Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Managing Overconfidence page 2

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey, that's probably the nicest way I've ever been called an asshole!

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    As much as I want to hear what you did, I wanted to ask if you are supplementing. I had a similar thing happen to me when I took "Creatine"(I believe) I became a bear with my moods & snapping @ people. When I stopped, the moods stopped.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    Only magnesium, fish oil and vit. D. All in all I overreacted as Arikara6 PMed me in responce to what happened. I've probably just had a really bad week. Someone who was supposed to drop me off so I could turn in a lab, circle the block and come back forgot and came back 2 hours later. In the time between two police officers started questioning me without a reason. Everyday so far has looked good and then turned out really bad.

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    Try to remember there are always people with way worse things going on in their lives. & hopefully it will make you realize that what ever happened was not a big deal in the big scheme of things.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gathwh View Post
    I just realized that I did several things that are really rude recently, and due to there embarrassing rudeness I will not mention them again. Is there anything that can help this acting without thinking thing? Would you recommend mediation, etc?
    http://www.drhallowell.com/add-adhd/

ADD/ADHD in Children

• If your child exhibits at least eight of the following behaviors for at least a six-month period, consider an evaluation by a team of AD/HD professionals.
    • Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat (in adolescents or adults) and may be limited to subjective feelings of restlessness.
    • Has difficulty remaining in seat when asked to do so.
    • Is easily distracted by extraneous stimuli.
    • Often blurts out answers to questions before they have been completed.
    • Has difficulty following through on instructions from others.
    • Often shifts from one uncompleted activity to another.
    • Has difficulty playing quietly.
    • Often talks excessively.
    • Often interrupts or intrudes on others.
    • Often does not seem to listen to what is being said to him or her.
    • Often loses things necessary for tasks or activities at school or at home.
    • Often engages in physically dangerous activities without considering possible consequences.

ADD/ADHD in Adults

If you have exhibited at least twelve of the following behaviors since childhood and if these symptoms are not associated with any other medical or psychiatric condition, consider an evaluation by a team of AD/HD professionals:

• A sense of underachievement, of not meeting one’s goals (regardless of how much one has actually accomplished).
    • Difficulty getting organized.
    • Chronic procrastination or trouble getting started.
    • Many projects going simultaneously; trouble with follow through.
    • A tendency to say what comes to mind without necessarily considering the timing or appropriateness of the remark.
    • A frequent search for high stimulation.
    • An intolerance of boredom.
    • Easy distractibility; trouble focusing attention, tendency to tune out or drift away in the middle of a page or conversation, often coupled with an inability to focus at times.
    • Often creative, intuitive, highly intelligent
    • Trouble in going through established channels and following “proper” procedure.
    • Impatient; low tolerance of frustration.
    • Impulsive, either verbally or in action, as an impulsive spending of money.
    • Changing plans, enacting new schemes or career plans and the like; hot-tempered.
    • A tendency to worry needlessly, endlessly; a tendency to scan the horizon looking for something to worry about, alternating with attention to or disregard for actual dangers.
    • A sense of insecurity.
    • Mood swings, mood lability, especially when disengaged from a person or a project.
    • Physical or cognitive restlessness.
    • A tendency toward addictive behavior.
    • Chronic problems with self-esteem.
    • Inaccurate self-observation.
    • Family history of AD/HD or manic depressive illness or depression or substance abuse or other disorders of impulse control or mood.

What is ADD/ADHD?

ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) is a neurological condition that is usually genetically transmitted. It is characterized by distractibility, impulsivity and restlessness or hyperactivity. In both disorders these symptoms are present from childhood on, and with a much greater intensity than in the everyday person, so that they interfere with everyday functioning.
    In my opinion, ADHD is a terrible term. As I see it, ADHD is neither a disorder, nor is there a deficit of attention. I see ADHD as a trait, not a disability. When it is managed properly, it can become a huge asset in one’s life. I both have ADHD myself and I wrote a book with Catherine Corman profiling a collections of fabulously successful adults all of whom have ADHD, so I know whereof I speak.
    As I like to describe it, having ADD is like having a powerful race car for a brain, but with bicycle brakes. Treating ADD is like strengthening your brakes–so you start to win races in your life.
    In my work as a psychiatrist who treats ADHD, I see myself not as a doctor who treats a disability, but rather as a doctor who helps people, adults and children alike, identify, develop, and celebrate their talents. That’s why I love my work!

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    Hey, that's probably the nicest way I've ever been called an asshole!
    Bane, I think you're pretty cool. Remember---I heard this first from my Grandma, and she WAS calling me an Azz-hola

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Gathwh: I dealt with an pugnacious attitude just about all my life. I mean starting before my age hit double digits. I never could take offensive, overbearing people. My pop got me to boxing as a pre-teen and early teen. Then I went judo when I got into high school. Not to be tough and ugly but to gain control.

That nature did good for me my 8 plus years in the military. Meditation, Aikido and Makko Ho kept me in control as an adult. There were times when I would flare but they really were rare. I was in control, but what really helped was the heavy bag that I had hanging in an unused bedroom of my house. Used to wail on that bag for hours sometimes, then go out and smile at the people.

sort of unrelated note----Can you imagine superiors in the service telling me that I was too violent during combat exercises? ------Now when you go up to that guy with your bayonet remember that he, too, is human and stab him with respect. Don't act like you do here in training. You are an American fighting man, not a savage. Kill with dignity.-----

Point--if you need release, work it out physically and mentally. Exercise of some sort and meditation or prayer or whatever you want to do like that.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

croí is offline Senior Member
    Ok, I don't think I'm ADHD. I think I only fell into 2 or 3 of those categories.

For me, I just think/ say stuff off the top of my head. I say what I'm thinking, and don't "beat around the bush". Sometimes it has come back to bite me, especially at work when superiors don't like the idea that you have a brain, and use it for logical reasons! Other times, I've realized I've come back harsh to someone who didn't deserve it, and apologized saying I didn't mean for it to come out that way, I was frustrated about something else. When I was in high school, I could have some mean come backs thinking I was being funny, but realized people didn't think it was funny. So, I backed off on the jokes. I still can think of some doozies (with my sense of humor thinking it's funny, definitely not trying to be hurtful), but I end up remaining silent instead.

IDK, I hope this helps.
    Last edited by croí; 11-11-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12