Page 170 of 196 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1958

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 170

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Good Luck on your interview.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Here's a shot of my cube:

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Ha! Awesome. The kettlebell is both a doorman . . . and an unspoken threat.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Here's a shot of my cube:

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Ha! Awesome. The kettlebell is both a doorman . . . and an unspoken threat.
    The kettlebell would also be good for ending conversations with annoying people. When the office asshole is in you culd pick it up and start swinging and say "go ahead, I'm listening." If they don't get the hint move into snatches. And when all else fails start doing turkish get ups.

I was back in the office today, and apparently word had gotten around that the new guy Dave doesn't eat bread. I guess there are a couple of gluten free people in there and one of them approached me today to ask me about it. She said that if I ever wanted a treat she keeps lots of gluten free goodies at he desk. She wanted to let me know that the near by grocery store has a great "gluten free" section. I explained that I don't really do the "gluten free" and just stick with meat and vegetables. Her response was priceless. "Oh, are you one of those paleo people?" We talked for a little bit and she talked about how she feels much better and had lost some weight but still deals with IBS symptoms that they don't know what causes them. I tried to hint at doing a true elimination diet and maybe trying an autoimmune protocol. I don't think she is ready to hear it right now, so I didn't push it. This conversation got another co-worker involved. She had seen Forks over Knives and attempted be a vegetarian, but only apparently made it a couple of weeks and now just tries to eat as "good" of food as she can(local and organic), but not always the best choices as far as health and fitness goes. If I don't get the other job I interviewed for and stay here, I think I will turn the office paleo. Both people I talked to just thought it would be too hard to give up all those other foods. I tried to tell them how I don't even miss it now.

Speaking of the interview, I think it went well. It was than standard 3 person panel interview. I think I answered well, but they were pretty good at maintaining their porker faces during the interview(although they did express being very impressed with my training and experience). There were a lot of people being interviewed though. It also appears that the state will be starting a hiring freeze come January, so if the don't make there decision soon it could be delayed for a long time.

I have set a new goal for myself. I still have the usual lose fat, gain muscle, be healthy one. But the new one is a little different, but will help with the others. I want a 400 lb deadlift. I think that it is attainable, but I know it will take some time. At the moment my 1RM is 318(that's calculated based on reps at 300lbs.), which is not bad but not overly impressive either. So an 82 lb increase. Yeah...no lofty goals here.

First the 400 lb mark and then I'll see about this:

My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad to hear the interview went well, and hopefully they make a decision soon!

I don't think I'll ever be able to convince any of my coworkers to change their nutrition, but at least now they are a little more health-oriented. In December we take turns bringing in "treats" every day. In the past it's been cookies, cupcakes, candy, etc. But the first person who signed up this year brought in fruit along with donuts! And people besides me ate fruit! Of course, the donuts went fast, but things are looking up.

Dave, I'll put out my deadlift goal, too. (Why does auto correct want to change deadlift to deadliest every time? LOL!) For reference, I'm a 56 y/o female who weighs 110#. I started deadlifting about a year ago, with a 3 month break because of a broken thumb. Eight weeks ago, my 1RM was 153#. On Thursday I did 3x3 at 148#, but I have no idea how to translate that to a 1RM. I'd really, really love to do 2x my bodyweight. I have no idea how realistic that is, but I'm gonna try!

Eight weeks ago, my 1RM was 153#. On Thursday I did 3x3 at 148#
    There are several different equations out there for figuring it out, but I like to take the lowest one(to err on the side of caution, I guess). The low end would put your 1RM at 157, which is almost 1.5 x your body weight which is great. I'd say 2x would easily be a realistic goal. Like I said, these are calculated, so it's only a reference point until you actually go for a 1RM in real life. But since going for a max every workout is unrealistic the calculations are useful to see if you are staying on track. I'm still new to "true" deadlifting too. In the past my deadlifts where always with lighter weights and either as a warm or with higher reps and part of a metcon style workout. I guess that was one of the drawbacks of a backyard gym with limited equipment. although I still think I got great results and enjoyed the workouts a lot. So I have only done the "real" deadlifts a handful of times now, but I like them a lot(maybe I'm just excited about them being a new thing). Change is a good thing, so I am going to make the best out of the more traditional gym time during the winter, and then, when the weather is nice again, make a nice fusion of both workout styles.

Oh...and if anyone has a Red Robin restaurant anywhere near them, you can get any of their burgers wrapped in a lettuce leaf(and with extra patties added in also). Just FYI.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Today's workout:

deadlifts - worked my way up incrementally to 335 an did 3 x 1
    goblet squats, 4 x 10 80lbs
    KB snatches, 2 x 10 each side 50 lbs
    KB swings, 4 x 10 each side, 50 lbs

The goblet squats, snatches and swings were done fast with very short rest in between each. They really got me huffing and puffing. It would appear that the deadlift equation I used estimated too low. So, for now, I will use 335 as my 1 RM and go from there.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    I will use 335 as my 1 RM and go from there.
    Damn. 335? I'm not sure I could load that many plates on to a bar. Damn good show sir.

Today's workout:

dumbbell bench press
    dumbbell rows
    dumbbell overhead press
    pull-ups(rings)
    body rows(rings)
    tricep extensions

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Damn. 335? I'm not sure I could load that many plates on to a bar. Damn good show sir.
    Thank you sir, but don't get too impressed. There are many women out there that put me to shame(a trait I find hot I might ad).

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    There are many women out there that put me to shame (a trait I find hot I might add).
    And how.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)