Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Racingsnake page

racingsnake is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal - Racingsnake

I'm going to start this with a disclaimer - I hate talking about my dietary problems - I'm much more of a head down, solve the problem and get on with it sort of guy. I know there are people with much, much worse difficulties to face every day than me. I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm posting this much detail because this is one of the most sensible, helpful diet-related communities I have found and I am hoping someone will have had success helping themselves with similar problems and maybe spot something I've missed, or give me some pointers.

OK, whinge mode on...

I came to the Primal Blueprint through my search for a diet that would help me manage the increasingly worse food intolerance and immune system disarray I was experiencing. After wading through heaps of nutritionists, weird dietary regimes and even weirder theories it explained a lot for me, and has helped me regain a measure of health and energy. The knowledge about toxins and anti-nutrients is invaluable.

These days I never feel better than I do after a massive fatty roast meat meal with roast root veg. On average over the last few months I get 1-2 '100%' days per week. Other days are fatiguey, grumpy, headachey kind of days.

Fitness

I'm 6' 6" tall and currently 11 stone. I've never been over 11st 8lb, but I'm stronger than I've ever been (can pull off 10 chin ups) and work out once per week / every 10 days using the Body By Science protocol . It gives me great returns for little time investment and keeps the impact on my system down (apart from the day after the workout when I'm wrecked )

Health

I was diagnosed coeliac 15 years ago at age 24. looking back there were definitely periods growing up when I had symptoms but they weren't terrible. My mother is coeliac so she would have spotted anything really extreme.

I have been using EPD (Enzyme Potentiated Desensitization) for a while to try to rebuild my body's tolerance to foods. (The idea is basically that they gve you a subdermal shot of tiny amounts of lots of food proteins to stimulate production of T-regs). It's really impossible to tell if it's working because I have no idea how I'd be without it. After a year off the shots I've got another shot scheduled for the end of this month. This is because I recently developed 3 new intolerances - to beef, pork and coffee. What a nightmare. The coffee I mean ;-) So I've had to - shift back to a higher carb diet.

Stuff I can't use due to inflammatory reaction resulting in 4 days or so of nausea, tiredness, sleep disturbance and localised hives on my right hand:

probiotics
    beneficial yeast
    fermented foods
    glucosamine
    alcohol (or whisky at least)
    large doses of more omega-6y fats like chicken and duck
    coconut oil (for crying out loud)

And if that wasn't enough I suspect a more 'classic' yeast allergy as well, as I get wheezy in musty environments.

I've got osteopoenia from growing up with undiagnosed coeliac, although I suspect that with the vitamin D, weight lifting and improved diet, this will improve. (We managed to reverse my mother's osteoporosis in a similar way. Score!)

Supplements

Vitamin D - 4000iu per day - gives me a good high blood level, sometimes a bit too high so I need to watch that
    1g Vitamin C per day
    Glutamine if my gut is feeling sore
    2g high DHA fish oil if the day doesn't contain an oily fish
    Magnesium oil - over the last year seems to have (almost) cured palpitations, which can still flare up if I get a gut hit.

Zinc - this is an interesting one - I have tested low / deficient in zinc on 4 separate occasions over 4 years, and even supplementing 40mg a day doesn't seem to bring the levels up. I have tested HCL using a string test and that appears to be fine (apparently poor stomach acid production can affect chelation of zinc). Weirdly, whether I supplement with zinc or not does not seem to make much difference to my levels. I started supplementing again recently and several weeks later developed these recent intolerances which made me a little worried the zinc was involved (I have read that it's possible that falling zinc levels can act as a natural buffer to auto-immunity, so I'm a little nervous about starting supplementing again).
    This is the supplement I use: http://www.highernature.co.uk/ShowPr...ctFamilyID=278

Food

Eating higher carb just now due to lack of calories from fats - more info here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-while-dangers

Avoid: All nightshades, nuts, dairy, yeasty foods like mushrooms, all nasties like gluten, lectins etc, onions, garlic
    Temporary 'learnt' intolerances: beef, pork, coffee
    Eat: Lamb Liver, heart, oysters, scallops once each per week
    Currently a lot of starchy carb as cassava, yam, sweet potato, parsnips, squash
    Most days 3 tins of sardines, mackerel or wild red salmon or fresh halibut and whatever other fish I can get.
    Wild duck or pheasant once per week each when in season.
    Chicken, turkey, venison once per week.
    Olive oil, goose fat (in moderation)
    Cauliflower, brocolli, spinach, chard, pak choi, carrots, chicory, fennel, celery, salad, herbs

The worst thing for me about all of this is the impact it has on my ability to have fun with my friends and family. I can be a grumpy git when I'm under the weather, which I hate.

