Page 137 of 196 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1958

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 137

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Dude, pull your girls in a sled through the snow. Pull forward like an ox in a yoke, then walk backwards as though you're dragging it. You'll be working everything! And they'll be having fun.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Dude, pull your girls in a sled through the snow. Pull forward like an ox in a yoke, then walk backwards as though you're dragging it. You'll be working everything! And they'll be having fun.
    Oh, not to worry, we do a lot of that. In fact, ever since seeing the movie Balto, they love to yell "MUSH" while I pull them around. I just categorize that under Play, and not Workout. I miss picking up large bricks and throwing them, and I think I'm having some real separation anxiety going on without my kettlebells. Everyday on the way home from work I pass some old truck tires left on the side of the road. I'm determined to stop and get them one day. Can't wait t hit them with a sledgehammer.

Yesterday was going to be a workout day, but I had to cancel. the day before at work I took some digestive enzymes to the face and had a bad reaction. Imagine the feeling of someone putting lit cigarettes in your eyes and then smashing you in the face with a bat. Woke up with the eyes swollen shut and had to call off work. It went away after while and I'm good now. Tonight we are taking the girls to a winter carnival, so i'll get one in tomorrow.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    Talking with my daughter about school, and she told me something that bothered me. She said that kids are allowed, and almost encouraged, to bring there handheld video games in to use use during recess. Apparently all the other kids run to their locker and grab their Nintendo DS for recess. My daughter and one other girl are the only ones that don't. Don't kids fucking play anymore? Now my daughter's recess time suffers because the choice of activities are now limited due to no other kids playing. It's more than just the lack if activity that bothers me. These kids have no ability to use their imagination. Imagination is what turns into critical thinking skills later in life. Not only that, but recess was also about learning to interact and develope social skills. I'm not sure what part bothers me more, that the school allows it or that the parents send their kids to school today with video games.
    Pretty typical nowadays. I never allowed the girls to have anything like this nor will I ever. We don't even own a gaming console.
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Pretty typical nowadays. I never allowed the girls to have anything like this nor will I ever. We don't even own a gaming console.
    That puts you in the "Good Parent" category. The rest are what is wrong with the country. And then they wonder why their kids are the way they are. We do have a Wii for the kids, but it is only for a once in a while thing. It isn't unusual for it to go a week or two without being turned on. The kids do love the dancing though. It's just sad when kids don't know how to use their imagination.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

canio6 Guest
    This is very true, it makes me wonder if the quality of writing/art etc will be far lower in the future due to this lack of imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    This is very true, it makes me wonder if the quality of writing/art etc will be far lower in the future due to this lack of imagination.
    Yep...I know school systems are strapped for cash, but the long term cost may not be realized just yet. Apparently, my daughters music class so far has consisted of watching a video of the musical Annie. That's it. So we are going to do it ourselves. I have a musical background, but not really sure how to teach it to kids. Luckily, we are still in contact with the music teacher from our daughters old school who is awesome. I'm going too reach out to him and gets some advice on resources to help us out. I'm of the opinion that art and music help with every area of learning.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I know around here, there are a few art studios that cater to the school age kids with after school art programs. I'm considering putting the girls in that once the bankruptcy is over. The one nice thing is that our school district has one of the top high school marching bands not only in Ohio but I believe in the nation. They've played in college football bowl parades and have even played at Disney World before. My 2 youngest will be a part of the marching band here when they are in high school.
    Georgette

Dave, I have a question for you. I'm planning on making a kettleball purchase in the next week or 2 and I was wondering what I should consider when making that purchase? I'm trying to figure out what would be a good weight for me to start and I was also planning on getting something heavier as well. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Georgette

Today's workout:

warm-up - light stretching and joint mobility, 3 minutes jumping rope(I don't actually have a jump rope. I thought what is jumping rope other than jumping up and down and swinging your arms around).

Pull-ups, as many as I can stopping just short of failure
    Push-ups, same thing
    Squats, same thing

kept doing this over and over for about 30 or 40 minutes, resting only as much as necessary. This was a pretty good workout. All was done fasted. Just had a banana and some creatine. Going to go make an omlette in a couple of minutes.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Dave, I have a question for you. I'm planning on making a kettleball purchase in the next week or 2 and I was wondering what I should consider when making that purchase? I'm trying to figure out what would be a good weight for me to start and I was also planning on getting something heavier as well. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Geo, that's awesome. It's hard to say which weight to start with. I've read that 8 KG is an average starting weight for women, but there really is no way of telling. I would say to go somewhere that has them and see how they feel. I've swung weights around in Sports Authority and they didn't really care that much. Just don't buy them there, they are really over priced. There are some pretty decent deals on Ebay t tell you the truth. New York Barbells has better deals on there ebay store than on there regular web site. If your looking for instructional stuff, there is tons of stuff on-line. Some of the ones I look at are Mike Mahler, Steve Cotter, Steve Maxwell, and of course Pavel Tsatsouline. They all have books and DVD's out, but also have lots of free stuff out there. Don't try to go all out right away. Really try to learn good form with the basics before getting crazy with the routines and heavier weights.