Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mehdi banned me from Stronglifts forum! page 4

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KestrelSF View Post
    It is my original creation. I better copywrite it now! Please sign this NDA before using it!
    Love that! I'll be using that in the future (dutifully reporting from whence it came!)

Yeah... the calories in/calories out talks make me want to SCREAM. Then why do some people lose weight when they RAISE their calories in? Hmmm?

People's desire to simplify things down and ignore the nuances drives me nuts...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Oh man, at a family function a month ago this skinny third cousin or something I'd never met before was talking about overweight people, and literally said "it's not rocket science, it's calories in, calories out!!"

It was one of those things where I knew I wouldn't be able to mask my hatred of her, so I got up and went to another room, after a shared eye roll with my wife. Some broads just need a good strong kick in the box.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    Some broads just need a good strong kick in the box.
    HAHA. I see I'll be quoting you as well.

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    This thread is producing some serious dialog that I will be repeating. Spectacular. Medhi sounds like a cockbag.

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post

Yeah... the calories in/calories out talks make me want to SCREAM.

Have you read good calories bad calories? Taubes talks about how one side of the equation affects the others. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, has ever impeached the idea the calories in has to be less than calories out to lose weight.

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggles View Post
    This thread is producing some serious dialog that I will be repeating. Spectacular. Medhi sounds like a cockbag.
    With the advent of the internets, once you've stated something it's very hard to take it back. I think, therefore, that folks should be VERY careful about what they get all emphatic about. For instance, Prof. Cordain has stated that there is a lot of stuff he would have written differently in his original book, or was forced to say to get published. It's perfectly sensible for folks to say that a lot of this paleo stuff hasn't really been proven yet ... there really isn't the funding out there now to do the type of research you'd need to start saying more definitively that what we hypothesize holds up under rigorous testing. That being said, Medhi is really painting himself into a corner with his objection to paleo so vehemently and doesn't help that he doesn't really make a case but rather just posts links to some really juvenile websites which don't really offer any sort of intelligent rebuttal.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    My main frustration was because I was planning to post "check my squat form" vids up there for people to critique. Maybe I'll do that here. Plus, the OP on that thread by the end is like "this is all so confusing! I guess I'll just eat whatever I feel like then."

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Not sure where I read it, but I think it might have been here: Discussing on the Internet is like pissing in a sea of piss.

That being said. I am disappointed over the stance Mehdi takes on paleo. How can it be a fad diet? It was the way we ate, for hundred of thousands of years.

Oh, well.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sungrazer View Post
    Not sure where I read it, but I think it might have been here: Discussing on the Internet is like pissing in a sea of piss.

That being said. I am disappointed over the stance Mehdi takes on paleo. How can it be a fad diet? It was the way we ate, for hundred of thousands of years.

Oh, well.
    The problem is that only certain aspects of how modern day paleo eaters are trying to eat is really how we ate for hundreds of thousands of years. I feel a falling out of love with Paleo movement arising as more people realize that no, adding tons of butter to whatever recipe isn't a true ancestral diet. The rise of "I did paleo/primal, and now I pretty much eat the same way but don't call it that" is around the corner I feel. Personally, I'll always be extremely grateful for this "movement" if you will because it's gone beyond just dietary guidelines and made more open-minded, brave, and wiling to think outside of what's immediately placed in front of me. If it wasn't for MDA I would be doing the same stupid shit I was doing and going nowhere.

It sounds like a fad diet when people present it as "hey man check out this grok thing" and take that route, even when I FIRST started I would just say something like "I try to stay away from processed foods, I cook all my meals and I try not to eat things that don't grow from the ground or don't have a face. If it needs to be messed with before I can eat it maybe I wasn't supposed to eat it in the first place."

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonph View Post
    Have you read good calories bad calories? Taubes talks about how one side of the equation affects the others. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, has ever impeached the idea the calories in has to be less than calories out to lose weight.
    I don't necessarily disagree that you need a caloric deficit to lose weight, but it's a question of whether it's necessary and/or sufficient. I think it's indisputable that it may be necessary, but it is not sufficient. There are other factors that go into it, most of which aren't understood. Things aren't as simple as Taubes puts it, since there are many groups that eat high carb diets without gaining weight. (note, not refined carbs, I'm talking about the groups that eat sweet potatoes all the time.)

Steven Guyanot at wholehealthsource.blogspot.com has a nice takedown of the whole issue in his post on the twinkie diet.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast