Page 50 of 193 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 50

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hmmmmm...I'll have to see why it won't let you post comments. I'm not the most tech savy guy in the world, but I'll try to figure it out.

And yep, I really don't wear shoes unless I'm in a situation where I have to(work, restaurants, etc.) I am looking to pick up a pair of vff's though. I like the leaving the cast on forever analogy, I'll have to use it next time when we talk. The way I see it, wearing shoes made use walk and run improperly, which caused us to get injuries, which caused us to get more padded and restrictive shoes, which weakened our feet even further, and the circle never ends.

I've all but commited myself to doing the Spartan race in Feb. I'm going to step up my workouts accordingly to get ready. Any advice would be appreciated. My plan is 2 strength day, 1 sprint day, and 1 distance running day per week. If I don't see good results I will switch it up, but we'll see.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Might be worth googling "training for super spartan." I know there are a few people around here who have done them, but you might find a blog or two of some who have. I hear it's a much more flat course than the sprint, so that would be good news.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Might be worth googling "training for super spartan." I know there are a few people around here who have done them, but you might find a blog or two of some who have. I hear it's a much more flat course than the sprint, so that would be good news.
    Good tip, I'll do that. Yeah, South Florida is pretty flat to begin with, so I imagine it will be flatter than yours(no ski slops down here to run up).

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Good time playing at the pool with the kids. After I took the oldest to the store to get dinner for the family. They went with hotdogs, baked beans, and chips. My wife was feeling nostalgic, and that was what her mom and dad always made when they spent the day in the pool. I went with a big ass salad and steak. For desert a got an 86% Cacao Ghiradelli bar. You know, after being used to the 90%, the 86% is like eating a Hershy bar.

Before dinner I felt like doing something physical, so I went for a mile run(even though it is really fucking hot out today). Didn't time it, but I'm sure it was not record breaking. I noticed about half way through I wanted to revert to the old way of running were I come down on the heel. I was wearing shoes, they are technically minimalist shoes, but there is some padding. I would like to get some VFF's so I can concentrate more on barefoot technique while having some protection from road debris and heat. I just don't have an extra $85 laying around at the moment. This was the first time I've done any running besides sprints in a very long time. I was just glad I did it without having to stop, to be honest. I've got a long way to go to be able to do 8 miles with 16 obstacles. Next time I will add in doing 20 push-ups and 20 squats at the .5 mile mark and again at the end. Then as I increase the distance I will do something at each .5 mile mark.

It's sad, but I have very little respect for doctors anymore. My wife just came home from having her physical. She told the doctor she wanted to get weened off of Zoloft. She has been dealing with anxiety and depression issues most of her life. The Zoloft helped for about a month, and then she developed a tolerance to it. They upped the dose. It helped for another month, and then the same thing happened. Now there is no difference than how she was pre-Zoloft. I am convinced a clean Primal lifestyle is what she needs, and she wants to try it. The doctor said OK, she can gradually reduce the dose and get off it. She then recommended going on a DIFFERENT pill!!! As if the only answer can be found in a pill! I read the side effects on that pill, and they are just plain scary. My wife explained to her she was going to start the Primal Blueprint that her husband is on. The doctor had a sarcastic laugh and said "what's that, he just eats raw meat?" She has no clue what it is or the science behind it, but she is all ready to ridicule it. And of course, she's not exactly a pillar of fitness herself. Oh, and here was an interesting bit of information. She said that it was no wonder my wife had trouble sticking to PB since Zoloft increases your cravings for sweets. I truly hate CW.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    It's sad, but I have very little respect for doctors anymore. My wife just came home from having her physical. She told the doctor she wanted to get weened off of Zoloft. She has been dealing with anxiety and depression issues most of her life. The Zoloft helped for about a month, and then she developed a tolerance to it. They upped the dose. It helped for another month, and then the same thing happened. Now there is no difference than how she was pre-Zoloft. I am convinced a clean Primal lifestyle is what she needs, and she wants to try it. The doctor said OK, she can gradually reduce the dose and get off it. She then recommended going on a DIFFERENT pill!!! As if the only answer can be found in a pill! I read the side effects on that pill, and they are just plain scary. My wife explained to her she was going to start the Primal Blueprint that her husband is on. The doctor had a sarcastic laugh and said "what's that, he just eats raw meat?" She has no clue what it is or the science behind it, but she is all ready to ridicule it. And of course, she's not exactly a pillar of fitness herself. Oh, and here was an interesting bit of information. She said that it was no wonder my wife had trouble sticking to PB since Zoloft increases your cravings for sweets. I truly hate CW.
    A doctor did this with me once and said I could ween off one pill then go to another. I was still CW then but logic took over and I told him I was going to ween myself down since he gave me the ok, but that I would not refill the other script that he was going to give to me. I think its great your wife wants get off zoloft and fully go primal. Too bad her doctor is an ijit but it isn't all that surprising anymore.
    Georgette

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    That sucks, Dave. Hopefully she'll try Primal and ignore the doctor, at least until the Primal diet has a chance to show it can help. It might not, but it should be given a chance!
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Yeah, she really want to give Primal a real shot, she's just afraid she does not have the will power to stay away from sugar. Now we find out Zoloft makes you crave it. When she gave a shot a while back she felt 100% better(even with a lot of cheating). Getting her leptin and insulin sensitivity back where they should be plays a big part in the rest of it working right. She also feels better when she keeps her O3:O6 in check with fish oil(It seems like fish oil works better than antidepressants in my opinion).

The trick is getting her to realize that it will suck in the beginning with carb withdrawals, but once you get past them it is smooth sailing. Right now she feels like they will never end and she will never make it. She WANTS to do it, so that is good.

Today's Workout:

Tabata - Burpees
    Tabata - KB Snatch
    Tabata - Sledgehammer Slams
    Tabata - KB Swings
    Tabata - Bulgarian Bag Clean and front Squat

1.5 minute rest between Tabatas

finished off with 20 Medicine Ball Digs(10 each side)

Today's Workout:

1 set each side of 5 KB Swings, 5 KB High Pulls, 5 KB Snatches, 5 KB Clean and Press, 5 Lunges.
    2 sets each side of all the same minus the lunges
    Dumbbell rows, 3 sets of 10
    Push-ups, 20-15-15
    Bulgarian Bag squats, 4 sets of 15

I had to cut out the lunges on the first group of exercises. I was feeling a lot of tightness and pain in my thigh as i went down for the lunge. The weird thing is the pain wasn't in the working side. The pain was in the leg that the knee was going to the ground. It was like it was being stretched too far. I have no idea why. i have been doing lunges for a while and never had a problem before. The fact that it feel like it's being stretched is also strange since I've always had good flexibility. I don't have any pain when doing squats, so I don't know what it could be. And I do my squats in the "Ass To Grass" style. Whatever it is, I hope it works itself out soon.

After the workout I had a banana, and about 30 minutes later I topped it off with some bacon and eggs(and of course coffee, that's just a given).

Back to work tonight, and just 1 more day after that. Then it's 4 days off. I have another sprint day and a longer run day planned for then(longer run, HA! We're talking like 2-3 miles. Baby steps...don't want to try and go balls to the wall right out the gate.) The plan is to do something like push-ups, squats, burpees, etc. at every .5 mile mark.