Page 182 of 196 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 1958

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 182

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Purple piss...wow....that would be kind of fucked up, but cool looking at the same time. I would imagine there had be something else going on and the creatine was just a trigger. I'm only taking 10 grams at a time, twice a day. I never did buy into the loading crap. They have shown that the levels 30 days out are the same if you loaded or not. I think that it was a ploy on the manufacturers part to sell more.

I'm fine now. Its a one day thing. Just need to buy quality next time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Finally feeling over my food hangover from the ungodly amount of Valentin's Day candy I have eaten. Today I took a long walk with the dog in the snow. Yes, it is snowing again. I think we will have about 3 or so inches so far. I am fasting today up until dinner. I need to get back on track. The "cheats" have been becoming way too frequent.

I have wonder lately as to why I haven't been doing as well now as I was while living in Florida. I've been think about what was different. Stress. Our living conditions aren't what we would like them to be. The work situation is better, but not perfect. I definitely don't see as much sun as before. My sleep had been sucking, but is getting a lot better lately. Here is something I have been thinking a lot about in particular. I have been reading about the hole earthing/grounding stuff. In Florida I spent a large part of the day outside. Definitely getting lots of sun, but I was also barefoot the entire time. I almost never wore shoes in Florida, unless I was going somewhere. Here i wear them all the time. Even if they are a minimalist shoe, they are still shoes. I have not had any real contact with the ground in a long time.

Here is what I am trying. For sleep, I have already been making sure I get 8-9 hours a night. For stress, I'm going to start really trying to start meditation. I tried, but have been seriously neglecting it. I bought a book on it , and I convinced my wife to do it also. For sun I will be making sure I take my D. I also bought my wife a light box(but that is more for the circadian rhythm issues). An lastly, I will try to be barefoot again when the weather changes. Until then I am going to check out one of those grounding mats. It will be an interesting experiment.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    That seems like a really good plan. Sorry things are not ideal in your current situation.

I am really beginning to go a little batty with this winter. I am definitely going to be barefoot a lot this summer.

There really is something to the sun and outdoor life in Florida. When we visit my inlaws in Sarasota, I am always amazed at how my mood improves.

How is the RS supplementation going for you?
    I am taking 2 tbsp without gas, so I may move up to 3 tbsp. I am also following the Perfect Health Diet which has a lot of potential RS in the starchy foods.
    My dreams have all been scary. Not fair.

Thanks, P. It's not that things suck so bad right now, just not at our final destination yet. It's just the stress of getting their.

The RS is going good for me. I do 4 Tbsp a day - 2 morning, 2 night. I finally broke down and got some measuring spoons and figured out what a Tbsp looks like. When I had the gas problem I was doing closer to 4-5 in the morning and 4-5 at night. I think PHD is good way to go. I see it as perfectly in line with paleo/primal. I'm still tinkering with how with the amount and timing of carbs to find a real sweet spot for myself. the winter and all the trips out of town have screwed my routine so much that I'm all out of whack, so it's been hard to judge lately.

Don;t think of the dreams as scary. Think of them as an adventure.

Today's workout:

AMRAP 10 minutes
    1 chin-up, 2 push-ups, 3 squats

I was feeling sluggish when I got home, but a did a long warm up with some good stretching and felt better. I was actually feeling proud of myself for pushing hard.

Didn't want to go in to the gym today. Hate to say it, but the place kind of depresses me. It is a shitty gym, full of annoying people. I was hating it so much that I even looked up the nearest Crossfit gym. It's not that I don't like Crossfit. I just don't like bad crossfit. There are just some things I take issue with. Unfortunately, when I checked out the videos the one near me put online I saw things I don't like. I saw lots of sacrificing form for a few seconds faster time in a WOD. Lots of bad deadlifts and squats. Also, I just don't see the purpose of kipping. And maybe I'm a kettlebell purist, but I am not a fan of swings over the head. i think the crossfit philosophy is that it is the natural continuation of the movement, and they are to taking it to it's extreme end. I disagree with this, though. In no way was the swing meant to be a shoulder exercise. It is a hip thrust movement. I also think that if a person has poor shoulder mobility(as 99.9% of people do) they could really hurt themselves. I liked the way I heard Erwan Le Corre describe it. He said that the upward swing is like a throwing something heavy without the release, and the downward part of the swing would be catching something heavy. It just seem to me that if you want to be taking the kettlebell straight above your head you should be doing a snatch instead. I hope I didn't offend any crossfitters. The reason I was looking into a gym was to find like-minded people, which I think the crossfit community is.

I'm also being more critical of my own form. I've been reading up on some of Mark Rippetoe's stuff and see holes in my squat. Some are subtle, but seem like they make a huge difference. When I get back in the gym, I'm going to strip off all the weight down to about 150 and fix my form. Lots of muscle memory to retrain. May not look as cool as the other guys, but I'll be kicking ass in the long run.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    Today's workout:

AMRAP 10 minutes
    1 chin-up, 2 push-ups, 3 squats

I was feeling sluggish when I got home, but a did a long warm up with some good stretching and felt better. I was actually feeling proud of myself for pushing hard.

Didn't want to go in to the gym today. Hate to say it, but the place kind of depresses me. It is a shitty gym, full of annoying people. I was hating it so much that I even looked up the nearest Crossfit gym. It's not that I don't like Crossfit. I just don't like bad crossfit. There are just some things I take issue with. Unfortunately, when I checked out the videos the one near me put online I saw things I don't like. I saw lots of sacrificing form for a few seconds faster time in a WOD. Lots of bad deadlifts and squats. Also, I just don't see the purpose of kipping. And maybe I'm a kettlebell purist, but I am not a fan of swings over the head. i think the crossfit philosophy is that it is the natural continuation of the movement, and they are to taking it to it's extreme end. I disagree with this, though. In no way was the swing meant to be a shoulder exercise. It is a hip thrust movement. I also think that if a person has poor shoulder mobility(as 99.9% of people do) they could really hurt themselves. I liked the way I heard Erwan Le Corre describe it. He said that the upward swing is like a throwing something heavy without the release, and the downward part of the swing would be catching something heavy. It just seem to me that if you want to be taking the kettlebell straight above your head you should be doing a snatch instead. I hope I didn't offend any crossfitters. The reason I was looking into a gym was to find like-minded people, which I think the crossfit community is.

I'm also being more critical of my own form. I've been reading up on some of Mark Rippetoe's stuff and see holes in my squat. Some are subtle, but seem like they make a huge difference. When I get back in the gym, I'm going to strip off all the weight down to about 150 and fix my form. Lots of muscle memory to retrain. May not look as cool as the other guys, but I'll be kicking ass in the long run.
    I just finished Mark's Starting Strength.... and have ordered his Prograing book. After the marathon in March I plan to satrt doing soe squats and deadlifts. I have endurance in my legs, I just need to add strength now....

Mmmmm. Strong Man Legs...

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Mmmmm. Strong Man Legs...
    and back... can't forget about the back..... the whole posterior chain baby!

Been a while since being on here. I haven't done shit for exercise, except for the occasional dog walk or walk at lunch time at work. I ended up getting a nasty cold and am just now starting to feel like normal. Them my youngest daughter got a stomach thing. She threw up once or twice and then it switched to diarrhea. Then my dog some how cut her leg real bad and had to get stitches. My wife was talking her for a walk when she just stopped and starting licking her paw. When my wife looked she was bleeding all over the place. Turns out she cut her carpal pad really bad. She's good about not chewing on the bandage, but isn't real happy about wearing a plastic bag on her leg when going for a walk. Then yesterday my oldest daughter comes down with a stomach virus. Poor kid had to sit on the toilet with a bucket in her lap. I think I was up with her about once an hour throughout the night. She's better today, but still not herself. She is drinking a little, but still doesn't want to eat. i was going to go out tonight and reconnect with some old college friends, but I want to be home until she's 100%. Besides, the weather is supposed to be turning ultra-shitty her soon anyway. Snow starting around midnight, and then not stopping until monday. I've heard predictions ranging from 3 inches to a foot. Hard to know who is right.

Food wise, I don't know what the paleo/primal world's view on protein shakes is, but I've started taking one for lunch. For two reasons really. First, I don't really like a big lunch. It makes me feal sluggish, especially on workout days. Second, I am not always the most social person. Sometimes i just want to be left alone and listen to music or a podcast on my phone during lunch. It seems like my co-workers take offense to this. The last few days I am doing a whey isolate shake and a larabar, and then just take a walk for my lunch break. I was also thinking of adding MCT oil to the shake. Not sure how well it will mix in, but I'll give it a try. I've also taken to eating a good sized bowl of rice with dinner every night. I feel pretty good with it. I'm still not sure if I'm considered high carb, low carb, or what. It seems like the community here doesn't agree on a single definition. i think I feel better staying lower carb during the day and then having a bunch at night. If I had to guess, I would say that I range from 75 to 200 grams a day depending on how active I've been. So what does that make me? More importantly, who gives a shit? I eat what the fuck I want.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good to hear from you.

Our family got the stomach virus as well. Not fun.

I'm one of those higher carb weirdos now too.

I miss the protein shake as an easy meal option. Whey caused a lot of joint aches for me.