Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal Journal - Diamond Night page 2

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Diamond,

I am impressed that you are already losing weight. Do you have a "before," photo?

One thing I highly recommend is really sticking to fermented dairy, like Mark says. I eliminated it and then added it back & found I had a bad reaction to things like butter & cream. Seems as though you like cream and the good news is you can make a fermented cream called creme fraiche that you can make really easily. http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/h...e-fraiche.html
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

diamond_night is offline Junior Member
    Hi me2,

I've always wanted to say this: "I would like to thank me for your comments", while I am actually thanking somebody else (that being YOU, me2). Thanks! :-)

You may well be right with your dairy suggestion. I have a good tolerance for dairy, with family origins in northern/central Europe, and like it very much. But having a high level of tolerance, while protecting you from some effects, does not protect you from the insulinogenic effects, unfortunately. I've already cut back quite a bit on my milk and cream consumption, but will try to reduce it further; and substitute with yoghurt and creme fraiche.

I have yet to make my first yoghurt, but hope to be able to do so soon - reading the ingredient lists on the yoghurt tubs here has been an enlightening experience. Even looking only at plain yoghurts, almost all of them are fortified with starch -- not really what you want to see when you're trying to go primal, is it?

Best regards,
    John

diamond_night is offline Junior Member
    It's been a while since my last update, and with good reason: I was away, working long hours as a translator at a one-week conference. Although I enjoyed the work and the company of my colleagues, what was less pleasant was being cooped up in a windowless room for endless hours, hunched over a computer.

So... a week with no sports, buffet food, little sleep. How did it go?

Actually, not too badly! For the first time ever, all the chewy mints supplied so liberally to smooth our thinking were left untouched; the pasta and rice, likewise; the sugary desserts, also left for my colleagues; the many cups of coffee, all drunk without sugar or sweetener. I must say I am rather impressed with myself - so much temptation, resisted! (But perhaps not quite so impressive - cloying and sickly sweets seem to have lost some of their attraction, which is a bit of a relief.)

The end result was that although my weight did not go down any further, at least it did not go up. What a relief!

I've still got a few hectic weeks ahead of me, as translations often pile up towards year end (departments spending their budgets at year-end...), but I can't wait to get back into doing some exercises and getting some more sleep. Hope it works out.

B: Full-cream yoghurt with an apricot, a peach, and a banana
    L: Grilled chicken breasts with pesto, parmesan, and a side salad (restaurant)
    D: Roasted chicken thigh with roasted veggies (leftovers from Tuesday... a bit borderline!)
    S: Some unsalted, air-roasted nuts, and biltong (consumed while watching South Africa beat England at rugby -- go Bokke! )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12