Thread: Trimming fat from meat - how do I know how much to compensate...? page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

Question Trimming fat from meat - how do I know how much to compensate...?

Primal Fuel
    Someone mentioned the other day that animals who don't eat their natural diet store the toxins in their fat.

Now, I assume that all our supermarket meat over here is grain-fed, so I'm now trimming the fat from the meat (and the birds are extremely grateful that I am doing!).

I have a pack of 4 pork loin steaks (roughly 100g each - exterior fat is probably about 0.5" thick). A 100g raw steak is 200kcals (32g protein 7.6g fat)

Would I be correct in assuming that, if I trim away all that fat (the rest of the meat is lean) then I can merely subtract 7.6 x 9 = 68.4kcals and thus just count the protein (32 x 4 = 128, obviously!)?

How would I calculate if the steaks were less than 100g (sorry maths isn't my strong suit. I did languages).

Just so I know I'm getting me macronutrients/caloric balance correct.

Thanks

Sarah
    La tristesse durera toujours...

chima_p is offline Senior Member

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    More conventional wisdom busted...^

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    From Mark;

"Ideally, we would all eat grass-fed/grass-finished meat all the time, but because of a variety of circumstances (budget, limited availability at home/during travel, etc.) it’s not always possible for people, myself included. For these reasons, the Primal Blueprint also looks at logical, reasonable compromises. If I can’t eat grass-fed meat, I look for the cleanest meat I can find (no hormones, no antibiotics, etc.). But I absolutely suggest that people include meat in their diets, even if they don’t have access to grass-fed."
    Further reading here

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/grass-fed-meat-options/
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Mollymoe is offline Senior Member
    I confess I just eat the fat anyway and make sure I get enough fish oil to help balance the omega 3s and 6s.

I don't think that trimming all the visible fat would actually remove all the fat from your meat, so don't think those calculations would be that accurate (but I am no expert and am ready to be corrected). If you do want to go down that route, why not just trim the fat and then weigh what's left and count it as lean meat - does the resource you use for keeping track of your macronutrients not have that option?

Thanks Sarah (sorry I was in a bit of a rush and didn't express myself clearly again!). Of course I meant the stuff they add to the feed, not the feed itself.

I just wanted to make it clear that this wasn't anything to do with 'lipophobia'.

I'm eating nothing but meat and eggs (with a bit of goat dairy. I went to the local indie supermarket today and bought some goats' yoghurt. Got it home and, as I was putting it in the fridge, I noticed the ingredients: - thickener:- MAIZE STARCH!!!! ARGH!!!! NOT a happy bunny...)

We get a new Tesco's here (think Wal-Mart in the US) on the 29th. I did promise I'd stick to family loyalty and boycott it, but they do sell pukka goats' milk dairy (from a Yorkshire farm and dairy, so I feel doubly compelled).

I actually PREFER goats' milk dairy to cows. Just a little bit more expensive and harder to find...

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i would get grassfed butter & tallow and add it to leaner store bought meat, that way you have no worries about toxins vs nontoxins....thats what i do at least

jjones is offline Member
    What about lamb? I know lots of sheep farmers, keeping thousands of lambs at a time, and I don't ever hear anything about feeding them grain (apart from a bit as a supplement/treat almost). They just sit on the grass, eating it.

Quote Originally Posted by jjones View Post
    What about lamb? I know lots of sheep farmers, keeping thousands of lambs at a time, and I don't ever hear anything about feeding them grain (apart from a bit as a supplement/treat almost). They just sit on the grass, eating it.
    You're in lamb country (let me guess you're in S. Wales, aren't you...? I know that area well). Welsh lamb is reknowned for being of excellent quality. The lamb I buy (the only places I can shop are Sainsbury's and the local M&S simply food in town) is ALL grain/cereal fed. You're right, Welsh lamb is, by and large, pastured. Now all I have to do is persuade my folks to move to Wales (Mum would love to - Dad's wedded to his ruddy golf club!)

I was in M&S today and its lamb (I forget its origin) claimed "Our lamb (you can replace that with beef/pork/chicken/turkey) comes from animals fed on a special cereal diet to ensure our meat is of the highest quality" (I forget the exact wording - I'll copy it off the pork packaging when I open it). It's the same for all their meat. I know I can get pastured meat from farmers' market - but I can't afford it!!!

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Stop calculating and just eat meat vegetables and some fruit, occational dairy and nuts.

Speaking of nuts, you continue to drive yourself nuts, if you are going to to this you have to relax and just follow the plan (meat, veg, fruit, dairy, nuts) You wont get the benefits of PB if you just do part of it, discard part, and obsess over part.......but then again this is not the first time this has been said
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!