Russ is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    received.
    Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
    Current Weight: 266lbs
    High-school Weight: 235lbs
    Goal: ????

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Pete, I see a bit of a red flag in your message. You said enlist and officer in the same sentence, which means to me you have talked to an enlisted recruiter. If you already have a degree, please for the love all all that is good, contact an officer recruiter! The enlisted recruiters will say many things to get you to enlist, and promise you things they can't provide. Then after Basic you will find that it isn't as easy as you thought to become commissioned.

Depending on what your degree is in you may be eligible for a direct commission. If you are not you can be accepted directly into some commissioning programs. If you can find a way to have it on your original contract that you will be commissioned then you are in a better place. OCS can be a competitive program depending on the needs of the military, so it isn't guaranteed that you will get accepted once you enlist, especially if you get a job that the military does not want to release you from to allow you to attend OCS.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I've served in the Army and in the Air Force. The thing that many people don't understand is the military isn't a job. It consumes your life. At times, it's very exciting. Other times, you want to stab your eyes out because you're doing something you utterly hate but have few options for making a change. I agree with the previous concerns about joining simply to get an advanced degree underwritten. If there isn't a love of service and a desire to give something back then save yourself and those in service a lot of grief and move on.

And listen to NutMeg: you don't "enlist" if you're becoming an officer.

Feel free to send me a private message with any questions you may have.
    Last edited by say_rahhh; 11-10-2010 at 09:18 PM.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    I appreciate the honest responses from everyone. I didn't mean to imply that I'm strictly considering joining for a free MBA meal ticket...hardly. I'm merely considering that as a nice possible incentive to being an officer, but it's not at all the reason I'm planning to do this. I do take great interest in the notion of service to my country. If I really wanted to grind out a corporate job post graduation I would have found it by now. Instead, I've simply gotten by on odds and ends jobs here and there that don't really have a future, and certainly don't utilize my degree in math/econ.

I've been doing a ton of research on the various branches and trying to talk to everyone I can to learn more about the service, having worked harder at this by far than networking for a regular job. To those who've asked: I'm looking into finance positions in the Air Force, Navy, and Army. I haven't talked to any recruiters yet, but my plan is to call the various recruiters in my area this week, however, I couldn't find distinct officer and "enlisting" recruiter contact information.

I'm definitely going to pm some people in this thread, because honestly I need to talk to as many people as I can and get the right information.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    http://www.airforce.com/opportunitie.../nontechnical/

For the Air Force try this. It should help you get in contact with an officer recruiter. Some of the jobs that you may be able to use your degree would be, finance, contracting, logistics, services and cost analysis. There are other positions only require a bachelors degree too.
    Last edited by NutMeg; 11-10-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Dgr_874 is offline Member
    I'm available too. I spent 10 years enlisted in the Air Force and then tried to go Army OCS before being sidelined by medical problems. Now that they have cleared up, I'm trying to get back into the Army.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Dgr, I appreciate the offer. I sent online forms to the Air Force and Navy yesterday so I imagine I'll be hearing from a recruiter soon. Also got the numbers for the officer recruiting stations...but I haven't worked up the gonads to make the calls yet. I've always had a phone phobia, so I just have to suck it up and do it I guess.

My friend in the Navy is getting me in touch with an officer in the Army which is awesome, so hopefully I can get some good information before I move forward with looking into OCS ect.

I guess I'll keep this thread running and let MDA know how it's going.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12