Page 160 of 196 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 1958

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 160

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Ladders going up are a bitch. I much prefer ladders going down... I don't blame you for stopping at the top! It's still a badass workout!

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Doing the ladders going down does make more logical sense. It was my intention in the beginning, but my idiotic thinking was that maybe it wouldn't be tough enough of a workout and so I should go up and then down. Maybe next time I will do a compromise and start at the halfway point going up and then come back down to 1. I guess all that matters in the end was that it made me sweat.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Today's workout:

KB Snatches, 3 x 10
    KB Clean and Press, 4 x 10
    Pull-ups, 3 x 10
    Goblet Squats, 3 x 12
    Push-ups, 40-25-15
    Body-rows, 3 x 10
    Kb Swings, 1 x 50

I went out there all motivated today, but felt very sluggish once I got started. The sluggishness stuck around for the workout. So that is the first workout in a long while that wasn't perfect. Not that it was bad, just not feeling at my best. I guess the stress of day to day crap caught up with me. I know that when I'm stressed it isn't the best idea to go and add more stress with a workout, but the workout also helps shut down that higher thinking part of my brain and lets me get out of my head for a little while. I guess for me it is a stressor and a stress reliever all in one. I have been trying to look into meditation(the whole working in as well as working out thing), but haven't been able to find a good(aka free) resource that actually shows you how to go about it. If anyone know of a good place to start it would be appreciated, but keep in mind that I am about as "Spiritual" as my kettlebell.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Here's a couple easy meditation techniques. You don't have to sit funny or anything, just sit in a position that's comfortable, where you won't be disturbed for 5 to 15 minutes.

Breathe in and out evenly and pay attention to your breathing. Just how it feels in your nose and how your chest goes up and down. When your attention starts wandering, don't worry--it's supposed to do that. Just notice that your attention was wandering and go back to feeling yourself breathe. If it makes it easier, count as you breathe. Count one (inhale) one (exhale) two (inhale) two (exhale) and so on, but don't go past ten. When you hit ten, start over at one. And again notice that your attention is wandering so go back to paying attention to breathing. Some people use a mantra instead of counting--you know, the "ommm" thing. You can do that instead of counting, with any word or non-word that pleases you.

If you can sit in a place where there's a regular noise, like a running stream or an oscillating fan, instead of paying attention to your breathing, pay attention to listening. You'll find that you hear a lot of other things, too. That's fine. Don't think about the things you're hearing, just hear them. And like the breathing meditation, your attention will wander, so just notice that, and go back to listening.

Don't worry about how long you meditate for. Just do it and when you're done, you're done. Don't "grade" yourself (oh, I didn't pay attention to my breathing very well). It's not about how well you did or didn't do, it's about paying attention to one thing that's happening right now. Your workouts are an active form of meditation, because you're only paying attention to that movement that's happening right now. That's the stress relieving part of it, even as your increasing your physical stress!

If you find it easier to pay attention to only your movements when you workout ("being in the zone"), but feel like you need a break physically, try doing the KB workout movements but without the KB. You'd obviously move more slowly, but it accomplishes the whole purpose of meditation: to pay attention to one thing only, that's happening right now.

I hope this makes sense...

God damn Goldie, that was awesome. I was expecting to maybe get a link to a web site or something, but instead I get an entire lesson. I will definitely be giving this a try. Thank you!

In other news I have an interview on Monday with a big manufacturing company down the road from us. This was one of the companies that about a month ago I just walked in and handed them my resume. I looked online after they called to see what jobs they have listed on some of the career sites and the only one I saw was for an environmental health and safety supervisor. I'm not sure if I meet the qualifications for this. I have had some HAZMAT training(one of my old departments wanted to create what they called "WMD Operators" after 9/11), so maybe. Maybe I can impress them, stranger shit has happened. If nothing else, maybe I can at least get in on the production side and get a little money coming in. I figure that they called me, so something sparked there interest. Still haven't given up on the government job stuff. Took another test on wednesday for a parole/probation job, but state governments are notoriously slow and I need something now.

Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    God damn Goldie, that was awesome. I was expecting to maybe get a link to a web site or something, but instead I get an entire lesson. I will definitely be giving this a try. Thank you!
    You're very welcome! I'm Buddhist, and I've been meditating for a while. I've read lots of books about it, most of which emphasize that "spiritual" part. It took me awhile to distill all that book stuff down into an easy-to-follow technique.

There are, of course, many subject-oriented meditations for specific (spiritual) things, but the basic technique is the same: pay attention to right now. The meditations that involve movement are supposedly the more difficult ones, but I think those of us who work out regularly and understand "the zone" have an easier time doing those.

Good luck on the interview! With our government's inability to actually do any work, I'm not sure having a fed job is the best idea any more. They're talking about furloughs again if they can't get some sort of $$ agreement before October 1st. For now I'll be safe because I'm paid out of working capital funds, not appropriated funds. (Working capital funds are money my agency makes by selling supplies to the other DOD agencies.)

That hazmat stuff sounds a little scary, but it's probably a good field to get into with all the nasty chemical stuff we have in our world today. Just follow all the safety stuff to the letter!

Today's workout:

Done as fast as possible

KB Clean and Press, ladders 10-1
    Pull-ups, ladder 10-1
    Squat w/sandbag on shoulder and KB in hand, ladder 10-1
    Push-ups, ladders 15-1

Felt really good today. When I say as fast as possible(not to toot my own horn) I mean I was going at break-neck speed, and it felt really good. When I first started the push-ups I thought "This is t easy. I should have started with more", but when I hit around 5 or 6 I was singing a different tune.

I thought about what Goldie had said about meditation, movement, and concentrating on the here and now. When I think back on the good workouts of the past and what I was doing in them, I realize that I was focusing solely on my breathing and my form during the workout. It helped a lot and has made the thought of attempting meditation a little less intimidating. I'm going to try and start at about 5 minutes at a time and work my way up from there.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Good Luck. I'm glad Goldie had some advice for you.
    I hope the interview goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    ...I realize that I was focusing solely on my breathing and my form during the workout. It helped a lot and has made the thought of attempting meditation a little less intimidating. I'm going to try and start at about 5 minutes at a time and work my way up from there.

Just remember, how long you meditate for isn't really important. Just do it, and when you're done... you're done. I've found that as I've practiced over the years, I can meditate for longer. How long you do it for isn't the point, though. Just meditate. Sometimes when I'm having a stressful day at work, I'll just do the breathing meditation for about 30 seconds, and that helps too!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Today's workout:

Snatches, 4 x 10
    Clean and Press, 4 x 10
    Pull-ups, 4 x 10
    Goblet squats, 3 x 12
    Push-ups, 40-25-20
    Body rows, 3 x 10
    tricep press, 1 x 10
    Bicep curl, 1 x 12

Good workout today. Now it's time to get ready for oldest's soccer game, and then dinner at Texas Roadhouse. Tuesday is "Fun Night" with a clown, balloon animals, and face painting for the kids, and large pieces of grilled animal flesh for me.