Page 1 of 194 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page

skink531 is online now Senior Member

Unhappy Skink's Primal Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK, so I finally decided to start keeping a journal here. I've always been more of a recluse, but trying to change that.

A little history: I came to MDA back in Feb. I had reaaly let myself go and had ballooned up to about 250 lbs. Needless to say I was pretty miserable. As I was looking to make a change I started looking into kettlebells, still had no clue as far as diet goes. The kettlebells led to look into crossfit. It was never something I could afford, but I ripped of as much of the free stuff from there site as I could. Thr local affliate talked a lot about paleo and had links to MDA and Cordain's site. I started with Cordain since I was still scared of the fat. But the more I got into it the more I read. The more I read the more I started to lean more towards Mark and PB. So now here it is 8 months later and I'm now down to 185 lbs and have more energy than I've had for a very long time.

I try to stick with Mark's laws as best as I can. My biggest areas that I fall short are the sleep and stress. I have a pretty stressful job, along with the ussual wife, kids, mortgage, and money type stuff. I work the night shift so sleep patterns are all over the place. My kids are still little and don't fully understand the need for them to be quiet while dad sleeps during the day.

Breakfast: 6 strips of bacon, 5 eggs and about 3/4 cup diced onions all fried up in the bacon grease. 2 1/2 cups of coffee with heavy cream.

Dinner: hamburger patties with onion slices, a kosher pickle, and dijon mustard.

Work-out: I had been sick for the last week and hadn't been able to do anything so I was looking forward to it today. But once I got started I was hurting.

Kettlebell set 1: first right side then repeat on left
    10 swings
    10 snatches
    10 high pulls
    10 cleans
    10 clean and press

Set 2: same as above but dropped down to 5. Not feeling good.

Dumbell rows. 3 sets of 10

Pushups: 3 sets. 20-15-10

Sandbag cleans. 1 set of 8

Sandbag front squates: 3 sets of 10

Very abbreviated workout. I guess that flu bug took more out of me than I thought. I'll try again come Wednesday and hope it works out better.

Well there you have it. My 1st entry. I hope this will keep me honest and give me something to look at for answer when I hit another plateau. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Went to sleep relatively early last night, but not a comfortable sleep. Woke up still tired and kind of stiff. My shitty matress can't be helping things. It has to be about 13 years old now. Would love to get a new one to can't afford it. I checked the prices on new matresses and its f***ing rediculous. What do they expect me to take out a second mortgage or something? Being broke sucks.

Breakfast today: 7 strips of bacon and 5 eggs scrambled with some diced onions. 1 cup of coffee with heavy cream so far, but it's early and I foresee many more to come.

3 VERY LARGE cups of coffee today and I still feel like I could use a nap. I REALLY need to start sleeping better.

I just noticed there is a big frowny face thing in the title of my journal. What the hell is that all about, did I put that there? If I did I don't know how. I'm not sad, just tired. In a pretty good mood actually.

Dinner tonight: about a 18 oz sirloin. Came out a little done. More medium rare than rare, delicious none the less. Big mixed geen salad with about half a cucumber chopped up, with balsamic and EVOO. Very good dinner.

Not a lot of activity today. Just cleaned up in the house and did some laundry. Played withe the kids in the backyard for about an hour or so and that was about it.

Tommorow will be my last day off so I hope I get a better night sleep tonight(damn old matress).

Raphaella is offline Senior Member
    A silly suggestion I'm sure but if you and your wife don't mind in sleeping in separate beds(and you probably don't since you sleep during the day) you could get a blow-up mattress. I slept on one when I got my place until my real mattress came. Kept it the closet and forgot about it till recently. Sleeping on it again led to me getting rid of my real mattress! I blow it up to where it's very firm and it's so comfortable, I think I got it at Target for *maybe* forty bucks?

Thanks for the suggestion. We actually have one of those blow-up matresses stuffed away in the closet for when the in-laws visit. It might be worth a try on the days I work. On my days of I try my best to live like a "normal" person. Needless to say "normal" is not really my strong suit.

christi@japan is offline Junior Member
    Another bed option is to go to OVERSTOCK.com and look at temperpedic toppers. We got a 4 inch one on sale last year for 100 dollars on a king. It is AMAZING!!! WE will never go without again.
    Mom of 4 awesome kids, wife to one great husband; all on our way to living PRIMAL.My Mantra: I am not a Number:weight, clothing size,etc. I am in it for the HEALTH!

Better night sleep last night. Was able to find a comfortable spot and tried not to move. Much more refreshed today. I'm looking forward to working out this afternoon, haven't had a good one in a while now. Still a little bit of this nagging cough, but over all I feel pretty good.

Breakfast this morning: Spammers suck fucking cock 6 strips of bacon and 5 eggs scambled with some diced onions, all cooked up in bacon grease. The scambled eggs work just like a sponge for all that grease. 2 cups of coffee with heavy cream. Probably going to have another cup, not because I need it just because it tastes good.
    Last edited by skink531; 04-02-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Work-out went much better today. Still maybe not 100% but still pretty good. The stupid cough didn't really bother me

So here it is

Kettlebell snatches x200. (100 left 100 right)
    Done in sets of 20(10 left 10 right per set)

Push-ups 3 sets: 20-15-10

Sandbag clean and drag(yes I made that up)
    3 sets.
    Set=5 cleans then drag 15 yards running backwards then 5 more cleans

Medicine ball digs. 2 sets of ten each side.

Sandbag front squats
    3 sets of 10

It went pretty good. I did notice my hands were getting sore at the end of the kettlebell stuff. I guess the time off softened them or something. Or maybe I'm just being a whinny little b***h.

Food wise I did eat a snack today which is rare for me. I had a banana which is ok, not like I ate 30 of them or anything. Couldn't resist. They were bright yellow and just starting to get the little brown speckles all over. That is when they are my favorite. It was as sweet as a candy bar.

Dinner: 16 oz pork steak broiled with a cajun seasoning. Big mixed green salad with some chopped cucumber and balsamic and EVOO. Tasted pretty good, just the right amount of heat.

Page 1 of 194 1231151101 ... LastLast