Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sun beds page

maranne is offline Senior Member

Wink sun beds

Shop Now
    What's the general consensus on the use of sun beds in winter?

I am pretty fair and have not used them at all but I am thinking of trying since the winters in Austria can be pretty harsh.
    Any ideas welcome!
    M

amberlee is offline Senior Member
    In Australia there was a big back lash about the UV rays having the same risk of skin cancer

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I've started using tanning beds recently, about once a week. I think that there might be some benefits to radiation other than vitamin D (I do supplement though). I definetely feel an improvement in my mood after tanning if the weather has been especially gloomy for a while.
    Just make sure that the tanning beds have the same UV composition as real sunlight.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by amberlee View Post
    In Australia there was a big back lash about the UV rays having the same risk of skin cancer
    That's incorrect. Sunbeds increase your risk of cancer tenfold as compared to the same length of time in the sun. Think about it. Earth is 93 million miles from the Sun - a sunbed's UVA lamps are just 9" away from your skin.

See advice given by Cancer Research UK here http://www.sunsmart.org.uk/advice-an...ntion/sunbeds/
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    I've started using tanning beds recently, about once a week. I think that there might be some benefits to radiation other than vitamin D (I do supplement though). I definetely feel an improvement in my mood after tanning if the weather has been especially gloomy for a while.
    Just make sure that the tanning beds have the same UV composition as real sunlight.
    And why would that make them any safer? The COMPOSITION of the light has bugger all to do with whether you'll develop skin cancer - it's the proximity to your body; 2 minutes on a sunbed is the equivalent to 20 minutes in the sun at the hottest part of the day (between 11 & 3).

Why risk it? Seems a completely fuckwitted thing to want to do when you can take a softgel without risk.

But it's your life - if you want to kill yourself, who am I to try to stop you...?
    La tristesse durera toujours...

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Here's a bit from Dr Mercola - obviously approves of modern sunbeds.

http://tanningbeds.mercola.com/tanni...nning-bed.aspx

Mollymoe is offline Senior Member
    As I understand it, taking supplements for vitamin D is not quite as good for you as producing it yourself via sunlight.

From Dr Eades' blog:

"Why not just take the supplements and forget about the sun?

Vitamin D made in the skin lasts at least twice as long in the blood as vitamin D ingested from the diet. When you are exposed to sunlight, you make not only vitamin D but also at least five and up to ten additional photoproducts that you would never get from dietary sources or from a supplement.

Old Mother Nature is pretty parsimonious with her creations, and I suspect she wouldn’t have five to ten photoproducts circulating around if they didn’t do something good for us. Just because we aren’t advanced enough yet to figure out what it is they do, doesn’t mean they don’t do something. Thus Dr. Holick’s recommendation to hit the sun if at all possible instead of the supplement bottle.

Plus, there are some downsides to indiscriminately throwing back the supplements without monitoring your 25 (OH)D levels."

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/s...hine-superman/

Having said that, I'm not sure how this translates to sunbeds. I'm guessing that they have a similar effect, but funnily enough the only results I found on a google search for vitamin d and sunbeds were from various sunbed associations or tanning salons who, seemed to think it was good to use sunbeds...

I should think that you would need to take the same sort of precautions as you would in exposing yourself to strong sunlight, particularly if you have fair skin - perhaps starting very slowly and being especially sure that you do not burn.

maranne is offline Senior Member
    Thanks so much for your interesting replies so far!

I am already taking Vitamin D3 in big amounts which is helping.

@shrinking...thanks for your input, now if only you had not used the last sentence involving the word killing! It gives you no credibility whatsoever.

M

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
    And why would that make them any safer? The COMPOSITION of the light has bugger all to do with whether you'll develop skin cancer - it's the proximity to your body; 2 minutes on a sunbed is the equivalent to 20 minutes in the sun at the hottest part of the day (between 11 & 3).

Why risk it? Seems a completely fuckwitted thing to want to do when you can take a softgel without risk.

But it's your life - if you want to kill yourself, who am I to try to stop you...?
    good lord.
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    One thing I'd like to note is that I am obviously not spending the same time under a tanning bed as I would lying in the real sun just 7-8 minutes (I'm quite pale) and I never burn. Radiation only tends to cause skin cancer in unhealthy individuals with already low vit D levels/antioxidants to protect the skin.The only reason tanning beds are "more dangerous" is that they have a higher light intensity, and some people don't realize this and spend upwards of 20 minutes in a tanning bed, and come out a lobster. As with most other stressors, its all in the dosage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast