Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melatonin how much? page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

Melatonin how much?

Primal Fuel
    How much melatonin is recommended for helping you sleep? I have 3mg tablets and the container says 1 before bed. is this sufficient?

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    I've taken 3 mg, now I take 5 mg which works well. Whatever works for you. If you find one is not enough then take 1 + 1 cut in half.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    It is very easy to overdo it on melatonin. I've read it's best to start with half of a 3mg for at least a few days and see if it helps. It's supposed to encourage and supplement the brain's natural production; not replace it. I was seeing a neurologist a few years ago who recommended a ramping up program wherein I was eventually taking 9mg every night. That was crazy.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by afsjesse View Post
    How much melatonin is recommended for helping you sleep? I have 3mg tablets and the container says 1 before bed. is this sufficient?

NONE! DO NOT TAKE MELATONIN UNLESS UNDER A DOCTOR'S SUPERVISION!! IT WILL MAKE YOU VERY ILL! Sorry for yelling, but I really do believe that melatonin should carry a health warning. I was waking up several times a night and rushing to the bathroom to chuck my guts up! That and it made me suicidal!

Listen to Carl. Just because something's natural DOES NOT mean it's safe!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry about S_V's response, most people are able to use melatonin without adverse effects. I would definitely start with the 3mg and see if that is able to help you with your sleeping problems.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
    NONE! DO NOT TAKE MELATONIN UNLESS UNDER A DOCTOR'S SUPERVISION!! IT WILL MAKE YOU VERY ILL! Sorry for yelling, but I really do believe that melatonin should carry a health warning. I was waking up several times a night and rushing to the bathroom to chuck my guts up! That and it made me suicidal!

This is absolutely spot-on. It CAN have serious side effects in people who do NOT have room for it's cortisol lowering effects. In some people it CAN trigger a life-threatening adrenal crisis. Vomiting uncontrollably, shivering, drop in body temperature, and low blood pressure are among some of the signs of crisis. It is NOT something to just 'play' with if you are uncertain of your cortisol levels. And if you haven't had the pleasure of a crisis, well, it's a party you'd do well to avoid.

It can be useful, but it can also be extremely dangerous. Low cortisol can also cause insomnia/poor sleep, and those are just the sort that will have issues with melatonin. Low cortisol is as common as high cortisol, so stating that most are able to use it without side effects is rather reckless, in my opinion. I would hesitate to start it without verifying cortisol levels first. Valerian, licorice, 5HTP, GABA are all options, but like everything else, they too have contraindictions. Natural doesn't equal safe.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post

For fuck's sake.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eklecktika View Post
    This is absolutely spot-on. It CAN have serious side effects in people who do NOT have room for it's cortisol lowering effects. In some people it CAN trigger a life-threatening adrenal crisis. Vomiting uncontrollably, shivering, drop in body temperature, and low blood pressure are among some of the signs of crisis. It is NOT something to just 'play' with if you are uncertain of your cortisol levels. And if you haven't had the pleasure of a crisis, well, it's a party you'd do well to avoid.

It can be useful, but it can also be extremely dangerous. Low cortisol can also cause insomnia/poor sleep, and those are just the sort that will have issues with melatonin. Low cortisol is as common as high cortisol, so stating that most are able to use it without side effects is rather reckless, in my opinion. I would hesitate to start it without verifying cortisol levels first. Valerian, licorice, 5HTP, GABA are all options, but like
    everything else, they too have contraindictions. Natural doesn't equal safe.

His cortisol is through the roof. He exercises daily, including lifting and running, and has not slept for two weeks.

Did not know melatonin lowers cortisol. Will have to pick some up, as I rarely sleep more than six hours. Thanks!

amberlee is offline Senior Member
    I have been told 5 mg works best to start and then you may lower it. Opposite to another member, but that worked for me.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Eklecktika View Post
    so stating that most are able to use it without side effects is rather reckless, in my opinion. I would hesitate to start it without verifying cortisol levels first.
    How is saying "most" reckless? I didn't say "it works for everyone so load up and if you feel sick you know it's working." I know many people who have sucessfully introduced melatonin and it helped with their sleep disturbance.

I cannot see the harm the OP trying it. If he gets a good night sleep and feels well when he takes it, then it is a solution for him.

I'm not saying that melatonin can't be dangerous, it most certainly could be as it is a hormone and has wide reaching effects. Do you have any academic refs for the adrenal crisis when supplementing at low levels that were being suggested here?

Edit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/befor...e-theyre-open/
    Mark's opinion on melatonin.
    Last edited by lcme; 11-09-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast