the omegas should be high for anyone, omega 6 or 3, it just doesnt make sense. again, excess of anything is not a good thing.

men get lipid induced insulin resistance more than women... evolutionary factor? vitamin D is associated with adiposed mass? seasonal factor? PUFA are related to metabolic snydrome...PUFA from nuts in the fall= insulin resitant= good for seasons to pack on fat for hibernation?

hormones also should be considered in relation to the seasons...women especially. hormonally, women CRAVE carbs and studies show eating carbs only enhances the addiction, primal or not...what is the evolutionary basis? grok did not care one bit what grokette looked like, as long as she was fertile and fuckable int eh winter. i figure, the bigger the better b/c a starving grokette would not have the estrogen, let alone energy to fuck all winter. guys can have a LOT more orgasms than women can in a day(i think?)

and still...i ALWAYS ALWAYS wonder about the kids... if grok fucked all winter, that means...9 months....babies came late fall...which meant a hibernating grokette caring for offspring... HOW does THAT work? the fall carb gorging and approaching lack of vitaD brought insulin resistance, and a preggo grokette whos boobs needed to have enough milk to breast feed through winter?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    You're covering a lot of territory here, so I'll just pick one point.

As far as eating seasonal foods; that's easy, because it really is what my body craves. During summer I crave fresh green salads and watermelon and other summer fruits. Right now, when the weather turns chilly, I want sweet potatoes and more sweet potatoes. Best thing is, food that is seasonal is also the cheapest!

Location is probably the trickiest thing to think about. Coconuts aren't in season where I live (California) at any time of year, but I swear my ancestors must be from some tropical island, because I thrive on tropical produce: Coconuts, bananas, pineapples and mangos. (Either that, or I really did descend from monkeys.)

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Remember that the environment we evolved in was tropical and mild climate I think for a good portion of evolution.
    I also don't try to balance my omega's. I just focus on keeping the PUFA's low and getting some fish almost daily.

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    Interesting.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I'll pick another point....breastfeeding is actually a rather beautiful solution to the winter lack of food intake. During the year, Mrs Grok eats enough to build some fat stores (aided by pregnancy hormones that make it a particularly efficient process, as Mrs Korg bemoans regularly!) Breastfeeding taps those fat stores. It's like a reservoir during the rainy season supplying water during the drought.

One question: where does the information come from that the Groks spent their winters babymaking?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I'll pick another point....breastfeeding is actually a rather beautiful solution to the winter lack of food intake. During the year, Mrs Grok eats enough to build some fat stores (aided by pregnancy hormones that make it a particularly efficient process, as Mrs Korg bemoans regularly!) Breastfeeding taps those fat stores. It's like a reservoir during the rainy season supplying water during the drought.

One question: where does the information come from that the Groks spent their winters babymaking?
    I FIGURE YOU SIT AROUND IN HIBERNATION ALL WINTER, you've built up fat stores, you need something to do...have sex lol

Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    Remember that the environment we evolved in was tropical and mild climate I think for a good portion of evolution.
    I also don't try to balance my omega's. I just focus on keeping the PUFA's low and getting some fish almost daily.
    me too

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    I FIGURE YOU SIT AROUND IN HIBERNATION ALL WINTER, you've built up fat stores, you need something to do...have sex lol
    I dunno...lack of food will make them both a little depressed, plus Mrs Grok is all self-conscious about her extra padding and wobbly postpartum belly (just kidding about that second half....I hope!)

The other thing with breastfeeding is that it isn't a 3 month-at-best deal like most people here think of it. Human babies are breastfed almost exclusively for a year, and partially for 2-3 years. It's a year round thing, not a brief source of nutrition.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Personally I have a different view on many things but I do know this. My ancestors were much healthier because they ate whole foods. They ate what was in season as well. They ate butter, eggs, bacon, fatty meats and lots of fresh veggies, some fruits. They did not have cancer, allergies, depression. And I am not talking about people that lived in a cave. I am talking about my ancestors 2-3 generations ago!

The 'modern' world has just screwed everything up.

We dont have to go back to cave men, just go back to your great grandfathers!
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Redflame View Post
    Personally I have a different view on many things but I do know this. My ancestors were much healthier because they ate whole foods. They ate what was in season as well. They ate butter, eggs, bacon, fatty meats and lots of fresh veggies, some fruits. They did not have cancer, allergies, depression. And I am not talking about people that lived in a cave. I am talking about my ancestors 2-3 generations ago!

The 'modern' world has just screwed everything up.

We dont have to go back to cave men, just go back to your great grandfathers!
    only your recent ancestors ate butter and bacon...

how fatty was the meat, really? eggs are out of season now here at least

i really dont think we gorged on fatty meat.... a couple times a YEAR, maybe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast