Page 149 of 196 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1958

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 149

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    How do you sit back and watch someone slowly let themselves deteriorate into nothing without trying to help, even if they ignore you?
    You just do. My parents are going that route, also, and despite my obvious successes, it just doesn't do anything with them. So fuck 'em. Some people would rather drown and then scream about the fact they're drowning than grab the fucking rope I just threw them. So, to follow the metaphor, I ain't wasting my time or energy hanging around, holding onto the rope. I know they're my parents, but you can't cure stupid.

On a more upbeat angle, read this and see if you can glean anything from it: Jedi Mind Tricks: How to Get Loved Ones to Lose Weight
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    You just do. My parents are going that route, also, and despite my obvious successes, it just doesn't do anything with them. So fuck 'em. Some people would rather drown and then scream about the fact they're drowning than grab the fucking rope I just threw them. So, to follow the metaphor, I ain't wasting my time or energy hanging around, holding onto the rope. I know they're my parents, but you can't cure stupid.

On a more upbeat angle, read this and see if you can glean anything from it: Jedi Mind Tricks: How to Get Loved Ones to Lose Weight
    You're right. I'll give it one try and leave an open invitation if he ever wants some information. That's all I can do. If he wants it it's there, and if not it is on him.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Today's workout:

warm-up: joint mobility and about a 200 meter run(moderate pace)

KB Clean and press, 4 x 8 each side
    Pull-ups, 3 x 10
    Goblet squats, 4 x 10
    Push-ups, 30-20-10
    Body rows, 3 x 10
    Swings, 1 x 40 - 1 x 30

Good workout today. Kept the rest period between sets to 30-45 seconds. It was a fast workout, but intense. Here's a question for you. Does anyone else find that goblet squats really work your abs? That's were I was really feeling them.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    How do you sit back and watch someone slowly let themselves deteriorate into nothing without trying to help, even if they ignore you?
    You listen to the cues they give you. My family has taught me well:
    1. My father, a diabetic, was in the hospital many times while I lost a lot of weight. In the end, he never asked about my changes and ended up needing is legs amputated to live. He wasn't strong enough to warrant surgery. He died a week later.
    2. My sister has awaken to paramedics in her bedroom due to overestimating her insulin needs and going too low. She has been heard telling family members, M doesn't have diabetes. She doesn't know what it's like. Until she does, she needs to shut the hell up
    3. My BIL lost his leg to uncontrolled diabetes. His response to hearing I was coming to the hospital to visit him--I don't want to hear about her crazy diet.
    4. And the list continues.

My point-- until people are ready to really take control and/or see the need to do things differently, nothing they are told, nothing they see, nothing, absolutely nothing, will help them change.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    You listen to the cues they give you. My family has taught me well:
    1. My father, a diabetic, was in the hospital many times while I lost a lot of weight. In the end, he never asked about my changes and ended up needing is legs amputated to live. He wasn't strong enough to warrant surgery. He died a week later.
    2. My sister has awaken to paramedics in her bedroom due to overestimating her insulin needs and going too low. She has been heard telling family members, M doesn't have diabetes. She doesn't know what it's like. Until she does, she needs to shut the hell up
    3. My BIL lost his leg to uncontrolled diabetes. His response to hearing I was coming to the hospital to visit him--I don't want to hear about her crazy diet.
    4. And the list continues.

My point-- until people are ready to really take control and/or see the need to do things differently, nothing they are told, nothing they see, nothing, absolutely nothing, will help them change.
    Your story has some eerie similarities to my family. My dad, after 2 heart attacks and not managing his diabetes, died from complications from a brain aneurysm(attributed to the diabetes). My sister...well, morbidly obese isn't a strong enough term to describe her. Her husband has a degenerative spine condition that they think is autoimmune related. Dad passed away before I found Paleo/Primal(one of the reason I started looking for a way to make a change for yourself), so I didn't have a chance to tell him about it. The rest show no interest in what I have to say. Thankfully mom listened, and is mostly on board. She probably is more of a 70/30 than an 80/20 follower, but it has been enough for her to see good results(plus, whenever I visit she always gets steaks for dinner and has plenty of bacon on hand). For everyone else I'll just put it out there, and if they want to take it's there. If not it's on them.

Today's workout:

Hill sprints -
    warm up sprints x 3 at 50-70% intensity

Sprints x 6 at 100%

WOW...thought my legs were going to give out on the least one. had the kids out cheering me on, so I had to push hard.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I was too late for my Mom too. She had already been diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. We were able to give her 4 good years, however. For that I am grateful.

Now to get my husband and sons on board...

I think I might need a 12 step program for my macadamia nut problem.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Today's workout:

27 sit-ups
    18 push-ups
    1.5 mile run

Sounds like a weird and pretty lame workout, I know. I have applied for a job(I won't go into the details of it so I don't jinx it), and it requires a physical agility test and the minimum standard is 27 sit-ups in 1 minute, 18 push-ups in 1 minute, and a 1.5 mile run in no longer than 15 min. 20 seconds. All pretty easy stuff, so I was shocked to see people fail it. After the run part I heard guys that were pretty close to half my age saying they were going to go home and crash after this. I was a little surprised at this since my plans were to go home, eat some lunch, and then spend the day doing yard work. I definitely got more of a workout from the yard work. The only thing I am a little bit ashamed of is that I did not wear the VFF's for this. I thought at first it would make me stand out an be memorable, but then I thought that might not always be a good thing. I decided to go traditional with the shoes, and play it safe.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Today's workout:

KB clean and press, 4 x 8 each side
    Pull-ups, 3 x 10
    Goblet squats, 3 x 12
    Push-ups, 30-20-15
    Body rows, 3 x 10

Good workout today. It was short, but I kept the rest periods between sets to about 30-40 seconds so the intensity level was good.