Thread: Dry Skin, Help! page

Jenn is offline Senior Member

Dry Skin, Help!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I recently moved to a dry climate and my skin is terribly dry. I use coconut oil after I shower but after a couple of hours my skin is extremely dry and itchy again. Any suggestions for other lotions?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    btdt

1) get a filter that filters chlorine out of your shower/tub water.
    2) no foaming cleansers on the bod - wash hair out of the tub/shower but leaning over the edge of the tub to keep foaming substances off your body skin.
    3) take a shower/bath daily...but not too hot - preferably just *barely* warm enough to keep you from chilling. Hot hot water is very drying. A good long exposure to more 'tepid' water will soak in, then you'll 'seal' it in with one of the following lotions:
    3) use cerave cleanser or avene trixera cleanser (see my eczema document in my google docs link below). I don't like cerave cream as much b/c of the container. for my face I use olay definity illuminating cream cleanser or Vichy Purete Thermale Cleansing Milk for Dry Skin.
    4) follow with cerave lotion or trixera lotion (links in my eczema doc) to me, coconut oil is drying. For my face in very dry weather I like atopalm MLE facial cream and/or eucerin co q sensitive skin anti wrinkle cream (not lotion).
    5) use a humidifier in every room of your house in which you spend significant time. I prefer the warm mist (ie no 'filter') humidifiers. I have a Vick's Warm Mist Humidifier that I got for $30 at Target. Actually I think I have four of them.

For the rest of the links, see my eczema document, linked in my 'google doc' in the signature line.
    Last edited by cillakat; 11-09-2010 at 10:38 AM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I often use jojoba oil in the dry season. It very closely resembles your skins natural oils. I also second the advice to avoid the foaming cleansers on your skin. Since switching from soap to simply exfoliating with warm water, I have seen a lot of improvement in my skin dryness.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I second taking showers/bathing with cooler water. Hot water will dry your skin out. And moisturize from the inside out; make sure you fat intake isn't too low. If you're eating primally, this is almost certainly not a conern though.

amandatea is offline Member
    I don't know if this helps at all but i found that when i started eating higher amounts of fat, my skin started to get a lot nicer. Soft, nicer colour, way less blemishes. I usually finish showers with almost ice cold water too... I also sometimes use African Black Soap and when i use that, my skin feels awesome.

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    2) no foaming cleansers on the bod - wash hair out of the tub/shower but leaning over the edge of the tub to keep foaming substances off your body skin.
    Can I ask how you do this? Since I'm not giving up shampoo for the time being (I might try to go without again eventually) I was thinking this was a good idea... but my hair is really long... like, it reaches the top of my butt when it's wet.
    Do you kneel and flip your head upside down (sounds tangle-y...)?

Thanks!

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    This is what I usehttp://www.drorganic.co.uk/vitamin-e-products.asp (the vitamin E oil helps my eczema and psoriasis a real treat) but that's not much use to an American (unless you can get similar over there).
    La tristesse durera toujours...

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoŽ View Post
    Can I ask how you do this? Since I'm not giving up shampoo for the time being (I might try to go without again eventually) I was thinking this was a good idea... but my hair is really long... like, it reaches the top of my butt when it's wet.
    Do you kneel and flip your head upside down (sounds tangle-y...)?

Thanks!
    My hair is really long too - probably 3-4" shy of my waist. I stand outside the tub and bend forward- head over the tub - to wash my hair with the hand held shower, then wrap it up in a towel to soak up some water, then I remove the towel and clip it pu Once my hair is washed, I clip it up and hop in the shower or bath.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    You could try a hyaluronic acid serum under your moisturiser of choice; that stuff keeps skin seriously moisturised. I use Retin-A daily which causes awfully dry skin, and a pure hyaluronic acid serum magically takes all of the flakes away and leave my skin smooth as a baby's bum Plumps it up nicely, too!