Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here at MDA in the military? page

primal pete is offline Senior Member

Anyone here at MDA in the military?

After much thought I have decided to enlist as an officer in the united states military. My plan is to go to OCS and get a finance job of some kind. I already have a college degree, but I am hoping to find a way for the military to comp for an MBA down the line. I still can't believe I have decided on this...but it feels right and I am dedicated to it. I've done a lot of research but I still haven't worked the gonads to call the recruiting offices of the various branches.

I've come to greatly respect the insights of the MDA community, on primal living and life in general, so I am hoping to communicate with those here who are in/have been in the military and get advice ect.

Grok on -Pete

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    What branch are you considering? Hubs is in the navy, and I have a school friend who's retired Air Force. Depending on what you want to get out of it and the amount of travel you do (or don't) want to do you may want to go one way or the other. Also, what job are you considering doing IN the military? That's the BIGGEST decision and you're stuck with it once you're in, so I'd definitely figure that out and talk to people doing that same job to get a feel for what it REALLY entails...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Meg's military. Why don't you PM her...?
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Russ is offline Senior Member
    why is it that you want to enter into an institution like the military?
    Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
    Current Weight: 266lbs
    High-school Weight: 235lbs
    Goal: ????

Arikara6 is offline Senior Member
    Pete:
    I'm Active Duty Army Officer. I've been in for 10 years. Maybe it's because I'm a combat arms guy, but stuff like this:

I already have a college degree, but I am hoping to find a way for the military to comp for an MBA down the line.
    grinds my gears significantly. This isn't a good enough reason to me - service has to be something you believe in. Don't join my Army just because you want something from Uncle Sugar. You have to believe in what you're doing - particularly if you're expecting the Army to send you to OCS.

Are you okay with leaving your loved ones for a year at a time to deploy in harms way? Even support soldiers (read: finance officers, logistics guys, etc) all have to do that.

Are you okay with being on call 24/7? Missing anniversaries and birthdays because you're training? Missing weekends for no other reason than work needs to get done?

Again, I'm all about you getting in - but you need to ask yourself a few more tough questions. If you're just looking for a free MBA (BTW - someone may be misleading you if you think you just get let into OCS and a master's) then I'd commend to you that the Army probably isn't for you.

Just my honest opinion.

That being said - if you have questions - please feel free to fire away. If you'd like, PM me, and I'll even give you my email address.

more importantly, are you ok with killing people?

more importantly, are you ok with killing people?
    Indeed.

For some of us, that's the fun part.

Though that being said - if he's going to be a bean-counter, there isn't a whole lot of killing he'll be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikara6 View Post
    Indeed.

For some of us, that's the fun part.

Though that being said - if he's going to be a bean-counter, there isn't a whole lot of killing he'll be doing.
    that's a terrifyingly evil statement.

[QUOTE][that's a terrifyingly evil statement.
    /QUOTE]

Yeah, meant to be in jest - though probably in poor taste. Apologies. We all cope with our own shit in our own way.
    Last edited by Arikara6; 11-10-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Russ, PM inbound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast