Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night terrors? page

nomi is offline Junior Member

Night terrors?

Shop Now
    The past few years I've been getting terrible night terrors. During the worst spouts I can get them more than once nightly. I see things in the bedroom and usually sit up in a panic. Thankfully, I don't walk!! While it's very scary for me, I'm especially concerned about my husband since it's negatively affecting his quality of sleep too.

Anyway, this is not something isolated to the Primal diet, but it does get much worse, especially during the first 1- 2 weeks or so.

I started taking fish oil supplements last year and that actually seemed to help a little bit. I also tried taking magnesium, drinking lots of water, eating something small before bed, using a SAD lamp in the morning when I wake up, not watching tv or surfing the net before bedtime, meditating.

But, I'm about at my wit's end with it. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience or had any ideas about what else I could try?

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    Journaling?

It seems that you are covering every aspect of the physical contributions. Maybe opening an account at one of the online journal sites (with a discreet moniker), and never divulging details that could identify you, would give you another outlet for whatever goes on in your head. It's a way to tap into your subconscious mind. I have figured out so many buried conflicts with journaling.

Good luck!

nomi is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, Debbie! And so fast too, wow. I appreciate it.

I started journaling a few months ago actually. I love that idea although I have the impression that it's something physical rather than psychological (as if there is really a difference!).

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    nomi,

This isn't going to be much help, but I had them regularly as a child. They just suddenly went away when I was 11 or 12.
    Now, the only time I have a problem is when I take anything containing pseudoephedrine before bed

I think it IS something physical---I just don't know exactly what it is. But I do understand how awful it feels.
    Hugs!

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Is night terror the same as the sleep paralysis thing?

I heard that our body's are paralysed for certain parts of the sleep cycle so we don't act out our dreams (THAT could be funny) and sometimes you wake up in terror because you are awake but your body can't move and your body freaks out. Is that the same thing?

Sounds pretty awful - I hope the journaling works.

kiwineil is offline Senior Member
    i suffer from this ... same "terror" or dream comes around about once every 3-4 months ... cant tell why it happens ie cant isolate the stressor ... so i empathise if yr getting them frequently cos its no fun at all

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    I had them when I was young too. I want to see where this goes.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    How's your vitamin D? Cillakat would know MUCH more than me on the topic, but IIRC, vitamin has so much to do with the brain and mood and mental stuff that it's possible that could be playing a part. I could be completely full of s***, but that route might be worth a shot.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I used to get these too. For me though they would go one of two ways:

a) I would feel someone in my room, or immediately around me and I couldn’t move to check but I had my eyes open, or at least partially open, but my body was too tired it seemed or just unable to move. It was scary but eventually I would fall back asleep.

b) With my eyes closed and in a semi-sleep I would feel like something scary was about to happen in my dream, to give an example, let’s say I was walking (in my dream) and I saw a dog in the distance, I would KNOW that this dog was about to do something scary (attack, or morph into something else) and I would just “brace” myself for it. Typically the cause of my fear (the dog in this example) would approach and get bigger up until the point where I just opened my eyes and was somewhat paralyzed. This eventually happened very VERY often.

They both haven’t happened in many months, but one thing I noticed that seemed to trigger these was… NAPS.

If I took a nap, chances were I would have that type of dream/terror, either during the nap or at night when I went to sleep. I haven’t taken a nap in a very long time, unless I passed out watching tv which I don’t consider the same.

Other than that I can’t say what else played a part in it, I started eating better which could have helped but you’re already doing that if you’re here. Do you nap often? Maybe that could be it… ? I wish I could be more help. They really can be quite terrifying.

Edit: I can't remember exactly WHEN they stopped, I just sort of realized they had stopped. I started dosing Vitamin D maybe two months ago so in my experience I don't think fish oil or D had much to do with it but for general health it's wise to dose both.

croí is offline Senior Member
    I have night terrors sometimes as well. The feeling that your trying to run from something, and you can't move fast enough! or Knowing something is going to happen, and all of a sudden you're awake! I'm not sure what causes this either.

As a side note: With your journal, if you think something could be made out of it, you should explore it. Stephenie Meyer made her Twilight Series out of a dream she had, and now she's loaded! Don't forget the one who suggested this to you when you make it big!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast