Page 174 of 196 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 1952

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 174

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I have found that I definitely need a minimum of 75 grams of carb just to function. I recently started to eat clean Paleo. I was surprised to hear Robb Wolf promoting low carb Paleo for weightloss. For about 5 days, I cut some of my carbs. It just felts wrong to me and yesterday I had a huge binge. WTH could possibly be wrong with a potato?

I am interested to see how higher carb works for you.
    You, I've been listening to Robb Wolf's podcasts for years now. The thing I like about him is that he will update his opinions and recommendations with the scientific evidence. You will see as you go through the podcasts how it all kind of evolves(no pun intended). I think the consensus is that a low-carb intervention is a good starting point t get people back on track for the metabolically broken. But it is just a starting place. What you need will change as you do. Right now I have set performance goals for myself. I'm still eating pretty good primal/paleo, but I have added in the carb backloading as a performance booster. If you keep listening to Wolf's podcasts you'll hear a couple of interviews he does with John Keifer who talks about it. It basically uses carb cycling to boost performance and adding muscle while still helping you lean out some.

Also...I could be wrong, but I also think going too low of carbs can be problematic for anyone with thyroid or adrenal issues. Not sure if you are dealing with any of that, but it is something t keep in mind. I know that what weight I have gained back this last year are strictly stress related. Not that I'm obese, but I have gained some. The only thing that changed in the last year and a half was the stress of dealing with what life has been throwing at me. I can only imagine how much I would have gained if I hadn't been still trying to eat clean. I can say that right now I am gaining weight, but the waist is staying the same. Shirts are getting tighter in the back, shoulders, and arms, but I'm OK with that. I don't mind that weight.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    ...but I also think going too low of carbs can be problematic for anyone with thyroid or adrenal issues. Not sure if you are dealing with any of that, but it is something t keep in mind.
    This is definitely the case. I've had half my thyroid removed and the other half is gradually fading. I'm on meds for it and feel fine, as long as I don't go below 50-60 grams of carbs a day. Back when Paleobird did her "Eat Moar Fat" thing, I tried it for six weeks. I gained weight eating below 50g of carbs with total calories less than 1200 a day; and I'm pretty active. I'm also CDO (OCD but in the correct, alphabetical order. LOL!) so I measured and weighed every bite I ate. I lost weight when I upped carbs above 50g and calories around 1500/day. I'm usually at 75ish grams of carbs a day and I feel great.

Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    Shirts are getting tighter in the back, shoulders, and arms, but I'm OK with that. I don't mind that weight.
    *swoons* Me loves guys with good shoulders and arms (and thighs)!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    No thyroid or adrenal problems here and maybe I have fixed myself enough over three years Primal to make higher carb okay for me. My issue is hormonal. Once a month I fight a binge beast. Some months I win, most I don't.

I gave VLC a very good run a year ago. after about 2 months, I developed severe mood issues. The day I thought, "They'd all be better off without me." was the day I dumped VLC for good. I scared the hell out of myself. I am adding back my 1 potato and 2 fruits per day. I work out 5 days a week. It is better for me to lose slower, but feel better and binge less.

My main reason for going Paleo is to force myself to dump dairy and artificial sweeteners due to hormonal response.

Thanks for the input.

I think Mark Sisson should be marketing these.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Oh, that's excellent! I want one!

And just think of the possibilities... in the winter, you could make it of ice, and go ice skating! Use snow, and cross-country ski!

So, today at work a co-worker asked me for fitness advice. Basically, she is going on vacation in the spring and wants to look better in her bathing suit. She's very over weight(obese to be honest). She wanted to know if I thought she could exercise to "tone up" in a few weeks. My short answer was "No." I tried explaining that her body composition, especially early on, will depend more on what she eats than what she does. My advice was to stop eating crap and focus on REAL food. And yes, in the beginning limiting crabs, especially the refined grain based ones(she eats a lot of pasta and pizza). I recommended that she baby step her way in if going cold turkey on all her favorite foods was intimidating. As far as activity goes, I said she should start by trying to take her dog for a long walk every day. I didn't figure it was a good idea to tell someone to go from zero activity to trying to kill it in the gym over night.

I've never actually mentioned "Paleo" or "Primal" to her, but she does know my stance on gluten. I'll ease everyone into full-blown paleo. So...was this decent advice to get someone pointed in the right direction?

I'd also like to say that remembering where I was when I first started this whole Paleo/Primal thing, it is a little strange being the guy people now turn to for this kind of advice.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    That was well done. It probably took a lot of courage for her to ask for advice. I hope she takes it.

Dave, it sounds like perfect advice to me. You might also want to point her to a couple of helpful web sites that don't say "paleo", like westonaprice.org which for some reason is not loading on my computer at the moment... And of course Mark's blog and the "Start Here" link. The success stories might help convince her, too.

And if she's a pizza addict, give her this link: Pepperoni Meatza Recipe - Allrecipes.com

And tell her about spaghetti squash if she wants pasta! Pasta was the last thing my Sweetie gave up, but once I started using spaghetti squash and making zoodles, he's a convert!

My youngest daugher gave me a spiralizer for Christmas, and I love it! Makes great zoodles out of zucchini, and it wasn't very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    That was well done. It probably took a lot of courage for her to ask for advice. I hope she takes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Dave, it sounds like perfect advice to me. You might also want to point her to a couple of helpful web sites that don't say "paleo", like westonaprice.org which for some reason is not loading on my computer at the moment... And of course Mark's blog and the "Start Here" link. The success stories might help convince her, too.

And if she's a pizza addict, give her this link: Pepperoni Meatza Recipe - Allrecipes.com

And tell her about spaghetti squash if she wants pasta! Pasta was the last thing my Sweetie gave up, but once I started using spaghetti squash and making zoodles, he's a convert!

My youngest daugher gave me a spiralizer for Christmas, and I love it! Makes great zoodles out of zucchini, and it wasn't very expensive.
    Thanks. I do want to put people on the right track. And Pebbles, I actually gained respect for her by her asking.

Goldie...how could I have forgotten about MEATZA!!!
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Today's workout:

5 rounds as fast as possible of -
    20 push-ups, 10 pull-ups, 30 squats

I was going to go in to the gym, but home stuff had to come first. I did want to get something in, and this was pretty tough.

I really miss kettlebells, and can't wait for spring

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a fan of meatza. I like to use zucchini as the crust for pizza.