Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want a bike. page

Patro is offline Junior Member

I want a bike.

Primal Fuel
    Im looking to buy a bike for fitness and transportation purposes. I want to ride it to work/stores and to the gym and the occcasional ride for fun. I have not been on a bike since i was like 12. 22 now. I weigh 180 and im 6'0. I live in arizona there are some dirt roads but most of it is paved. What kind of brands should i look at? What kind type of bike?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Patro,
    if you are looking to use a bike a lot, then you owe it to yourself to head to a bike shop and get some advice from them. there are tons of brands that create quality bikes for decent money...without you having to pay for the big names like cannondale, gary fisher, etc., but the bike store owners will know best. also, you are definitely going to want to be sized for a bike so it is a good fit.
    i'm guessing that you are probably going after some kind of crossover bike--not a road bike or a mountain bike, but more of a cross between them or a cruiser. if there is more than one bike shop in your area, check out as many as you can. you want to weigh your options, and make sure that you're not getting screwed.
    it might seem like a little bit of a process, but buying and using a bike can be really rewarding

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    +1.
    You will PROBABLY want a hybrid. But definitely get fitted, and definitely try lots of bikes before you buy. And don't get talked into anything!!! Racers think road bikes are the only way, MTBers think mountain bikes are it, etc etc. Make sure the bike you get is the bike you LOOOOOOOOVE.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    hybrids are nice and probably the way to go.
    +1 to going to a bike shop and getting fitted.

I trashed my hybrid by riding to hard on it for 2 years. Now I have a mnt bike and road bike.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Look into a touring bike. Lots of gears and pretty rugged. If I were in the market, I would definitely look at the Jamis Auroura Elite (disc brake model). you can set it up for commuting with fenders and a rack quite easily. I would also look at a Cyclocross bike. You can put some nice knobby tires on a CZX bike due to greater clearence than normal road bikes. Don't get a race bike, the geometry will most likely not be something you will like.

runnerbean is offline Member
    I'd also suggest checking out craigslist and so forth. You can often get really great deals on older bikes that still work just fine. Otherwise, for sure go to a bike store not a big box place. You don't necessarily need something crazy expensive but most real low end bikes are just super frustrating to deal with.
    For transportation, I'd suggest that you get something that you can mount a rack on.
    I have an older 10 speed that I use around town. Touring and cross bikes are also great choices. Cruisers are IMHO very cool but they are slower and generally really heavy - not too great in a hilly area. Hybrids vary a lot.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Dude, get a BMX. I'm thinking of getting one next summer to relive my youth. You know you want to.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I agree with a lot of the points mentioned. Go to a bike shop and get fitted for sure, then see if you can find what you are looking for on craigslist. Remember if you purchase the bike from the shop, they often in clude yearly tune-ups for free which might be worth it if you will be riding a lot.

I currently own a Giant and although I like it I htink that the frame is a bit too small for me. I have to have the seat at the highest setting to ride it. My husband owns a Trek, and I have owned a Trek in the past. Next time I get a new bike I will most likely go back to Trek.

Patro is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all. I will go get fitted at a bike shop.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    Dude, get a BMX. I'm thinking of getting one next summer to relive my youth. You know you want to.
    +1. I'm in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast