Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flu shot in the first trimester? page

primalawyer is offline Junior Member

Flu shot in the first trimester?

Hi all,

I just found out last week that I'm pregnant (about 4 weeks along) and during my first pregnancy consultation yesterday my OBGYN strongly recommended I get a flu vaccine as soon as possible. I am very much against getting a flu shot in general, let alone while in my first trimester of pregnancy. I don't even think I've ever had the flu. However, I want to do what is best for the little one. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    When I was pregnant w/both kids I got the flu vaccine. Last year I stood in line for 5hrs to get the H1N1 vaccine as I was traveling to mexico 4wks later. I've had the flu while pregnant and it wasn't fun - my MW almost put me in the hospital... as I couldnt get out of bed for 1 week. B/c your immune system is lowered - to allow you to carry the baby - it doesn't work as well, to fight infection, which is one reason why drs recommend the vaccine. Some people are anti vaccine, some people aren't. They do have preservative free vaccines - so you can always ask for that (most peditratians carry it, and will off it if asked) If you're unsure - explain this to your concerns to your dr and ask him to explain the pros/cons to getting the vaccine. a good OB will listen...to your concerns and respect your decision... if he/she doesn't find a different OB....

K.ROB is offline Senior Member
    DON'T DO IT!

I am looking for a specific article but this can get you started.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-pregnant.aspx

If you eat Paleo/Primally and get enough rest. Your body is actually stronger to avoid the flu. Do you really want to put these crazy untested chemicals in your growing baby? I don't think the shot is necessary for anyone unless you have an autoimmune disease or something.

TinaC is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to say Congratulations!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I agree not to do it. DO make sure you are getting sufficient Vitamin D. I have been taking 8,000 IUs for over a year and never got sick once!

Fern is offline Senior Member
    I agree that you should not get the shot. I am at work so no time to search but if you go to naturalnews.com and search for flu shot you will have many reasons not to do it.

I want to add that I LOVE Mike Adams, but I do not at all agree with him on dietary choices. He eats whole grains and beans and seems to lean towards a vegan diet.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    If you're going to do it, why not wait until the 2nd trimester? It's not even peak flu season yet.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely do not get it.

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    I've never heard of getting flu vaccine during pregnancy! but then your health system will be different to ours. Personally I wouldn't do it as I am anti vaccine but at the end of the day it's your body and baby. Congratulations!

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As a military member i am required to get the flu shot every year. They will not give it to pregnant members until after 14 weeks. If you do decide to get it you would probably want to wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast