Page 165 of 196 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 1958

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 165

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    He also says "low drag, high speed..."
    Best pick-up line ever! I like your husband already.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Yay! So happy for you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    In other news, I will no longer be unemployed. Well, as of November 1st that is. I got the call yesterday. Not the highest paying to start, but not the worst either. It's with the state, so benefits should be decent.
    Good news! What kind of job? Hopefully something not too soul-leaching?

And too bad about youngest... teaching kids to throw up in the toilet is a very practical skill. Glad to hear she's doing better now!

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    According to my wife, the birthday boy appears to have a crush on my daughter. I don't know how I feel about this. In my eyes she is just a baby. Besides, no boy will ever be good enough my my little girl. I know that is cliche, but fuck it. I'll be explaining to the boys that any part of them that touches her I get to keep, so be careful.
    M'friend, I like ya, so I'm going to go out on a limb and be direct. You have two options: 1) be the kind of father from whom your daughter hides all important sexual and romantic information (and to whom she will never talk about the guys she dates or where she has to meet up with them as a result of the above); or 2) figure out how to deal early on with the fact that being an open and accepting father who understands that letting his daughter make small mistakes of the heart early will mean she doesn't make enormous and irrevocable mistakes later (that you might not even find out about). You get to decide now, and how you communicate (or not) with your eldest will also signal to the younger one how to act. If she sees her sister stonewalled by you, she'll say nuts to that and just go around you in radio-silence mode.

My parents chose #1 and it was the beginning of the end for my relationship with them, and it has never recovered and will never recover. They never got to know me as a developing adult, and I told them nothing about those years because they made it known at the time that they'd disapprove of everything (instead of just talking to me about things, whether we agreed or disagreed). They still know nothing. They wasted their entire relationship with me.

Do. Not. Be. That. Guy. We all know you're way better than that, Dave. If your daughter(s!) knows she can talk to you now, she'll talk to you throughout -- and about everything that matters to her. She'll ask for your advice, and she'll trust it, regardless of whether she follows it. More important, she'll know you trust her and that'll help her build trust in herself and her own judgement during the rough, angst- and self-doubt-filled teen years... and those are looming just ahead. (in a few years, right? can't remember your daughters' ages off the top of my head -- sorry!)

And while you probably don't want to hear this... It also means she won't just sleep with guys to piss you off/get back at you. And she'll do exactly that if you treat her like her sexuality is some kind of prize that you get to maintain ownership of.

I can only imagine it's hard being a father of daughters, but you'd be making a huge mistake if you were to take the path my parents took, which is also the one many parents take, sadly. Life's a bitch all 'round, but it's a lot easier to navigate when you've got a dad (and mom, of course) on your side who listens and is backing you up.

Anyhoo. Sorry if that came across harsh or whatnot, but almost all the people I knew who made bad sexual decisions in their teen years didn't have supportive parents they could talk to about much of anything, so a lot of their decisions were based on acting out. It also meant that they relied on their friends as "experts." Yikes. I'm sure you won't make that decision, but thought I'd add some weight behind the argument that you definitely shouldn't.

In other news, I will no longer be unemployed. Well, as of November 1st that is. I got the call yesterday. Not the highest paying to start, but not the worst either. It's with the state, so benefits should be decent.
    Awww YEEEEE-AAAAH! That's awesome! Tell us more when you can! That news deserves a snazzy Tool cover:

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    M'friend, I like ya, so I'm going to go out on a limb and be direct....snipped...
    A smart man is Patrick. Listen to him.

Patrick, your advice is spot on. As far as the kids know that is exactly who I am. It's just that in private with the wife I can't help but to have those dad emotions slip out. The conversation I had with her is that she is pretty, smart, funny, and sweet, so it is only natural that a boy would like her and totally normal and OK. I let her know it is also normal if she liked them back. I just want her to know what is appropriate behavior for 8 and 9 year old kids in this situation. I have noticed that our society has turned out a bunch of 8 year olds that want to act like 18 year olds. Last year(when they were 7) one of her friends was over to play and was talking about dating and trying to get boys to like her. WTF!!! My wife tried to subtly tell her that she shouldn't be worrying about those things, but we aren't that kids parents.

Oh, and that video kicked ass. I'm sure Maynard would have been proud.

Here is the original for all the non-Tool people to compare it.(This video even comes with the cool science to go with it)

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    For sure, man. I figured I was preaching to the choir, but a little reinforcement never hurts! You're totally right that everything is accelerating for kids. There's a lot of pressure for them to be adults but also kids... and to not be under pressure. Not only do they have to juggle real-world interactions but online ones, too. Most of us are digital immigrants; kids are digital natives. Totally different world for them! I'm sure your kids are happy as hell to have you for a dad!

And yup... Tool rocks. Been in love with them since Undertow. Dammit. Now I have a crazy urge to listen to Undertow and Aenema back to back.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Wow...been AWOL from here for a while. It's probably a good thing to take a vacation from e-life once in a while. The bad thing is I have also taken a vacation from workouts. I dis workout yesterday for the first time in about three weeks. I have actually started going to a real gym. Since o don't get off work until 4:30, it is getting dark by the time I get home(fucking winter), not to mention it is a little cold for doing outdoor workouts. I decided that the community center that is right next door to where I work would be a good option. Yesterdays workout was dumbbell bench, dumbbell rows, dumbbell overhead press, and lat pulls. Kept it short and simple(and too heavy) for the first day. Still just a little sore today, but good. Going to go again tonight and do some squats and dead-lifts.

One thing at the gym made me laugh, and reminded me why I stopped going to gyms in the past. There was one kid in there, looked early 20's. In decent shape and weighed about 165 - 170. He loaded up what looked to be close to 400 lbs on the bench. He then proceeded to bounce the bar off his chest, ass came about two feet off the bench, and his spotter looked like he was doing bent over rows while yelling "IT' ALL YOU, BRO!!!" Sorry dude, but you are a fucking joke. Maybe I don't look as "cool" as you, but I'm doing it right. Just for shits and giggles I went to the USA power lifting site and saw that 400 lbs is the WV state record in the collegiate 220 lb weight class.

Anyway, new job is boring(that's why I'm here now). I really can't do anything until I finish training which will mean travelling out of town on four different weeks. I hate being away from the family, but I have no other choice. Right now I am working for the state. I will be interviewing ans processing applications for welfare and other services. The pay sucks, but the benefits are good. I'm just bidding my time until I can transfer to another state agency that is more my lone of work. Funny coincidence though, my old college roommate is a supervisor here in another department. We were best friends but kind of lost contact a few years ago, so this is kind of cool. He's been introducing me around to the higher ups and pushing my qualifications.

That's all for now. I'll have to try and catch up on all the other journals eventually.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

canio6 Guest
    Good luck with the new job. I hope you can jump to something more your speed soon.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, this was perfect timing... I was getting worried about you, but I remembered you'd started a new job. I was about to do a "hello... are you out there..." post!

It sounds like you're in a good position to move into something better!

Don't they have KBs at that gym?

I know what you mean about form, though. I do some of my workouts in the base gym, they have a Crossfit-like area with the Crossfit equipment. It hurts my eyes to see some of these young guys totally dork up their form. I've only ever helped one person, but that was the teenage daugher of a guy working out. I think if I tried to tell a guy twice my size that he could deadlift more if he moved the bar a little closer to his shins when he starts to lift, he'd blow me off. I'm just a (very) small female, what do *I* know about lifting weights...