Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night terrors? page 2

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My nasty night terrors come and go, dependent on the stress and such going in my life. They always take the same form: Some scary is happening (usually, I'm about to be killed in a way that could easily be avoided in real life) and I open my mouth to scream for help and nothing comes out. My vocal cords just lock down. I can't even breathe. I jolt awake and pant for a few minutes, then either go back to sleep next to my husband or go find something to keep me occupied until the dream loses it's grip.
    In my case, they usually go away when I bring my stress down to a sane level. Back when my garndmother was dying from cancer right as I got laid off from work, I had them nearly nightly, occasionally multiple times a night.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

nomi is offline Junior Member
    Wow, how helpful are all of you?! Thank you!

To answer your questions:

-It is like sleep paralysis, but I move around. The typical thing that happens is that I see a shadow or something more physical on the wall or the floor and then I sit up with my eyes wide open and wake my hubby up by calling to him to "look!". And when he doesn't believe me, I get annoyed and try to convince him.

-I take vitamin D and try to go out every day. I do live in the Pacific NW though so it's entirely possible that I'm lacking. However, I had the terrors when I lived in Spain prior to the last two years and I'd say I had plenty of sun there. :P

-I very rarely nap. They tend to make me feel groggy, so it's rare that I'll have one.

I probably should have stated this more clearly in my first post, but the thing that's so weird to me is how much worse they get when I'm going Primal. Like, I'll get them once or twice per month if I'm off the diet, but when I go on, I can get them up to 4 times nightly for the first two weeks or so and then about 3 times weekly after that.

So, the only things that have occurred to me is that it has something to do with my blood sugar levels? Or the detox?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    It's possible that it's a symptom of YOUR carb flu, it affects everyone differently. Is trying to eat right stressing yuo out? Are you still arguing with yourself over this aspect or that? Those may have a hand in them as well (mental stress.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Well, also you have to acknowledge that what you're seeing isn't real, or isn't really there, trust me I thought that I wasn't alone because it's such a real experience but you have to keep in mind that there really is nothing there. So, waking up your husband isn't helping at all, except maybe to calm you down, but I could see how that would wear on him if you're doing it all the time.

Next time it happens try to just ignore it as hard as you can, I used to try and reverse it but it was too powerful of a though/fixation and sometimes I felt I worsened it.

I wonder if it's a deficiency or an abundance of some type of chemical or nutrient or something. I really wish I could pin point what made it stop but sadly I cannot...

nomi is offline Junior Member
    @naiadknight - The diet doesn't stress me out too much. Actually, I find it a relief because it gives me more time and less to worry about. I do run my own business and I'll call that stressful. Although, the first 4 years in business, I didn't get the night terrors and I think they were more stressful than the last 4 (when the night terrors started)

@iniQuity - Yeah, that's the thing. Every night I tell myself to remember that they aren't real because I really don't want to wake up my husband. But when I'm in that state, I'm still half asleep and irrational and it doesn't occur to me that it's possibly not real. After a moment, I sometimes wake up and realize I'm dreaming, but that's usually after I've already sat up and woke him up.

I was thinking about seeing if I could learn how to do lucid dreaming though. I was thinking, that if I could learn to control my dreams, then maybe I'd also be able to control the night terrors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12