On a lighter note, I have a wonderful wife and two fantastic young kids and run my own business doing something I love. And you can't ask for much more than that.

Right, whinge mode off. That's quite enough of that! If you made it this far, you're a saint

After that marathon, here's some more normal journal stuff...

Breakfast: 2 tins red salmon with a pile of yam and spinach fried in olive oil
    Lunch: Wild duck (whole one) with sweet potato roasted in duck fat and cauliflower
    Dinner to be: Roast butternut squash and roast cauli with olive oil and halibut

Hoping to get to the gym today but looking out the window I might get washed away if I try.

Day out in the city (Glasgow) yesterday, so packed lunch time.

Breakfast: 3 tins mackerel, olive oil, yam, brocolli, fried
    Lunch: Mixed leaves, mixed seafood, beetroot, roasted sweet potato, olive oil.
    Dinner: Bit of a treat on the way home at the gluten free fish and chip shop - chicken and chips

The coffee intolerance put paid to the usual cafe surfing, but feeling great so I can live with that.

Had a great BBS BIT workout today - super slow movements to failure in one rep in around 1-2 mins. Even after 3 months it still amazes me that you can walk in the gym and stagger out 10-12 minutes later feeling totally done in. We're tracking strength and time gains and all four of our group are seeing good improvements. The daddy is a guy who has been weight training his whole life and only came to this method 3 months ago at age 44. He's astonished at the strength gains he's getting. We're running it as a 6 month experiment but so far, so good. The only downside is I always have to have a nap around midday - oh hang on, I love naps

Eating big today to fuel the battered body...

Brek: 3 tins mackerel, cassava, spinach
    Lunch: sea bass, butternut squash, watercress, beetroot
    Dinner: 6 oysters, duck breast kale butternut squash

Having a bit of a nightmare at the moment with seeming infection resistance problems. I've had a cold for 2 weeks and am getting random cracking on my hands. 4 of these have become infected at various times and needed careful treatment, which is unusual for me. Have done some checking through cillakat's posts and am thinking that zinc could be a problem. I've tested low for it before, and as a male with gut problems i've probably got a fairly high requirement. FitDay puts me at 16mg per day average over the last month, so I'm supplementing with 40mg per day for a couple of weeks until this cold clears up and will then probably drop to 20mg per day, symptoms permitting. In the meantime, early bed with a mug of warm Vit C.

Well you can never tell, but the supplement regime has either worked or coincided with a major improvement in general wellness. After about a week, all the inflamed cuts calmed down (over the space of about 24 hours), and interestingly, the discomfort in my lower left gut has disappeared. Of course this could be coincidence, but I'm hopeful.

I'm a little gutted today though because our wee 3 year old girl has been prescribed antibiotics for an ear infection. We've managed to keep both kids antibiotic free up until now, so it's disappointing, as well as a little worrying. She's prone to colds and coughs and gets really bad long lasting coughs. She's also atopic, responding to dairy with eczema. Poor wee thing was screaming with pain last night - it's hard to bear really.

Will be back soon to mutter away to myself again.

Oh meant to say, in an effort to buffer some of the nasty effects of the AntiB's on the wee one, I've started my first batch of water kefir today. Hopefully it will taste nice enough that she'll drink it. Otherwise, I'll be reduced to smuggling it in in a smoothie or somesuch.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Will be back soon to mutter away to myself again.
    You have an audience...

Wah-hey! Welcome Dragonfly - popcorn will be round shortly. Er... I mean, pork rinds.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nicely sore this morning after a Body by Science Big 5 workout yesterday. 4 of us from my company went down and put ourselves through the wringer. That's me done until same time next week. I love HIT training - 12 minutes of agony a week I can live with.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast