Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going higher carb for a while - dangers? page

racingsnake is offline Senior Member

Going higher carb for a while - dangers?

Shop Now
    So I'm going to have to go higher carb for a while - probably around 6 months while I lose the intolerances I've built up to beef and pork. My immune system has a habit of doing this, and it would appear that the 4 day food rotation I do to avoid it hasn't been enough.

Because I can't eat coconut oil, avocado or nut oil this leaves me stuck for calories from fat, which means I need to switch over to getting a lot more calories from carbs for a while. I'll be getting these from sweet potato, true yam , cassava, squash, parsnips etc - all primal carbs.

I'll still be having one big 'meat feed' day per week on lamb where 70% or so calories come from fat, but the rest of the week will be fish, poultry, shellfish, veggies and the big starchy carbs. Calories from protein will probably rise to 25%-30%.

I'm concerned about the effect on my insulin levels, and was just wondering whether anyone has any knowledge about whether this form of diet is likely to be detrimental, and any ideas for improving the quality of the diet.

After eating Primal since the start of the year, munching down this much volume is pretty weird!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Anything wrong with eggs?

Not objectively, but according to my immune system, they are spawn of the devil.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Are you overweight? Diabetic? If you don't have any problems with insulin sensitivity, then eating carbs shouldn't really be harmful since your blood sugar won't have problems stabilizing. Since you're worried about insulin I'll assume you do have problems though In this case, you will still see benefits from being low carb, despite having fewer fat sources. Also I don't think you should be worried about having a higher protein intake, as the litterature shows it has a beneficial effect on weight loss, and the rabid starvation myths only really occur when eating NOTHING but lean meats or jerky etc. This obviously isn't your case if you're eating animals with fat on them + veggies.

The best option would probably be to eat lots of fatty meat daily (you said lamb, but also duck, salmon, cook with bone broths), non-starchy veggies, cooked with lots of pastured butter or duck fat and olive/nut oils for salad dressings or the like. The only reason to add starchy carbs during weightloss would be to add variety. If you feel you can't do without them I guess theres nothing to do but try eating them and see if you still get results.

HI Pandadude - thanks for your reply. Actually, I'm skinny and have problems keeping weight on, so I guess I can relax about insulin. Hence why I need the calories - under about 2500 cals per day I lose weight gradually. It just feels so bizarre sitting down and eating a massive pile of starchy carbs instead of a nice heap of fatty meat. From your comment, my metabolism will likely cope.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Check out The Perfect Health Diet--may be up your alley for the moment. http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?page_id=8 Its basically primal/paleo + starchy carbs.

Good luck!

Thanks for pointing out this FairyRae - I've had a look at this and it does look good. However, they are still recommending around 400 cals per day from starches and 65%-70% from fat. I'm hitting up to and sometimes significantly over 1000 calories a day from starchy carbs.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    To build a stronger tolerance for a range of foods, I would add fermented foods and bone broths. Also, rotate foods on a 4 day schedule so that if you have something on Monday, you don't repeat again until Friday. For people with multiple and increasing food intolerances, I am concerned over narrowing the available foods which might encourage sensitivies to build if you eat too much of one thing. The only thing I recommend to stick strictly away from is gluten.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Ok, so you're eating carbs. DONT worry about it AT ALL then imo. When you're insulin sensitive then starch won't do anything to harm your health. The carb sources you listed don't contain anything in the form of harmful substances like phytates either. Quality of food > macronutrient composition. As I see it there are 3 common dietary pathways in which you can mess up your health:
    1. Insulin resistance - you have to reduce carbs or suffer all sorts of blood sugar problems.
    2. Gut problems - avoid gut irritants: grains, legumes, (nuts, seeds, dairy, nightshades).
    3. Liver problems - avoid fructose, alcohol, vitamin overdoses and other toxic substances.
    All of these are of course exaberated by each other and other factors such as stress, inflammation etc.
    Paleo starch sources are only involved in the first group, and contain tons of nutrients. Excessive fruit can be involved in the 3rd group aswell.. Sorry for the slight offtopic there at the end, guess I just wanted to jot down some thoughts and sound smart lol.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    sooo was there a question to this post or your just starting a low fat higher carb, opposite fat feeding as opposed to carb feeding journal thing here? lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast