Page 92 of 196 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 92

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Damn, man. Those look amazing!
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    We got some news yesterday. My little one was still coughing a lot(the whole ER and being told it is croup thing). Yesterday the wife took her into the pediatrician, and the had a little different diagnosis. They said she has asthma. Now we have to spray stuff up her nose and put her on the nebulizer every morning, and if she gets worked up it's back on the nebulizer for some albuteral. My biggest struggle has been getting my wife and kids switched over to full primal. The wife wants to, but doesn't believe she has the will power to do it, the oldest is getting a little better(especially since i pack her school lunch) but still has a real sweet tooth and is a very picky eater, and the little one refuses to eat meat(or much of anything else for that matter). I read all about the people who say their asthma symptoms disappear when switching their diets. Hopefully this will help my wife really commit. She doesn't doubt the principle behind this way of eating, she just doesn't think she can resist the sugar. She will do Ok for a little while and then go on a sugar binge. She makes these fruit smoothies that she figures are healthy. I try to tell her that she needs to give them up and be real strict for a month or so just to get past the addiction part. It may suck for a little while, but then after you can add back sweet things like fruit without the consequences. It's hard to get the kids to eat this way when they see their mom eating other stuff. My oldest isn't obese, but carries a little more weight than I think she should. The little one is thin, but now has the asthma that an anti-inflammatory diet would help. This was a long rant, but I'm just feeling a little frustrated.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

canio6 Guest
    Hopefully this will be a wake up call. I'd imagine the health of your child would be more important than a sugar fix. Good luck buddy.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    good luck with all of that. my oldest child has asthma, thankfully it's allergen-induced so as long as we avoid his allergens he's ok. if i were you, i'd get a referral to an allergist for skin-prick testing. i'm still amazed that pediatricians rarely even suggest this.

Yeah, i know that easter is going to be a giant chocolate fest for them so I will start in on them after to get serious about switching over.

Oh...I want to find this pool!!! That is bad-ass.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

that would be so much fun!

I agree with Saoirse: could be anything minor you'd not even think of. I'm not saying diet shift to Primal wouldn't help, but could be something even simpler.

re: the pool: I want to go there.

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Yeah, I figured the trigger would probably be something environmental that we could try and eliminate the best we can, but some things(pollen for example) there really isn't a lot I can do unless I lock her in a room with a HEPA filter. I keep reading all these stories of people who no longer need allergy and asthma meds when they switch to a Primal lifestyle. I just don't like the idea of her needing two medications every morning forever. Not to mention, i want them all to have the other life-long health benefits I am experiencing.

oh right. my son isn't 100% primal, but he doesn't need a daily medication. he has an allergy med which he takes when we know we're going to expose him to his allergens, but otherwise it's just a rescue inhaler once in a while. HEPA air purifiers, weekly cleaning (vacuuming, wet dusting, washing bedding in HOT water, etc.) may help if she's allergic to dust mites or environmental allergens which are accumulating in the house. also, i'm thinking about saving up to get him allergy shots. an adult friend of the family has asthma but doesn't even remember how to treat it because he hadn't had a need since he started getting allergy shots as a kid.

wrt diet, at the younger ages food allergies can make a difference too. a food allergy isn't likely to cause an asthma attack directly, but it will increase the inflammation in the diet and make your kid that much more likely to reach the tipping point. and sugar makes a big difference as well wrt inflammation.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey, Dave... just had a thought. Was your daughter's issue on the same night you made those stuffed peppers? Has she had any other minor breathing issues after having eaten peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, etc? Possibly a nightshade thing, is what I'm thinking. Not entirely, but perhaps nightshades exacerbate it?

Hope she's feeling better and that a diet shift (at least a three-week trial run should be agreeable to your wife) sorts things out!