Page 20 of 196 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 1958

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 20

  1. #191
    geostump's Avatar
    geostump is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio, its not the heart of it all
    Posts
    10,001
    Primal Fuel
    I think that if there are physical fitness standards, it would be better for the kids ego to test them individually, not as a group. Too much bullying can and will happen. Then you just say fuck it all.
    Georgette

  2. #192
    skink531's Avatar
    skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by nachobrawler View Post
    I personally think the tests are useful. But only if the information gained from them is used properly.
    Properly being the key word. A properly designed test, used properly, and implemented by intelligent people, could be a useful tool. But that isn't normally the case. We have poorly designed tests, measuring the wrong things, administered by bureaucrats. We are becoming the fattest nation(and I remind myself that until recently I was part of the problem) and our kids are 1000 times worse off than when we were kids. I'm disgusted when I look at my daughters school. PE is only once a week!!! Recess is too short, and they don't always go outside!!! Any changes to our kids activity level WE have to be in charge of(as it should be). What need to do is teach our kids to PLAY again. I will not by my kids any kind of video game, they will go outside and play. And it's not just kids, adults are doing it too. This last Thanksgiving and Christmas is when I really noticed it. My family has always had a tradition of PLAYING football on both holidays. There has been a game of touch football as far back as I can remember. Then I noticed this year all of the younger group of adults stayed in one room playing X-box and that is where they stayed. And the older group joined them. Games have become something you do with a controller in your hand, not a ball.

  3. #193
    naiadknight's Avatar
    naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Odessa/ Midland, TX
    Posts
    12,036
    It wasn't for lack of trying or activity. I was playing outside or with my legos/ siblings except to eat, sleep, school, and bathroom. It was simply because they held the tiniest person in the school (which I was, aside from the Little Person guy in 8th grade) to the same standards as they held the largest kid in the school with no adaptation for sheer physical incapability. I understand why they did it (standardization, yadayadayada), and I did what I could. It just irked me that I failed a test simply due to my size. I'd complete the test, I'd just pass out after I dropped the weight from sheer overexertion and be failed for passing out. I realize that's what the armed forces do, I'm fine by the fact that we were all held to the same standard (to a certain extent, a 70 lb kid should not be expected to carry 30 lb in a fireman carry for a quarter mile). I'm not fine with being failed because my body simply couldn't handle it (i.e. passing out.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

  4. #194
    skink531's Avatar
    skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    It wasn't for lack of trying or activity. I was playing outside or with my legos/ siblings except to eat, sleep, school, and bathroom. It was simply because they held the tiniest person in the school (which I was, aside from the Little Person guy in 8th grade) to the same standards as they held the largest kid in the school with no adaptation for sheer physical incapability. I understand why they did it (standardization, yadayadayada), and I did what I could. It just irked me that I failed a test simply due to my size. I'd complete the test, I'd just pass out after I dropped the weight from sheer overexertion and be failed for passing out. I realize that's what the armed forces do, I'm fine by the fact that we were all held to the same standard (to a certain extent, a 70 lb kid should not be expected to carry 30 lb in a fireman carry for a quarter mile). I'm not fine with being failed because my body simply couldn't handle it (i.e. passing out.)
    Exactly. A well planned test would have taken this into account and been made to fit ALL the students. I'm not saying tests can't be done right and are never useful, but the rarely are because of who we chose to make them.

  5. #195
    naiadknight's Avatar
    naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Odessa/ Midland, TX
    Posts
    12,036
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    Exactly. A well planned test would have taken this into account and been made to fit ALL the students. I'm not saying tests can't be done right and are never useful, but the rarely are because of who we chose to make them.
    From what I later found out, it did, but no one ever actually followed those direction because there were so many kids they were testing (another rant I won't go into...)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

  6. #196
    skink531's Avatar
    skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    From what I later found out, it did, but no one ever actually followed those direction because there were so many kids they were testing (another rant I won't go into...)
    That was a teacher that had no business teaching. Like I said before, the test must be implemented by intelligent people. You can have a great plan, but if the idiots don't follow it you're screwed.

  7. #197
    naiadknight's Avatar
    naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Odessa/ Midland, TX
    Posts
    12,036
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    That was a teacher that had no business teaching. Like I said before, the test must be implemented by intelligent people. You can have a great plan, but if the idiots don't follow it you're screwed.
    That's true in all of life though. One asshole can fuck up the most perfect of plans.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

  8. #198
    skink531's Avatar
    skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,838
    I was just thinking, I'm 38 years old and I still have not given up on the thought that I may one day acquire super powers. Thats not abnormal, is it? Am I the odd man out here?

  9. #199
    naiadknight's Avatar
    naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Odessa/ Midland, TX
    Posts
    12,036
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    I was just thinking, I'm 38 years old and I still have not given up on the thought that I may one day acquire super powers. Thats not abnormal, is it? Am I the odd man out here?
    "Acquire super powers?" I'm firmly convinced that I have them, I just haven't discovered them yet.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

  10. #200
    Patrick's Avatar
    Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,127
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    I was just thinking, I'm 38 years old and I still have not given up on the thought that I may one day acquire super powers. Thats not abnormal, is it? Am I the odd man out here?
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    "Acquire super powers?" I'm firmly convinced that I have them, I just haven't discovered them yet.
    Like "Misfits"! Except we're not juvenile delinquents in the UK.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

    I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •