Thread: Question about article: Low-carb, high fat diets can increase bad cholesterol levels page

Momof2 is offline Junior Member

Question about article: Low-carb, high fat diets can increase bad cholesterol levels

Primal Fuel
    http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle...ol_levels.html

This is an old article but I was hoping to get some info on this one line they posted.

"The low-carb group also showed greater increases in their levels of free fatty acids, which are released into the blood when the body breaks down stored fat. High levels of free fatty acids make it more difficult for the liver to store glucose, which in turn ups sugar levels in the blood. Consistently high sugar levels define diabetes."

Your opinions?

lcme is offline Senior Member
    All that they showed (in this very short-term study) was that there were higher levels of free FAs.

Then they say: free FAs = difficult to store glucose as liver glycogen = increase blood sugar = diabetes

That is a HUGE conceptual leap. Did they show that blood sugar was increased in the low carb population? No.
    I would venture a guess that the blood glucose in the low carb population was actually lower, because, you know, they are low carb. *Facepalm*

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    That is a HUGE conceptual leap. Did they show that blood sugar was increased in the low carb population? No.
    I would venture a guess that the blood glucose in the low carb population was actually lower, because, you know, they are low carb. *Facepalm*
    Exactly. The lipid hypothesis bias showed itself strongly in the researchers as it generally does. Without looking at the quality of the evidence on which they were basing their assumptions, they (erroneously) accepted it as if it were factually correct. Over and over again, Hyperlipid (petro) and Cooling Inflammation (Art Ayers) have picked apart studies that 'seem' to support the lipid hypothesis and over and over again, saturated fat is likely an "innocent bystander". The nod goes to Emily Deans (evolutionarypsychiatry) for the term 'innocent bystander' in this context.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    If free fatty acids are released when the body breaks down stored fat could this also mean that the low-carb group is burning fat with the other group losing muscle mass along with fat? And exactly as lcme says: they didn't actually show that blood sugar was increased. It's irresponsible to report this when the study clearly didn't look at it. It'd have been very easy to determine whether their levels were higher but apparently they wanted to hypothesize rather than verify.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I agree it is about the stored fat being broken down. Once the low carb people are finished burning the stored fat their levels would be even better. It actually proves that the diet is working, not the other way around.

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    I mean they're essentially saying it's unsafe to lose fat since you'll have those evil little free fatty acids floating around.