Thread: Rillons page

Mick Guest

Shop Now

It might be worth trying rillons (perhaps rilletes, too).

I haven't cooked either myself, but they sound easy enough. All that's seems to be needed is time - and a butcher that's got belly of pork and will sell you flair fat:

http://www.gourmetbritain.com/encyclo_entry.php?item=1933

or body fat.

From Jane Grigson's Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery

http://www.amazon.com/CHARCUTERIE-FRENCH-PORK-COOKERY-Grigson/dp/1902304888/
    [quote]

1 lb belly of pork, cut into 2-inch cubes

1 1/2 lb belly of pork, cut into small strips ... [these would be for the rilletes] ...

1 lb flair fat cut into smallish pieces (use the hard fat from under the skin, if you can't get flair fat) [presumably not so much fat needed, if you're not making rilletes at the same time]

Salt, pepper, spices, thyme, bay leaf

Using a heavy pan, put in the pork pieces and 2 oz. of water, so that the meat doesn't stick. Cook over a gentle heat, or in a low oven, covered, for four hours.

Separate the cubes of pork (the rillons from the rest, and leave them to brown in a hotter oven, uncovered, or in an open pan on top of the stove ...

During all this, keep an eye on the rillons; put them to drain when they are an appetizing brown all over. Eat them cold, like rilletes as an hors d'œuvre.

Alternatively, you can pot rillons like confits. In that case they are best heated through in an open pan when you come to eat them, in a little of their preserving fat, and served with mashed potatoes and a tart apple purée, or baked apple rings.
    </blockquote>

They certainly look good - found some photos online:

http://ckenb.blogspot.com/2008/08/di...y-rillons.html

Tarlach is offline Member

I love pork belly sliced to say 1/4" and cooked on the BBQ plate.

The meat comes out a bit crispy and has warm fat running in it. If I get it right the skin crackles just like a roast. It&#39;s one of our favorites (and it&#39;s for dinner tonight

The Chinese have a pork dish that is similar to rillons (and it&#39;s very good). I&#39;ll have to give these a go sometime.

I&#39;m just scared of slow cooking something that I usually cook hot and fast!

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

grandma is offline Member

Looks a bit like Carnitas

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

That was so rude sir grandma....why would you post a picture of crispy yet chewy bacon with more fat than I can even imagine when I have no way of eating it RIGHT NOW

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan