Page 18 of 192 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 18

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    Geo, burpees are not difficult to do. Doing a lot of them back to back, however, is another story. There are plenty of videos floating around on how to do them. I think Mark even did one, not sure. Basically, hands on the floor, kick your feet back, pull your feet back underneath you then jump up high. It's not much different than the stuff your PE coach made you do back in junior high(so he wasn't just a sadistic psychopath, who knew).
    Actually, we never did them. It was actually voted in a school board meeting that she couldn't have as do them as she liked to leer at her female students.
    Georgette

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I never took a true gym class after middle school, believe it or not. I weaseled my way into being exempt from all but 2 semesters worth. One was a book course during 0 period that the teacher rarely showed for, the other was a self defense course. For middle school, I milked the "sports count as PE" card, played forward on the school soccer team and the closest I came to a gym class was to take the fitness tests.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I never took a true gym class after middle school, believe it or not. I weaseled my way into being exempt from all but 2 semesters worth. One was a book course during 0 period that the teacher rarely showed for, the other was a self defense course. For middle school, I milked the "sports count as PE" card, played forward on the school soccer team and the closest I came to a gym class was to take the fitness tests.
    I couldn't pass a fitness test back then to save my life. May be able to now. Kind of sad to say I'm in better physical shape even though I'm still fat at 35 versus when I was 13.
    Georgette

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Actually, we never did them. It was actually voted in a school board meeting that she couldn't have as do them as she liked to leer at her female students.
    Well........that's something you don't hear every day. OK then, I'm now thoroughly weirded out by the thought of your junior high PE teacher. I'm surprised the townspeople didn't politely, with torches and pitchforks in hand, suggest to her she leave and never return.

Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    Well........that's something you don't hear every day. OK then, I'm now thoroughly weirded out by the thought of your junior high PE teacher. I'm surprised the townspeople didn't politely, with torches and pitchforks in hand, suggest to her she leave and never return.
    Let's see, she started mid 70's and was forced to retire in 2005. Once you're tenured there really isn't much that can be done to a teacher. I never heard of a burpee until 2 yrs ago.
    Georgette

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    You have to love the burpee. So simple, yet so effective. I suggest we all celebrate future achievements by doing the dance of 100 burbees.

I could pass the flexibility ones, no issue.
    I'm a sprinter, so the running test was a bitch, but easily doable.
    The weight ones pissed me off because I was supposed to be able to lift a quarter of my body weight and carry it on my shoulders or back for a quarter mile. I weighed 70- 90 lb soaking wet at that point in my life, or 3/4 of what everyone else weighed (at best). All 6 times I took it, I asked for a proportionate weight or substitute weight test, I passed the test, and promptly passed out, which disqualified me and failed me. Then I heard from my parents about failing a test, told them the reason, they'd yell at the school for not taking my size into account and adjusting the weight, the school'd promise to do that for the next test. ALL 6 TIMES. I'd say it's a bit ridiculous to expect a girl literally half the size (weight and height) of some of her classmates to be able to carry the same load as them.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

I could pass the flexibility ones, no issue.
    I'm a sprinter, so the running test was a bitch, but easily doable.
    The weight ones pissed me off because I was supposed to be able to lift a quarter of my body weight and carry it on my shoulders or back for a quarter mile. I weighed 70- 90 lb soaking wet at that point in my life, or 3/4 of what everyone else weighed (at best). All 6 times I took it, I asked for a proportionate weight or substitute weight test, I passed the test, and promptly passed out, which disqualified me and failed me. Then I heard from my parents about failing a test, told them the reason, they'd yell at the school for not taking my size into account and adjusting the weight, the school'd promise to do that for the next test. ALL 6 TIMES. I'd say it's a bit ridiculous to expect a girl literally half the size (weight and height) of some of her classmates to be able to carry the same load as them.
    I couldn't do that even now. 1/3 or a 1/4 my weight sure but not half. I never was very flexible in the past and couldn't even attempt to climb the rope in gym class. I still have issues trusting my body. I can now lift my 62 lb daughter with ease however.
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I couldn't do that even now. 1/3 or a 1/4 my weight sure but not half. I never was very flexible in the past and couldn't even attempt to climb the rope in gym class. I still have issues trusting my body. I can now lift my 62 lb daughter with ease however.
    I trust my body to heal itself fairly quickly and not get sick very often. I'm so accident prone that trusting it not to hurt itself is a bad move. I've broken a foot walkig across a parking, I've given myself a concussion by going up for a header a little too violently. My body knows how to heal itself, but I can't trust my body to not injure itself.
    My Primal Battle Tome

I trust my body to heal itself fairly quickly and not get sick very often. I'm so accident prone that trusting it not to hurt itself is a bad move. I've broken a foot walkig across a parking, I've given myself a concussion by going up for a header a little too violently. My body knows how to heal itself, but I can't trust my body to not injure itself.
    I'm the exact opposite. Even though I can handle pain like a SOB, I'm scared to death to get hurt. I think this is why I don't do a lot of things that others do. Like pullups, even though I know I can't do them and should, I let my fear of heights take over and then I know I will hurt myself so I stop.
    Georgette