Thread: Primal Wisdom Teeth Removal Survival Assistance? page

Arikara6 is offline Senior Member

Primal Wisdom Teeth Removal Survival Assistance?

Primal Fuel
    In retrospect - I find my predicament humorous. I imagine that will cease when the novacaine wears off.

So I got promoted today - and had a dentist appointment right afterwards.

First piece of advice - don't ever schedule your day like this.

So my whole battalion watches me pin on Major's rank. We celebrate, have some cake and sandwiches, and I go to the dentist (seriously, WTF was I thinking?!)

It's tooth repair time, and the assistant comes in and numbs up the entire lower half of my face. Fun times.

Then the dentist walks up, looks in my mouth and the following transpires:

Dentist: "OH SHIT!"

Me: "Wha?" (Keep in mind, the dude's hands are in my mouth)

Dentist: "Gary, come here and take a look at this."

Me: "wha-ha-huck?" (Again, knuckles deep in my grill)

Gary is the assistant who numbed me up. He walks up, peers in, and whistles. I am less than pleased. Two more people walk up and check me out. I get more annoyed.

Dentist: "So, hey listen, congrats on your promotion. Really spectacular. You've cracked your right lower wisdom tooth in half. I have no idea why you're not screaming in agony, but I'm going to pull out all your wisdom teeth, okay?"

I had not been feeling any pain at all. In a routine cleaning, the dental assistant told me I needed to schedule this appointment, saying my tooth was cracked. Now, the only pain I was feeling was the sick feeling in my stomach that my day was taking a nosedive.

This is my day. There are many like it, this one is mine.

Now, for those who aren't accustomed to Army medicine - there's no laughing gas. Think "cost effective." I digress. The procedure takes about an hour. It wasn't pleasant.

So, after all that, here I am. Laid up, still a little numb, and wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to stay primal on a liquid diet? (supposedly once the numb stops, I'm not going to be in the mood for food).

Thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Good, rich, meaty soup.

Green smoothies.

Also, ouch. Though you may find you're OK - I had no pain after wisdom tooth extraction (just from the upper jaw) - very, very different from the experience after having one extensively filled, when the nerve was still there and making its presence felt.

Debdoub is offline Member
    I had all four wisdom teeth removed on the same day years ago. One had him with a foot propped on the chair, he was pulling so hard. Anyway, no pain by the next day.

I hope you are so lucky!

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    mine were so gnarly that even though I had them removed when I was 17, they had to give me general anesthesia to get em out. you can make jello with unflavored knox gelatin and fruit juice (more primal than the sugar and artificial everything in the name brand stuff at least). baby food is also an ok choice, they all seem to have some kind of grain in them, so I'd look for the "and rice" flavors which at least won't have wheat or corn in them.

STRAWS ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND! smoothies are awesome, but you drink them from a cup ok? no straws. dry socket sucks. a lot. you don't want it. no straws!

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by moonablaze View Post
    mine were so gnarly that even though I had them removed when I was 17, they had to give me general anesthesia to get em out. you can make jello with unflavored knox gelatin and fruit juice (more primal than the sugar and artificial everything in the name brand stuff at least). baby food is also an ok choice, they all seem to have some kind of grain in them, so I'd look for the "and rice" flavors which at least won't have wheat or corn in them.

STRAWS ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND! smoothies are awesome, but you drink them from a cup ok? no straws. dry socket sucks. a lot. you don't want it. no straws!
    Wot she sed! I had most of me molars removed last year (I now have fewer teeth now than I did 30 years ago).

If ever there was a reason to go Primal - me gob's it!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Scrambled eggs with lots of butter. And good luck.

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    Soup / broth and smoothies sound like your best bet.

Or, if you can handle mushy but non-liquid stuff, try tuna and egg salad. I ate a lot of that when my wisdoms got taken out. I blended canned tuna with avocados or eggs with mayo until the mixture was smooth enough to eat comfortably. I'm sure you could work some well-mashed sweet potato or nut butters into your diet as well?

Good luck with your recovery.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I got my two lower wisdom teeth taken out last week, and I really need the advice in this thread too! My teeth are still sensitive when I was expecting the pain to pretty much be gone by now (it's been five days), and I wonder if it's because I tried to chew earlier than I should have, and/or because my teeth were impacted and causing pain anyway. I've also been taking painkillers so I've been sleeping whenever I don't have to work and not really cooking. So I've been eating yogurt (not exactly primal, but I don't have to do anything to prepare it), but not enough to satiate, and so have had days where I don't really eat, or days when I eat junk because I get so hungry or because of social situations. I actually have chili in the freezer that I could turn into more of a soup, maybe I should try that. I also had one day where all I consumed was coconut water; it would probably be better to try that with coconut milk though.