Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnesium - How much? page

JenCat is offline Senior Member

Magnesium - How much?

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone know how much magnesium I need for my 12-year-old, 90lb. son?

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    The US government says 240mg:
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium/
    (Scroll down to table 2.)

I was just working my way through nutritiondata looking for magnesium-rich primal foods. The best by weight seem to be nuts & seeds - which is quite handy, as they can be ground & added to all sorts of things, sweet and savoury. Pumpkin seeds came out top (and toasted pumpkin seeds are really moreish), followed by flaxseed, brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, pine nuts, etc.

Thanks, Hilary! The supplement that I have says 250mgs is 60% of the RDA. I always assume that the RDA is lower than what is really needed.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Here is a detailed site about magnesium:

Linus Pauling Micronutrient Information Center
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...als/magnesium/

Fyi, it shows the tolerable upper limit of daily magnesium intake for a 12-year-old to be 350 mg. Also, it shows a list of the Mg content of various foods.

Perfect. Thanks!

Barefoot Paul is offline Senior Member
    I recently found out that my magnesium supplement was pretty much useless. If it is Magnesium Oxide I have heard that it wont be absorbed very well. Cillikat has tons of information on magnesium if you are looking for more.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Paul View Post
    I recently found out that my magnesium supplement was pretty much useless. If it is Magnesium Oxide I have heard that it wont be absorbed very well. Cillikat has tons of information on magnesium if you are looking for more.
    +1 If its magnesium oxide get rid of it as it literally passes right through you.

I take 350g or so daily and im 23 weighing 90kg. Anymore and well, ask anyone who takes too much magnesium what happens haha. 250g should be plenty for the young lad.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JenCat View Post
    Does anyone know how much magnesium I need for my 12-year-old, 90lb. son?
    An anxious 12 yo 90 lber needs a lot of magnesium. At least 400mg and maybe more. See my magnesium links/docs

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    The US government says 240mg:
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium/
    tooooo low. Any 12 yo needs and adult dose. d*mn guv-er-met peepl. lol

I was just working my way through nutritiondata looking for magnesium-rich primal foods. The best by weight seem to be nuts & seeds - which is quite handy, as they can be ground & added to all sorts of things, sweet and savoury. Pumpkin seeds came out top (and toasted pumpkin seeds are really moreish), followed by flaxseed, brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, pine nuts, etc.
    There is that tricky issue of the phytates though that decrease absorption significantly....and the Ω6s that knock that ratio off balance.

Seafood really is the best source in terms of usability/absorption/assimilation....aside from supplements.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by paleo_rob View Post
    +1 If its magnesium oxide get rid of it as it literally passes right through you.

I take 350g or so daily and im 23 weighing 90kg. Anymore and well, ask anyone who takes too much magnesium what happens haha. 250g should be plenty for the young lad.
    Crap. The stuff I just bought has magnesium oxide as the first ingredient. It lists magnesium stearate as the last ingredient. I do have some calcium with magnesium citrate (50mg) and have been giving him that 3x/day.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    @JenCat

Have a look at NaturalCalm. Its a Magnesium Citrate powder. Its the stuff I use, and it's great for settling down before bed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast