Thread: Are PLYOMETRICS a good sub for a SPRINT? page

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member

Are PLYOMETRICS a good sub for a SPRINT?

Primal Fuel
    Just wondering...as I have P90X - Now I can only last about 20-30min doing P90X Plyos... its too draining... so I don't do it very often - about 1x/month. Would it be a good sub for Sprints? Especially during winter - when the weather isn't cooperating (ie ice storms) It doesn't snow enough here in NoVA to justify buying snow shoes for trekking about... I usually sub a slow 45min run for my plyo session... thoughts?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    My opinion is that nothing can sub a good straight up sprint session. That being said, I've been "subbing" sprints with Muay Thai training, but have meant to go hill sprinting and just never do it. I'm a disgrace!

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Sprints are an interval approach, p90x plyo is more of a sustained cardio effort, so I don't think there is a possible substitution there. However, if you were to do some of the plyo moves at very high intensity, but then take a bit longer recovery in between each set, you will be getting more of the type of benefits that the sprints offer. Speed jump roping can be a good interval based workout also, although you really can't get that balls to the wall exertion that sprinting offers.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

croí is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the same boat as Shijin. Winter is approaching, and it's hard to go sprinting in the neighborhood at (now 25 degree) weather in the morning. It will soon be colder than that, and I'm in need of suggestions to replace the sprinting outdoors for the winter season.

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    It has been a few months so I don't remember all of PlyoX. I definitely think there are better options for "sprint" workouts on DVD. I can't remember PlyoX being really interval oriented. If you can get your hands on them, the HiiT workouts from Chalene Johnson's Turbo Fire are GREAT! They would make a good substitute for sprints.

I am with you on finding a sprint substitute for winter. I have a treadmill, but unfortunately, it stutters! When sprinting, a stutter/stall in the belt is NOT a good thing!

Carrie

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    I've heard good things about turbo fire... might look into it... I love the weight workouts for P90X and I've figure out how to ffwd through the work out buy maxing out my reps w/heavier weights and gotten all but the legs/back down to under 40mins (w/up &cool down included!)

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    no, and plyometrics ARE NOT cardio. they're supposed to make your muscles more explosive, increase your potential for power. they may wind you, but that's not what they're for.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    In terms of a sprint substitute during Winter, my mind just flashed to an image of mall-sprinting. You know how the mall walkers go there before the shops open and walk around for exercise? Well, Primals could go mall-sprinting. There's a good chance your speed would increase too if you attract the attention of mall security....
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another option is what Dragonfly is doing. She started a thread on subbing dancing for her sprints. She dances all out during fast songs and then slows it up for the slower songs.

Another option is to get a "bootcamp" style workout. However, most of them also alternate weight work in the intervals. I don't know if you have any exercise equipment, but if you have an aerobic step, you could also get some interval step DVDs. Cathe Friedrich has GREAT HiiT workouts utilizing the step and interval workouts (IMax, IMax 2, and IMax 3).

Carrie