Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagerly awaiting the results page

kcult is offline Senior Member

Eagerly awaiting the results

Primal Fuel
    I had my annual check up this morning. Blood was drawn, BP was checked and I had a mole sliced off my back....Awesome!

My BP had always been around 130-135/85-95 in the Doc's office and I've been on BP meds for the last three years, maybe even four. Today it was 114/79. I have dropped 25 lbs. since I saw him last. I told him I had changed my eating habits and he wanted to know what I was doing. I told him that 'in a nutshell' I had quit eating sugar and grains. I didn't want to come right out and give it a name. That seems to cheapen it, imo. He said it sounded like a variation of Atkins or South Beach. I guess it could be called that, but I've heard it referred to more often as Paleo.

The interesting part of the conversation came when he said, "Well, if you're limiting carbohydrates and starches, by default you have to be eating more protein and fats." I said, "Yep, pretty much," expecting him to criticize to no end. He then says, "That's a very healthy way to eat and I expect your numbers to drop because of it." What? Did he just say that? I certainly wasn't expecting that, but I was relieved to hear it because that tells me that I'm not going to have to battle him on this. He did also recommend cutting my BP med dosage in half to see how it affects me and maybe some time soon I'll be off of it totally. Yay!

I should get my results by this time tomorrow and although I would love to see a drastic change, I'll settle for positive change. I want to see the change not necessarily because I believe the numbers matter to a great extent, but I have sort of a small following that would probably become motivated to try what I've been preaching if they can see a difference.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Well what do you, you can find a decent doctor who isn't stuck in CW hell. 25 lbs down and BP normal, no way any doc could argue with that anyway. I'm sure your blood work will come back good as well.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    Well what do you, you can find a decent doctor who isn't stuck in CW hell. 25 lbs down and BP normal, no way any doc could argue with that anyway. I'm sure your blood work will come back good as well.
    Not sure I follow your reply, Skinky - read his post again - he said that his GP told him that more fat and protein WAS healthy, not wasn't!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    That's why I said you CAN find a decent doctor, not can't find one. I meant this guy is rare.

AAAAAAARRRRGH!

No, it's not bad news. I called this afternoon coz my doc said the lab report would be there within 24 hours. Well, 4 p.m. would be 32 hours. I called and asked the lady if my report was in. She told me she doesn't know and would have to pull my chart to find out. Really? I'm not sure how I didn't rip off some of my special brand of sarcasm, but I asked her if she wouldn't mind doing that. She said she would call me back. You guessed it, no call.

Is anticipation stressful?

Well, so far it doesn't look too good. I don't have a copy of the report yet, but the lady told me my LDL went from 159 to 176 in a year (I started eating like this in late May) and although I don't recall what she said my HDL was (coz I swore she said HGL), she said my ratio had gone from 3.9 to 2.6.

I know this isn't anything to go on and I will swing by and grab the report after work, but I was hoping for a positive change when looking at it from a CW perspective coz that's who I'm trying to win over, the CW crowd. I'll get the report and post up some before and after numbers for discussion.

Oh, and the mole on my back was benign (sp?)

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    Definitely get all the results 1st, then go to the Cholesterol Primer here on MDA forums and do the math. My #'s are still 'high' on a few things, but my ratios are outstanding for the 1st time ever. It's so much more than a #. Congrats.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ht=cholesterol
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Okay, It's not what I was thinking. Here are the numbers:

Nov. 9, 2009
    Total: 225
    LDL: 155
    HDL: 39
    TGL: 154
    Glucose: 92

Nov. 9, 2010
    Total: 258
    LDL: 176
    HDL: 66
    TGL: 77
    Glucose: 106

Ya know, I never paid much attention to the glucose numbers. I'll have to look back over the last 3 or 4 years and see what those numbers were.

Off to the Cholesterol Primer!

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    WOOT for the HDL and Triglycerides. Those are awesome improvements!!
    Was that a fasting glucose?
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by LessofMimi View Post
    WOOT for the HDL and Triglycerides. Those are awesome improvements!!
    Was that a fasting glucose?
    I fasted, so I assume it is. The range indicated was 70-110.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast