Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me.... lots of food allergies page

Please help me.... lots of food allergies

Shop Now
    Hey everyone, You all are so full of information and encouragement. That's why I am asking you to help me. I have already posted my success with eating Primal. I have lost 65 pounds since Feb. of this year. The problem I am having is that my food choices are so limited because of allergies and autoimmune problems.

The doctor doesn't even have a name for my autoimmune food problems. But I get EXTREMELY ill if I eat nightshde veggies or spices: eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes, bellpeppers, jalepenos, paprika, chipotle. This has been the hardest to stay away from because I LOVE spices and spicy foods, I also miss tomato sauce and soups. I get an intoxicated (in a bad way) feeling if I eat any of those foods.
    I get confused, my face, hands and feet go numb and I get anxiety. Its so crazy! The nightshades also inflame my joints and make me feel like I have arthritis.

The other foods I can't tolerate are gluten, dairy, soy, nuts, and ALL GRAINS. The doctor is not sure why I react to so many foods but I do. I swell, gain weight, get foggy headed, anxiety, acne, pcos flares up, and stomach issues majorly.

The only foods I do tolerate well with no problems are: all animal protein and fish,eggs in small amounts only, all fruit, coconut in small amounts and not everyday, all veggies except nightshades, hemp milk, stevia, sweet potatoes, all fats except butter (dairy), coffee, dairy free choc. in small amounts, sugar in any form in small amounts only, and all beans / legumes. I do ok with peanut butter in small amounts because it is actually a legume and not a nut.

Here is the problem I can tolerate beans, peanut butter but they are not primal and it bothers me not to follow the plan exactly. But I am so limited and I get bored easily. My weight loss has come to a halt when I added in beans and was eating some corn but corn definately made me sick.
    I know this is crazy, but I miss the beans and pbutter.

I cut them out and still have not had anymore weight loss.

What would you do with all of these food limitations?
    Would you eat in moderation the foods that didn't make you sick primal or not?
    Do you have any ideas for the food boredom?

Thanks!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like major systemic inflammation. I have had lots of food allergies and 99% of them disappeared after about 9 months of supplementing with Vitamin D3 (I took 8,000 IUs--great to start with 4-5,000 IUs and get tested to see where your blood levels are. Lots more info on the Vitamin D thread on this forum or on the Vitamin D Council's website.

If you reduce your inflammation and heal your gut lining (coconut oil is great for this), some, if not all of your allergies will likely go away. This may take some time, but in the meantime, I would definitely avoid all grains and legumes because they are just going to continue to irritate your gut lining. Also, you need to avoid the foods that make you sick or your system is going to continue to be overstressed with the inflammation and you could make yourself even more sick.

Read the recipes on the blog and check out the recipe forum for some help with the food boredom. I'm in the same boat--getting very bored with my eggs every morning!

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    I still think you could get creative with your "safe" foods. All animal protein gives you a lot to work with, plus all the non-nightshade veggies, spices, and herbs. A few meal options that come to mind...

Stew with beef, onion, carrots, parsnips, beef broth, fresh thyme, and a splash of red wine.
    A steak with grilled asparagus, and squash/carrot soup.
    A fritatta with sausage/bacon and veggies and a beaten egg.
    Fish in a herb/citrus marinade with sauteed zuchinni and yellow squash.
    Lamb burgers with garlic & rosemary with a cucumber salad
    Crispy Roast Duck (so yummy) with roasted root veggies
    Big salads
    Giant stirfry/one pan combos
    Etc...

Maybe the new cookbook we'll get today will be of help as well? Good luck regardless. You may just have to push your culinary comfort zone out a little bit in order to get out of the rut.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Hi uniquelymade

You and I seem to have just about the same problem. An almost exact match on problem foods. And in my years dealing with this, I've come across many others. It seems that some of us have simply lost immunological tolerance for anything other than truly paleolithic foods, or anything with an even slightly challenging compound in it.

In your position what I would do is firstly, get well. You can do this by eating very simply - protein, fat, starch/veg at every meal. Big enough meals to keep you going until the next meal, 3 meals a day. If you use FitDay you can ensure you are getting enough calories to keep the weight on / gain weight. I would strongly recommend getting rid of ALL gut irritants until you're happy you're stable, then if you still want to, test things like peanut butter again.

Here's a sample of the way I eat (at least when I've got full range of foods on my allowable list):

Breakfast: 2 tins wild red salmon, yam, spinach all fried in a large amount of lard.
    Lunch: Lots leaves, beetroot, olive oil, leftover roast lamb, roast sweet potatoes
    Dinner: Roast pork belly, roast broccoli in lard, cabbage

It's not exciting, but I've discovered that when you feel well, nothing else really matters that much. I took a conscious decision some time ago to stop treating food as entertainment and get my thrills elsewhere. I also rotate my major proteins / fats every 4 days in an attempt to avoid getting intolerant to more foods.

Make sure you're vitamin D status is good, that you're getting a good omega 3/6 balance and for the finer points of supplementation, refer to cillikat's posts, you'll find it all there. Good luck, and if there's anything you need to ask, fire away.

Edit: Sorry, I missed the point you made about having solved the weight loss problem.
    Last edited by racingsnake; 11-10-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member
    I'm dealing with the same issues... I'm allergic to all dairy, gluten, grains, corn, soy, pesticides, tree nuts, "regular" meat & eggs, fish, etc... I've been taking probiotics, digestive enzymes, vitamin D, & flaxseed oil. Since going 100% Primal I finally feel awesome and have lots of energy again! My skin/gastro issues are gone. I won't go back to the "SAD" again...

Since going through an elimination diet I lost 50lbs...

These are the only foods I eat: Fruits & Vegetables, Pork, beef, eggs, (all organic, grass fed, free range, etc...) extra virgin olive oil & the fat drippings from my organic bacon, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper. I'm quite small (5'9", 116lbs) but able to keep my weight stable now. It's nothing exciting but everything I eat is simple, organic & pure. It's worth feeling & looking this way for me. At first I did think..."how boring", but that didn't last long!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Primal Babe; 11-10-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Sounds like major systemic inflammation. I have had lots of food allergies and 99% of them disappeared after about 9 months of supplementing with Vitamin D3 (I took 8,000 IUs--great to start with 4-5,000 IUs and get tested to see where your blood levels are. Lots more info on the Vitamin D thread on this forum or on the Vitamin D Council's website.

If you reduce your inflammation and heal your gut lining (coconut oil is great for this), some, if not all of your allergies will likely go away. This may take some time, but in the meantime, I would definitely avoid all grains and legumes because they are just going to continue to irritate your gut lining. Also, you need to avoid the foods that make you sick or your system is going to continue to be overstressed with the inflammation and you could make yourself even more sick.

Read the recipes on the blog and check out the recipe forum for some help with the food boredom. I'm in the same boat--getting very bored with my eggs every morning!
    Thank you so much for this info.
    My vit. D levels were tested and were low.
    I was 16. I take 2000 I.U. daily.
    I will definately bump it up.

Thank you all for the input.
    I will definatly consider everything.
    I'm going back to simple and will try new recipes.
    Thanks

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Eggs are so versatile, I'd focus on that. When you say small amounts, how small is small? Can you eat only one egg at a time? If so, you could still make some killer egg dishes using one egg, tons of veggies and various seasonings. Puree it with pumpkin or spinach and cook it like a pancake. Make it big and thin and fill it like an omelette. Scramble it and stir-fry it with stuff. Make egg-drop soup with a good broth and meat and veggies.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I'd check out the candida thread, and read it all--lots of food allergy healing stuff there.

I'd absolutely keep legumes out, and continue to focus on healing. Bone broths, fermented foods, plus supps of various vites/minerals you may be lacking (from recent stuff in the candida thread, D, K2, Mag, Zinc, +....)

Good luck!!! This stuff is sooooo difficult!

Also, there are nightshade free recipes using pumpkin or other roasted and mashed squashes in place of tomato (for marinara and BBQ sauces etc), along with recipes using cumin and other nightshade free spices for Mexican sauces and dishes. KEEP LOOKING--there are LOTS of options w/ nightshade free recipes if you get creative enough. Indian food is something you may want to look into as well--many recipes are versatile and peppers etc could be left out without a dish lacking.

Maybe start up a nightshade free recipe thread in the recipes section--you may find some great ideas there.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uniquelymade View Post
    My vit. D levels were tested and were low.
    I was 16. I take 2000 I.U. daily.
    I will definately bump it up.
    Cillakat recommends about 1000 IUs for every 25 lbs body weight--so it sounds like you are def. not taking enough. I'd check out the D thread as well!

Again, good luck!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast