Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Truth time - your primal diet and your health page

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

Truth time - your primal diet and your health

Shop Now
    One thing I notice with regularity is how many threads on the forums are about calorie counts and how much you should eat. This makes sense since most people joining the site are going to have that mindset, and it is not a terrible one to have because if you eat 8,000 calories a day and sit at a desk even if it is primal you won't lose weight.

Lots of people chime in about how they eat 3k+ calories per day, and it's great because it's Primal so its better than less calories non-primal. It seems for most 3-3500 calories is about the average.

What I don't see, however, is images of these people. Do they all look like Mark, or are these people following this ideal of eating only to still be the soft somewhat overweight people they were before.

My challenge - everyone who has been doing primal for awhile and in doing so eats more than the CW says to eat (3k,4k, etc) post an image or give us your current weight/bf. I am particularly looking at people with average level activity lifestyles. I know there are lots of people on this form who bike,lift,ironman,cross fit all the time and look amazing but I want to hear from the people who are getting 1 hour of exercise a day and are active (moderately) on the weekends. The type of lifestyle I am sure a great many of us on the forums do have.

Me? I've been lurking this forum for awhile without much success making the plunge. I've gone from 34% BF to 32%, but I can't really chime in calorie wise because I sitll can't get over the hump and let go of my nightly splurges of nachos.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Uh, I don't think there *are* that many people who eat 3000+ calories a day here, and it's definitely NOT 'most' people. If they do, it is either because they're actually trying to gain weight or because they're extremely active and need that much just to maintain. And then there are some with high metabolisms who can happen to eat that much in a day without it affecting their weight. And a lot of people do want to lose weight, yes, but not everyone who's come here has done so because they were formerly 'soft' overweight people.

If you want to see images of people, go to the 'before & after pictures' thread in the 'Success Stories' forum, or to the Success Stories category on the main site. Besides, your focus on appearance and weight loses sight of the fact that a lot of people eat this way for their HEALTH, not just to lose weight. As for it being 'truth time' - I'm not lying about my weight *or* the fact that I sometimes overeat or eat crap, and I refuse to be ashamed about any of those things for any longer, even if I don't (yet) show the visible 'results' you seem to be looking for.
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 11-10-2010 at 07:49 PM.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    I am twelve, and what is this?

On a more serious note: who counts calories here? I do not.

Body fat percentage? I don't even own a scale. The last time I weighed myself was two months ago.

Feels good, man.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I eat at or below 2,000 calories most days because I am trying to lose weight and I know calories matter, even with the right macros. Keep in mind though, that I'm only moderately active and my weight loss are desires are small (5-10 lbs). I'm 5'5" and I weight most consistently around 135. I lost about 6-7 lbs when I started primal (about 3-4 months ago), but I've sort of stayed steady since then and haven't felt like putting in the effort to really lean out.

That being said, I am strong and wear a women's size small and most women would consider me "thin" and want my body, so I'm not really complaining

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure why but the tone of the original post irritates me.

There is a lot more at play than weight and body fat percentages.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-Fat-Make-over

I was 210 pounds in Dec 2005. Because I am in the military and failed my fitness test, I was on a very strict program of diet and exercise. My diet was a 'healthy' CW food pyramid way of eating. I ate that way until August 2009. In January 2006 I was diagnosed as being hypothyroid, and lost about 20 pounds or so from starting medication.

In Aug 2009 I weighed about 187 pounds, so I had lost about 23 pounds between Jan 2006 and Aug 2009.

No, I am not a person that looks like Mark, but I am still a work in progress.

Yes, I eat many more calories then the CW diet says I should. Yes, I lose more weight when I eat Primal and higher calories.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    While I have lost weight, and want to lose more, that is NOT my motivation for eating this way.

I eat this way because I feel better. My joint pain is gone. Bloat, gas and other GI issues: gone. Brain fog: gone.

There are times that I have eaten non-primal and I don't suffer symptoms. There have also been times that I have eaten quasi-primal and suffered for it, (Fage full-fat yogurt makes me a slave.)

Will I ever be ripped? It's doubtful. Do I care? Not in the least. I am strong and healthy. No, I am not as strong as I was when I was a mere lass of forty but, at this time, I am not willing to work for it. Maybe when my loved ones who are facing life-altering and life-threatening issues are able to create their peace, I'll be more interested in my BF. For now, though, I could not care less.

What I am leading up to is: we all have different motivations for adopting this lifestyle. It is not important to look a certain way or fulfill someone else's agenda. It is important for people to know what they value and live accordingly.

Best wishes

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    so, what OP? are you looking for validation? a great big AH-HA! ?

there's the before and after thread, there's about a million journals

but what the hell, here ya go. i work out sporadically, i walk occasionally and so far i've lost 19 lbs. i'm sure i would lost a bit faster if i were more 80/20 instead of 70/30 but what can i say? i am a (wo)man, and i am weak. i tracked my food for about a week in the beginning, and while i don't remember the calorie count i was averaging 100 carbs and 96 fat grams

Valarauko is offline Senior Member
    I have absolutely no idea how many calories I consume a day, I eat when I am hungry and eat to about 80-90% full - I don't like really full stomach no matter what is in there, whether its the finest natural primal foods or 10 slices of pizza. Eating to satisfaction and not full serves me well, the Japanese have saying - "Hara hachi bun me" - eat moderately, don't stuff yourself - its has worked very well for the Okinawans who practice it the most.
    I have breakfast and a snack around mid morning, "lunch" is anywhere from 11 to 2-3ish, afternoon snack and "dinner" anywhere from 5 to 8 or 9. I eat good food.
    I have lost 6 kg in the the 6 weeks since I have cut out bread and the past 4 weeks have been mostly primal. My BMI went for 26.5 to 25 - if that even really matters, being a mesomorph body type. I still exercise pretty much as I always ever had, I am as active as I ever was in the past. I was exercising much the way the PB advises long before I ever found out about "Primal"
    I feel good. My sports ravaged joints don't ache in the morning anymore, I can bound down the stairs first thing rather than hobble until I "warm up", I don't crash mid afternoon anymore, I don't consume the potent Japanese energy drinks anymore to "keep me going" , my energy levels are constant and stable.
    Life is good. I hope this last major lifestyle tweak will "reprogram my genes" as Mark puts it in his book and not go down the same path as my grandmother and father.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I think I have pretty much the body I deserve. When I keep the diet tight and primal, I'm fairly lean. When I start sneaking in too many goodies, I start getting squishy. I'm female, 5'4-1/2", 129 pounds.

I'm extremely active: 1 hour workout 6 days a week (weights, basketball, agility drills, etc), plus I walk or bike everywhere, at least an hour a day, sometimes up to 3 hours. I don't count calories on a daily basis, but I check about once a month to see what's what. My maintenance cals are about 2600 a day.

I've never measured my body-fat, but my jeans tell me what I need to know.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast