Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's a nice introductory article page

Hilary is online now Senior Member

Here's a nice introductory article

Primal Fuel
    You know when people post asking for a link to show the family, who aren't about to plough their way through Taubes? Just found this:

http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

It covers evolution, farming, grains & legumes and their antinutrients, etc, and it's easy reading.

(Also I followed the link to his blog and found the 'Confessions of an Alien Abductee', which is hysterical.)

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    You rock! I have been looking for just this thing. A question for you ... if you WERE going to give a book to a family member (nope, not Taubes) which one would you pick? I am thinking of my mom and my aunt, who are smart ladies, but who probably don't want to spend a lot of mental effort figuring out the science behind Paleo/Primal, I'm guessing. But it will also need to seem very "credible," as they are both mainstream medical addicts, if you know what I mean.

I was trying to decide btw Paleo Diet, Primal Blueprint, Paleo Solution, and Primal Body Primal Mind. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    I'm waiting on Taubes's new one (Why We Get Fat) to show to my mum. GCBC for dummies, basically.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
    I'm waiting on Taubes's new one (Why We Get Fat) to show to my mum. GCBC for dummies, basically.
    OK, good idea. About 6 weeks until that one gets released, it appears. i will certainly be buying a copy.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazmin View Post
    You rock! I have been looking for just this thing. A question for you ... if you WERE going to give a book to a family member (nope, not Taubes) which one would you pick? I am thinking of my mom and my aunt, who are smart ladies, but who probably don't want to spend a lot of mental effort figuring out the science behind Paleo/Primal, I'm guessing. But it will also need to seem very "credible," as they are both mainstream medical addicts, if you know what I mean.

I was trying to decide btw Paleo Diet, Primal Blueprint, Paleo Solution, and Primal Body Primal Mind. Any thoughts or other suggestions?
    Sorry, completely free of thoughts here: the only one of those I've read myself is Primal Blueprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Sorry, completely free of thoughts here: the only one of those I've read myself is Primal Blueprint.
    I actually think it's the best of the bunch. Well, it's the one that changed my mind anyway. (Sorry if I get a little over-nerdy. I tend to get interested in a topic and then hole up for a few weeks, avoiding all other responsibilities, and do nothing but read everything I can find on the subject.)

I adore the PB, but I suspect my mom is going to need to see "MD" or "PhD" after an author's name in order to be convinced by them. She sooo believes doctors are the most trustworthy sources of health information. But here is what I am going to say to her. Mom, you and Dad are 61. You have been veggie-fish-etarians for almost 20 years. You eat nothing but whole grains, lots of oatmeal, lots of veggies and fruit, and you exercise for many hours a week. You have fibromylagia and psoriatic and regular arthritis and osteoporosis, and both of you have high cholesterol and are on statins, which have terrible side effects. YOU DID EVERYTHING RIGHT, according to medical wisdom. How's that working out for ya (to quote Dave Ramsey)? I hope hope hope they will listen. It breaks my heart to see my parents sick, especially when they work so hard to do everything "right."

I am just trying to come up with the best ammo for my mission "Turn Mom and Dad Primal!"

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazmin View Post

Primal Blueprint.

Paleo Diet - snooze. Paleo Solution, I LOVED but as a supplement to what I've already read. Primal Body Primal Mind, never read but Nora seems very extreme in her positions on some things I've heard here and there. Plus, her podcast is snoozeville.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I've just started reading it, but maybe they'd find The Paleo Solution more credible since it's from a former biochemist.

Worst case, you can include a note saying that for more information, they can look at these web sites by DOCTOR Davis and DOCTOR Harris and DOCTOR Eades, etc. =] Hehe.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Okay, that's a very interesting article and I like how he lays out why GBP are bad. But what's the deal with salt? Even animals seek out salt reservoirs to replenish their mineral supply, and don't even hunter-gatherers try to live near the sea, inland ancient seabed deposits, or traders of salt?

And ... string beans? Never heard them qualified as an actual bean that primal folks shouldn't have. Guess I need to search the forums for some more info on that. We eat them as a green vegetable.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Too paleo (as opposed to primal) for me. But yes, a good article to give to doubters (along with an explanation of why primal is not so strict.)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast