Page 173 of 196 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 1954

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 173

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Wonder Woman!

Merry Christmas, Dave.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Hope everyone had a good christmas. I had a good time, but stayed up too late and ate too much crap. It's time to get the diet back under control. It seem like lately I have using my "carb refeeds" as an excuse to binge on junk(lots of ice is no good, even when it is a high quality ice cream), and the waist line is starting to show it. The thing is, I do need the carbs, and more than just one day a week. I feel better in my workouts with them, and seem to recover faster. So here is the plan: on non-workout days I will stay on the low to moderate side, and on workout days I'll aim for 150-250 grams of carbs. I will just keep them to better sources. Today was a workout day, so I had a big bowl of rice along with some rotisserie chicken. i would guestimate that at about 150 grams. I may have some macadamia nuts later and bump it up a little more, but we''ll see..still kinda full.

Today's workout:

Squats and deadlifts, a bunch of each.

Went a little lighter on the squats so I could go heavier in the deadlifts. It seem that 365 is a sticking point at the moment. I felt pretty good at 365 and thought I could do more. Did I try for 370 or 375? No, that would have made since. I decided to try 385. That was a great big nope. Sometimes I think my grip is giving out before my body is. I'm thinking of getting straps for the heavier lifts. I will still work on getting my grip strength caught up, but I don't want to stop getting stronger everywhere else. I will only break the straps out for the heaviest lifts. It doesn't help that now that I am back working out in the community center there is no chalk for gripping the bar(i guess they don't want the mess). I was getting spoiled with the out-of-town gym I was going to. At the community center I am quickly developing a corner of the gym that is mine. I clear a little area and deadlift. I don't think too many people do them in there. They also only have steel plates and no bumper plates, so I make a little noise putting the bar down. If it were a Planet Fitness, I'm sure I would have been kicked out by now.

So to recap:
    1. lifting is good
    2. I'd like a better equipped gym
    3. Need a stronger grip and some chalk for the hands
    4. Will be following more of a carb back-loading method, but with clean PB foods

more later as I think about it.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Today's workout:

Upper body circuit - 5 rounds as fast as possible

20 push-ups
    10 pull-ups
    8 KB overhead press each side
    10 body rows

3 sets of 10 bicep curl and 10 tricep extensions.

We actually had some sun today and temps in the mid 50's. I had gone outside to play with the kids and decided on an impromptu workout. it was tougher than it sounds. Doing tricep extensions on the rings also works your abs pretty good...who knew?

Now we're getting ready to head out to get some dinner. Going to get some steak. Everyone is tired of leftovers.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Today's workout:

Bulgarian bag squats, 4 x 50
    One arm bulgarian bag overhead press, 4 x 8 each side
    Bulgarian bag step-ups, 3 x 10 each side
    Chin-ups, 4 x 10

I was going to go the gym and get a real workout in, but the family wanted to start the new year festivities early. I think it went pretty well even without the heavy weights. of course, when I say "festivities" it isn't the excitement the rest of you will be up to. It will consist of playing board games, wearing silly hats, making noise, watching the Twilight Zone marathon(my 8 year old's idea), and, of course, eating lots of non-primal food. Oh well, back on track tomorrow.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Today's workout:

Bulgarian bag squats, 4 x 50
    Bulgarian 1 arm overhead press, 4 x 10 each side
    Bulgarian bag step ups, 3 x 10 each side
    Chin-ups. 4 x 10

Another indoor workout at home. I was going to go to the gym and it was supposed to be squat and deadlift day. Unfortunately, we got hit with a big-ass snow storm and ruined my plans. The roads were getting pretty shitty after work, so I just came home. Considering the limitations i still got a good workout in. Dinner was steak with salt a pepper done with a quick seer in really hot coconut oil, and 2 cups of rice.

So, I'm sure that everyone has heard all the resistant starch talk going around. I was listening to a podcast with Robb Wolf and Chris Kresser talking about it. It seems like everything is now being linked to gut health and your microbiome. I think I will do my own experiment and see what happens. A bag of potato starch cost less than 5 bucks, so even if I see nothing different I won't have that much invested.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    ...of course, when I say "festivities" it isn't the excitement the rest of you will be up to. It will consist of playing board games, wearing silly hats, making noise, watching the Twilight Zone marathon(my 8 year old's idea), and, of course, eating lots of non-primal food. Oh well, back on track tomorrow.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
    Sounds like plenty of excitement to me! We played board games (with adult kids), watched "Brave", and after the Times Square ball descended at midnight (10pm for us), we went to bed.

We did, however, get up early on 1/1/2014 and go skiing. Beautiful day--bright sun, cold snow, good company. The best way to start a new year!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Sounds like plenty of excitement to me! We played board games (with adult kids), watched "Brave", and after the Times Square ball descended at midnight (10pm for us), we went to bed.

We did, however, get up early on 1/1/2014 and go skiing. Beautiful day--bright sun, cold snow, good company. The best way to start a new year!
    Skiing sounds like a pretty awesome New Years Day. I've never been skiing, but hope to try it one day. We have some ski places not too far from where I am. They're nothing like what you have over there, but for a beginner I'm sure they'll be OK.

Today's workout:

Whole lot o' deadlifts.

1 x 225 x 5
    1 x 315 x 3
    1 x 345 x 3
    2 x 365 x 2
    3 x 315 x 5
    3 x 225 x 10

Felt good. Worked my way up to the heavier weight. What was my 1RM I now did to 2 sets of 2 with, so good to see improvement. I then worked my way back down to get some volume in.

The other day someone at work was retiring, so of course they brought donuts in. I thought the word had gotten to everyone that I don't eat that stuff, but I guess my supervisor missed the memo. I wish I had a camera to capture the look on her face. I was told I should start adding some decorations to my cubicle. I started by adding this as my computer wallpaper:

I didn't even think it was overtly weird, but I've already gotten a few "what the hell is that n your screen?" At least we get to have the "what is a kettlebell" discussion. I guess it is just a different environment. I was used to the old job where Crossfit was popular and kettlebells were a normal thing.

Today's workout:

Dumbbell bench press
    Dumbbell rows
    Dumbbell overhead press
    Lat pull-down
    Tricep press
    Reverse grip lat pull-down

Back at training, so I got to goo to the nice gym. So here is an interesting problem. Unlike many around here, I actually think I need to eat more carbs. After I got home from the workout I stuffed rice down my pie hole until I felt like I was going to pop, but it only added up to 150 grams of carbs. That's still a little low, but I can't fit any more in. Maybe there is another source that might work better. The thing is, rice is cheap and cheap is good.

Today's workout:

Barbell squats
    Deadlifts
    Goblet squats

Good day. Kept the weights a little lighter and went more for volume. For the deadlifts(after a few warm-up sets) I 5x5x315. I tried to do each rep as explosive and as fast as possible. You can't go for a PR every day. I think these higher volume days will lead to bigger gains.

Again...150 grams of carbs and completely stuffed.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I have found that I definitely need a minimum of 75 grams of carb just to function. I recently started to eat clean Paleo. I was surprised to hear Robb Wolf promoting low carb Paleo for weightloss. For about 5 days, I cut some of my carbs. It just felt wrong to me and yesterday I had a huge binge. WTH could possibly be wrong with a potato?

I am interested to see how higher carb works for you.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 01-08-2014 at 05:56 AM.