Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprinted for 1st time (since swimming in college!) page

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member

Sprinted for 1st time (since swimming in college!)

Shop Now
    Ok...so I could barely make 10mins of sprinting for 30seconds w/90secs rest. I sprinted back and forth across my cul-du-sac (4x for each 30 second sprinting session) OMG I was DYING by the time the last one rolled around...
    did I do them right? Do I need more rest. Right now there's no way I could do that for a full minute!

any tips? Advice...

thanks a bunch!

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    For your first time sprinting, you did that much?! As a beginner in this sense, cut your sprint duration.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Vick is offline Senior Member
    You did great!

The goal now is to gradually increase the intensity of the sprint. This article may help your thoughts.

http://www.cbass.com/PACE.htm

Godzilla is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Velocity here (no pun intended). 30 seconds is a long-ass sprint. I wouldn't consider it a sprint in my book. Maybe halve that. 10-15 seconds. How many of us can sustain an all-out sprint for 30 seconds?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I can't maintain a real, honest to goodness sprint longer than about 15 seconds either.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I was initially following an HIIT protocol that was almost identical to Shijin13's, but also discovered that I can't sustain a real sprint for 30 seconds. I found that cutting sprint time to 15 seconds has made a world of difference, and really allows me to really push more consistently through the entire workout and spend more time sprinting in total.

But if 30 seconds sprints are working, more power to you!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I just got back into sprints myself and I wasn’t finishing strong. I was sprinting for distance rather than time (how do you time yourself if you’re doing this alone? I can’t imagine trying to count while sprinting or looking at a clock) I sprinted from stop sign to stop sign and I estimate it to be a distance of about 60 yards. I only managed 6 but the last two I had to stop around the 40 yard mark and slow down to almost a jog.

Sprints are beastly but I haven’t done them in so long that I just need to make them a habit. I think I’ll just go for the 40 yards instead and go as hard as I can.

You might want to take longer than 30 seconds rest. This is my personal belief but if I am still catching my breath from the last sprint, then there’s no way I’m going to produce a quality sprint the next time so I take 30 breath rests, breathe deep about 20-30 times while walking about then have at it again.

I don’t think there’s wrong ways to sprint though, but as with almost everything, there’s always a more efficient way to do things. I’m not claiming mine is, I’m certainly open to suggestions.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    (how do you time yourself if you’re doing this alone? I can’t imagine trying to count while sprinting or looking at a clock)
    Use an interval timer! It has made interval training much, much simpler for me, though sometimes I do just go by stop signs.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    hmmmmm...you guys have given me some ideas... the next time I do sprints... (maybe this weekend - as I'm craving to go out for a long slow run today - the sun is calling me)
    I think I might do my set of cul-du-sac sprints like so 1x 4 back/forth sprints for 30 seconds, 90 sec rest; then 2x 2back/forth for 15 seconds w/90 seconds rest btwn the 2; then 1 x4 back/forth sprints for 30s/90s rest then 3x2 back & forth for 15s/90s rest and so on for a total sprint workout time of 10mins...

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shijin13 View Post
    hmmmmm...you guys have given me some ideas... the next time I do sprints... (maybe this weekend - as I'm craving to go out for a long slow run today - the sun is calling me)
    I think I might do my set of cul-du-sac sprints like so 1x 4 back/forth sprints for 30 seconds, 90 sec rest; then 2x 2back/forth for 15 seconds w/90 seconds rest btwn the 2; then 1 x4 back/forth sprints for 30s/90s rest then 3x2 back & forth for 15s/90s rest and so on for a total sprint workout time of 10mins...
    It's all deadly dude! get em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast