Thread: Primal Journal - Laguz page

Laguz is offline Member

Primal Journal - Laguz

Shop Now
    So here I am. I finally decided to start a journal to track my primal journey and my attempt to ease it into my everyday life. I've browsed MDA for a while before joining the forums, browsed the forums for a while, and now I'm making a journal!

A bit of background:

I've never really been overweight, or had health issues in the past, but even as a young kid, I enjoyed eating good food. Some of my favorite snacks when I was younger were carrots, yogurt, cottage cheese, and apples. Enter school age, and I start snacking on typical junk food (apple fritters and fries). It wasn't until after college that I decided to get back on track with eating better. At 5'5" and 155 pounds (all skinny fat, as I rarely exercised), I wasn't feeling fit at all. I came across the Montignac Method (basically low GI foods), and started learning about sugars and refined grains. I saw immediate results, dropping 10 pounds within weeks, and generally feeling better. After a month, I hit a plateau, and couldn't lose any more (still not exercising). I'd heard about the Paleo diet somewhere, and decided to look into it. Researching Paleo brought me to MDA and Mark's Primal Blueprint.

I've been following the food guidelines about 60% for a month or so now, and I can definitely tell the difference in my digestion and energy levels (lost another 5 pounds). Now I just need to get my body moving!

As far as goals are concerned, I think I just want to be fit/healthy. I don't really have a weight goal, as I'll just get heavier as muscle replaces fat (but I'm having trouble letting go of the scale).

So yeah. There it is, and here it begins.

Laguz is offline Member
    First day of logging!

B: a few bites of veggies (squash, broccoli, Brussels sprouts) sauteed in coconut oil

Bev: black coffee

L: leftover chicken roast with the same veggies as breakfast, frozen blackberries and whole-milk plain yogurt

D: don't know yet

W/O: no workout today*

*Heading down to Wilsonville to study with the boyfriend tonight, so no time for working out. Dinner will be whatever his mom makes. =)

Tried to wake up early this morning to work out before heading off to work, but last night's ninja migraine made me sleep past my alarm (but it was kind enough to give me enough time to get ready for work).
    Last edited by Laguz; 11-10-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Laguz is offline Member
    B: Two eggs made with butter, and a little cheese

L: Spinach greens, carrot, leftover chicken soup

D: Something involving sauteed root veggies. And maybe fish.

I felt pretty bad over the weekend, due to a major slip up last Thursday. The boyfriend and I went to the midnight showing of Harry Potter, so we got something quick for dinner. He really wanted pizza, so I caved. And I paid for it. I spent most of Sunday in bed with lots of tea, snacking on salad, sardines, and tangerines, while watching a Pirates of the Caribbean marathon. Yesterday I got back on track, and I'm feeling much better.

Just in time for Thanksgiving, too! I'm making chocolate pumpkin cheesecake for the family (I make it every year). I'll have a hard time moderating my consumption of cheesecake and pumpkin pie this Thursday, but I won't feel bad about avoiding the rolls or stuffing (never really liked them that much, anyway).
    My rarely updated outlet for random occurrences of creativity.

Alo's Nest

Laguz is offline Member
    B: two egg omelet with spinach and Tillamook garlic cheese
    L: leftover morning omelet with some game hen, radish, carrot, and spinach; small orange
    s: small mandarin orange
    D: most likely leftover game hen with some rice

It's been insane the last few days. House-sitting for my parents the last week and working 9-12 hours each day (oh yeah, and 8 hours on Saturday). I've been on my own for all meals, which means I've been adventurous (kind of). I went to Uwajimaya looking for a whole duck I could roast, but had no luck finding any. They had single 3oz duck breasts for $6! I could buy a pound of bison for that much and it would last me at least 3 meals. So I got two frozen Cornish game hens instead (they were about $3.50 each). I stuffed one with broccoli, daikon radish, and onions, and basted it with cumin/turmeric butter, and popped it in the oven. I'd say my first bird roast was a success, it was quite delicious!

Which reminds me. They had chicken livers and heart tips at the market, not to mention all sorts of strange fish. I'll have to try some of those.

Alo's Nest

Laguz is offline Member
    Damn, I've really let things slide. I've fallen back into convenience. Working 60+ hours a week and making holiday/birthday gifts leaves very little energy for cooking my own meals.

*Sigh* Maybe after the holidays I will be able to pick it back up again. My stomach will be much happier then.

Alo's Nest

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Laguz! Is your screen name by chance a reference to Fire Emblem? If so, great taste in videogames!

Maybe a crockpot could help with preparing meals. There are lots of great recipes on this site and others, and it looks like you're a pretty accomplished cook already, so you could probably whip up something on your own too.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of my cooking on the weekend to save time during the week. For example this Sunday I baked two trays full of roasted root veggies (rutabaga, carrot, parsnip, turnip) and 5 huge chicken breasts all coated in salt and pepper and italian seasoning. Nothing fancy, but it got me by. Other than eggs, I haven't really cooked anything this week and I still have one more chicken breast to eat. I did supplement with some sardines and canned pumpkin. And some previously frozen greens. Anyway, I think figuring out how to save time in the kitchen could really help.

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    I know things can get hectic but maybe pre-prepping your meals might help?

Signature Approved by Mark Sisson

Laguz is offline Member
    Oh goodness. I really fell off the face of the earth for a while! Sorry about not replying at all. =(

@Yodie - My name is actually a reference to the rune Laukaz, which means water, lake, or ocean. I have not played FE, but I've heard it was good! I'm a fan of RPGs and fantasy games, but I'm trying to cut down on how much time I spend playing them. Lately I've just started playing Morrowind (the older one).

@TAW - Thanks for the tip! I've been doing that more now, as well as making more food with dinner so I have plenty of leftovers for lunch.

Laguz is offline Member
    Wow, so things have been hectic for a while. To make a long story short:

I had to move back with my parents for a while, but I quickly realized that I could not get back into the flow of living with them. I love them, but their place didn't feel like home to me. I decided I had to get my own place again, and hopefully take advantage of dropping housing prices. And boy did I!
    In April I bought a condo for about $68k, and have been living with my boyfriend since.

Now that I have full control over what I eat, I am much more able to follow PB. My parents were fat-phobes, and making anything with aromas in the morning made my mother sick to her stomach. She also cooked everything in corn oil or had some sort of low-fat substitute for something. It was difficult to stock up on food for myself without feeling like I was taking over their fridge. While they were supportive, I really tried to not step on their toes (their house, their rules) with my change.

In the near year that I've been away, I ate what I felt like eating (which did include processed junk food crap), and it showed. I had gained nearly 10 pounds (not that bad, but noticeable on me), and I had frequent low-level bowel issues.

But now I'm back and ready to go full hog! (As I've heard it said)

Laguz is offline Member
    The other night I tried making a different version of Batty's Blueberry Butter Balls. Instead of blueberries, I used pumpkin and added cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg. I also rolled them in almond meal. The taste was delicious! However, during the mixing process, I decided the pumpkin wasn't strong enough, so I added an extra 1/4 cup of pumpkin. This made the consistency strange. Instead of firm butter, it was more like a creamy texture that melted instantly. They are so rich, it's almost hard to finish one!

1c unsalted butter
    3/4c pumpkin puree (maybe use 1/2c instead)
    2 egg yolks
    cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg to taste
    almond meal (for coating)

I've been pretty good lately, making tons of veggies with good fats. No grains, limited sugar (except an occasional small piece of dark chocolate), and I've been walking more. I haven't gotten into the habit of exercising yet, but soon I will. I recently found out that one of my VFF is rubbing a hole in my heel. At first it was just an annoyance, but now it's quite painful. After taking a look at it this morning, I found that the stitching on the heel is doubled on itself and making the surface very abrasive to my skin. I might have to exchange for a different pair soon. =(

I'm down 5 pounds from when I started last week, and my slight bloat is gone! So far so good!

Alo's Nest