Page 43 of 196 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 43

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I understand what you're saying and its not too uncommon from cops to say this. My father was a cop until he got really ill and I grew up around a lot of cops. It's a very high stress job and a lot of times I remember seeing the cops we were around not know when to go from cop to regular guy mode. I practically lived at the police station from the ages of 3-6 just because my dad and one of my sisters worked in the same buidling(he became a dispatcher and she worked in the BMV until she became a dispatcher). I can definitely see where you'd want a change. Good luck and I'm sure that with whatever choice you make it will be the right choice for you and your family!
    Georgette

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about my life and how I want to live it. I have come to the very strange and surprising conclusion that maybe I don't want to stay a cop. I haven't settled on this idea, but it is a thought I have been having. Since becoming Primal I have been really thinking about what my priorities in life are. I had wanted to be in law enforcement for as far back as I can remember and have been doing it for almost 13 years now, so it had become a large part of my identity. But now it seems that what I want out of life and my priorities have changed some. I want to be able to work less and spend more time with my family. I would like less stress in my life so the time I do spend with my family is better quality. I'm not sure I can do this in my current position. When I say less stressful I don't mean not challenging. I'm not saying I want to be a lazy bum and just have someone else take care of me. I find myself enjoying work less and less. I want to find a way to combine my work and play into one. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet, or even if I will. But I want my life to work for me, if that makes any sense. But like I said, being a cop kind of becomes part of your identity, so this will be a hard decision to make.

Well, that was kind of a lot of rambling that didn't really make a lot of sense as i read it. I'll try and clarify it as it makes more sense to me.
    If you still want to be a cop look into doing it for the federal government. It helps if you were in the military but it is not a necessity for getting hired. The pay is probably less than you get now but a Dept of the Army Cop works 9 hours and goes home. The shifts are stable, the benefits are good, and generally the crime rate is very low. Also if you want to try combining work and play into one perhaps a cop with the Park Service - you get to be a cop but outside in some kick ass national park.

Of course if you don't want to be a cop at all, ignore all of the above.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'm about 24 hours into a fast and feeling pretty good. I did have a little coffee today, but that is it. I think I'll wait another hour or 2 before making dinner. Sirloin fillets seared in the skillet with sweet potato fries and a salad. I love how I can go a day or more without eating and feel just fine, I love this way of life.

As for my other thought from the other day, still no final decision. One thought I had I'll run by you all. Primal Fitness and Outdoor Supply. It would be an online store that deal with just waht it says. I have always liked the idea of combining fitness with hiking/camping stuff. I always see them as 2 seperate entities, but in my mind(especially since finding PB) they are linked. I have found some some wholesaler options that aren't bad, and would be minimal on the start up funds. I would also look into any grants out there for starting up a business. This isn't something I would want to rush into. I will take the time to educate myself before starting anything. Just thoughts at this point.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome, man! Great job on the fast. Was it impromptu?

Primal fitness + outdoor supply sounds like a cool combo. What kinds of ways would you mix Primal with outdoor equipment? Would you stay in the same area you're in?
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Dave... I'm sorry I'm a little late in the game. But I just popped back on to MDA today to update my journal and I checked out the usual suspects journals as well (i.e. you). Sorry to hear about your buddy. Man, that sucks. Cops lives can be truly be hell sometimes. As I'm sure you already know full well. And its really a shame that two of the most important professions in our worlds, Police Officer & Teacher, are woefully underpaid in relative terms. These professions should be some of the most HIGHLY paid professions in my opinion...in my world. And I can see clearly why you would want to leave the police force and do something else after 13 years.

As for the new idea...it sounds good but you need to find something to distinguish yourself from all the other hiking & outdoor supplies that are out there. It would seem to me, at least here, there is always a store trying to capitalize on that "fringe" of normal society that is Primal. You need to make "Dave's Primaland" the ONLY place to find Primal!!!! At least in the South Florida area. And at least until you grow it big enough that you can franchise them. Also, I'm assuming since you are stocking the items....you are going to be the instructor on their use. You know, for those that are less Primally aware??? That right there puts you in it for the rest of your involvement (i.e.combine your work with play).

Other than that man....DO IT! Do your research before getting your feet wet. But its great to have a dream and a goal. We survive because we have goals and dreams. Its what makes us different from all of the other animals in this world. And there is NO better feeling in the world than the success of obtaining a goal. None.

Good luck Dave and please post more about this....
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    I just wany everyone to know that I AM A WINNER! Yes me. I won something. The unluckiest mother fucker in the history of unlucky mother fuckers has finnaly won something. If you haven't read Mark's WOW post today, I am the winner from last weeks post your workout contest and won a Grok T-shirt. It's a little strange that something so small makes me so happy, but it does. I've been feeling like I need a change in my luck and maybe this is a sign of things to come.

@Patrick, yes the fast was pretty impromptu. When I woke up I really wasn't hungry so I didn't eat, then as the day went on a figures I might as well wait for dinner. I fast often, but it is never something planned and formated. I have nothing against the leangains approach, but it is too regimented for me. I'm sure it is very effective, but not for me. I just let them happen as they happen, and maybe I'll workout fasted or maybe I won't. I don't worry too much about it.

@Nacho, @Patrick, I still have no idea how I would make the business idea work. Its still in the "random thought that popped in my head" phase. It would be a ways out and a lot of research before I came to a decision. I'm also thinking about trying to get into the training unit at work. I was a firearms and use of force instructor at my old department and that would be something I would be interested in also, as well as the fitness side of training. All I know is I am looking for some kind change in direction. We'll see where it takes me

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Well, Skink, take some time then and think about what it is you want to do. I know how you feel. I get in moods at certain times where I get philosophical about my life and where I am at and where I want to be etc etc. The key is that you find happiness in what you are doing. I don't care what it is. And, honestly, money isn't the most important thing. If you don't like what you are doing....no amount of money can make you happy doing it.Conversely, if you find what you like doing...do it. Screw money. Be happy. We only get 1 ride on the merry go round...and even with Primal...its a short ride!

Good Luck, man. Let us know what you decide...
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    I just wany everyone to know that I AM A WINNER! Yes me. I won something. The unluckiest mother fucker in the history of unlucky mother fuckers has finnaly won something. If you haven't read Mark's WOW post today, I am the winner from last weeks post your workout contest and won a Grok T-shirt. It's a little strange that something so small makes me so happy, but it does. I've been feeling like I need a change in my luck and maybe this is a sign of things to come.
    Sweet! Huge congrats, man! I've considered buying one of the Primal shirts. Think I will when I can afford it. Ditto on the MovNat shorts.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Sweet! Huge congrats, man! I've considered buying one of the Primal shirts. Think I will when I can afford it. Ditto on the MovNat shorts.
    ^This. Grats man. Go buy a lotto ticket before the luck runs out!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Congrats on winning the shirt Dave! It's always great to see something that we love get recognized. Huge kudos to you! I need to check out your WOW now.
    Georgette