Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drinking Water - 8 or 12 glasses? page 3

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    The latest research as far as I recall showed that caffeine is only a diuretic if you don't usually consume it or consume an uncharacteristically large quantity of it one day. If you consume the same amount every day, your body adjusts and holds on to the right amount of fluid rather than peeing it out.
    This is true. I drink tea all day, and I'm nowhere near dehydrated, ever
    I'm not old, I'm Vintage!

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    This is a excerpt from one of Lyle McDonald's blogs. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...et-part-1.html

"Water Intake

While it should be a no-brainer, water intake is another place where trainees make basic mistakes (I am guilty of this myself). The effects of dehydration range from minimal (at 2% dehydration, strength and performance decrease) to painful (can anybody say kidney stones) to worse (at 10% dehydration, death can occur).

While there are many generalized water intake equations (such as 8 glasses per day), these may not be correct for everyone. To poach another guideline from my mentor, a good rule of thumb is 5 clear urinations per day, and 2 of those should come after your workout. Yes, that means looking in the toilet when you pee.

This gives trainees a way of individualizing water intake. Obviously someone who lives in a hot, humid environment (or trains in a non-air conditioned gym) will need more water than someone who lives in moderate temperatures and trains in a posh gym.

I’d note that, despite more dogmatic rhetoric to the contrary, all fluids contribute to hydration state (as do many high-water foods such as fruits and vegetables). Yes, even caffeinated ones; research clearly shows that the small amount of fluid lost from the caffeine is still much less than the amount gained by drinking the drink.

It’s worth nothing that recent research has found that plain water is actually the worst drink for rehydration following exercise. Milk was actually shown to be superior to either plain water or Powerade/Gatorade type drinks, most likely due to the potassium and sodium content. You can read more about this in the artilce Milk as an Effective Post-Exercise Rehydration Drink.

Finally, thirst is a poor indicator of hydration state. By the time you’re thirsty, you’re already a bit dehydrated."

alexdarwin25 is offline Member
    I drink water 8 glasses a day! and i think it's enough for the human body..
    Download FREE 3 Day Crash Course
    The Golden Rules You Must Follow to Sweat Normally | how to stop sweating | armpit sweating

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    It takes voluntary effort to not drink water. I'm addicted to it. I try to only drink water in the evening so I don't pee all day at work. I know it's bad for my kidneys, so I try hard to drink less and less water. But my pee is always clear anyway.

But, no, there is no reason to just drink water for water's sake. Wait until you are thirsty. Your body will thank you.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    I think the old advice about "by the time you're thirsty, you're dehydrated" probably makes sense in a leptin resistant, sedentary, sugar eating society. It's been shown that many people mistake early signs of thirst for hunger, and actually eat instead of drink. They also tend to eat dry foods high in sugars, which take more water to process.

For those of us further along the paleo path, where hunger is a good indication of when to eat thirst is also probably a better indicator of when to drink. Couple that with foods that often contain much of the fluid needed to process them, and we're better off overall.

tms1 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    so, the primal method has no rec's re: how much daily water consumption like cw? -8-10 glasses for weight loss and overall health?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123