Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on GAINING weight page

MonkeyGuy is offline Member

Need advice on GAINING weight

I know lots of people here are after weight loss but I am always looking for good, quick ways to gain weight (I mean muscle not fat!). When I do a strength training session (2-3 days a week, full body workouts), I will typically have a scoop of protein powder (either whey or egg) immediately afterward, followed by a meal a little after that. I eat paleo/primal most of the time and try to keep my protein levels up fairly high.

I cannot seem to gain much weight no matter what I do. How should I be eating to go along with strength training?
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Not a lot of personal experience but during the last nutrition challenge at the gym here one of the young guys (high school kid) was trying to put on some weight. He was eating something like 4000 calories a day including a fair bit of dairy and then working out well at the gym. Thats all I've got for ya.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    A protein shake isn't going to do much if you haven't eaten enough overall calories to build muscle. That's basically your problem. I would also switch out the full body workouts to something with heavy compound movements like deads, squats, military press, chess press and pullup/chinups....these always work pretty well for me and most of the people I know. You may also want to adjust carbs upward if your extremely low (under 100).......pretty difficult to build muscle otherwise, in my personal experience anyway.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

electrik87 is offline Junior Member
    eat LOTS of fruits, veggies, nuts and lots of animal protein...as well as lift big heavy compound lifts, liked stated above. bench, deads, squats, weighted chins etc, as well as proper assistance exercises. Get 3-5 minutes rest between sets so you can give max effort on every set. On your "off" days keep active with a walk/hike or whatever you want. Seems to be working for me right now. Ive gone through the "bodybuilding" style work outs, as well as the "crossfit" style circuits, staying lean, but never had lots of muscle. I've actually switched my focus from "bodybuilding" and put a focus on strength training, and not only does adding plates to the bar get addictive, but it also puts on a lot of muscle.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Certainly eat more, get more primal carbs in there especially on workout days, maybe less (or regular carb intake) on non-workout days. Accept the fact that you will gain fat no matter what, but if you choose the slow and long approach to weight gain you may see less body fat increase. Building muscle takes patience and time, and careful watch over what you eat.

Check out www.leangains.com if you're not familiar. If gaining muscle without too much fat is what you're after this guy is it. Check out how some of his clients are training and what they're eating. Good luck.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Lift really heavy stuff (strength training, squats etc.) and eat a ton. Whole milk is a proven weight gainer, though not primal. It's far from the worst non-primal food though.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    You probably gain more fat than muscle on milk though, I don't know I'm just assuming that's what would happen...

Tommy7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    You probably gain more fat than muscle on milk though, I don't know I'm just assuming that's what would happen...
    There are many successful followers of the heavy breathing squats protocol that also calls for lots of milk for bulking. Super Squats written by Randall J. Strossen is the bible for this.
    Gaining weight is a matter of high calorie...clean calories. Compound lifts and squats as suggested. As far as doing it low carb I am too new to this to have any answer to that. When I bulked it used to be by adding more starches, rice, potatoes, etc. Lot's of shakes made from milk, protein powder, peanut butter, ice cream, olive oil, and whatever else would make a 1000 calorie or more shake! I also used to buy powdered milk and add it to a quart of regular milk shake it up and drink the whole container. This was years ago....things have changed these days.
    But super squats still works....it's a classic.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    It's all in your mind...

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do the lifts as recommended above. Get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. If you want to weigh 18lbs, eat 180 grams of protein per day. A pound is like 3650 calories. If you want to add a pound you have to eat 3650 calories above the amount required for your metabolic needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast